This Commercial Represents Everything That's Wrong With Murica.

Discussion in 'Mostly Harmless (Serious Discussion)' started by Chelli, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

It's just weird to see so many gun related deaths. Canada gets them sometimes, but people would rather use close-range stabby-stabby methods. A large amount of Canadian guns come from America too, but I guess you can say that it could happen through any black market source (if say, they weren't legal in America).

2. TiamatNM

TiamatNM New Member

I think it's a cultural problem. Bad parenting is the cause of many of society's ills I'd say. American pop culture is also full of trash that glorifies gangs and drugs. Bad parenting and poopy pop culture is mostly to blame for all the gang warfare and stuff like that imo. As for the mass shootings like at schools and such, I think the main fault there lies with the media. Stop plastering the faces of murderers all over the place for weeks and months on end. It encourages copycats looking to immortalize themselves by committing as heinous an act as possible. While the Boston Marathon bombing was mostly a bombing not a gun crime (though they did shoot a police officer) the fact that the surviving bomber got his face on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine shows how the infamy of these people can raise them to a celebrity-like status.

3. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

....he got his face on a magazine? Wow... I had no idea >_> I can't say that this country is any different with putting celebrities on a pedestal though. But sensationalist news be getting their views! ...unintentional, seriously :/

4. ceruleanstars

ceruleanstars New Member

Well, flamebait or not... maybe this is a bad idea, but here goes.

You know, to be honest, I don't know why either. But whether I like it or not, modern America is a gun culture, where guns are revered as icons of power and self-defense. Near where I live, there's an area where some people express apparently serious views to the effect of "kill Obama," "kill all Democrats," "kill all people who don't support the war in Iraq," "kill the disabled, they're all faking it so they can live off the government." And most or all of them own guns.

After a certain point, I can't accept pacifism as the answer, when someone is expressing an apparently honest view that people like me should be, need to be, or deserve to be killed for our political views, disabilities, gender expression, etc. When someone expresses what I can only interpret as a statement of intent to murder me if they got the chance, I believe it's fair to fight back on equal ground. If the only thing that will make them back off is a statement that I'm willing and able to shoot back in self-defense if they come for me, then within a subculture that respects only ability to use violence, that's what I'd do to protect myself, if I absolutely had to. I'm also fairly sure that the majority of those people would never expect me to try to fight back, and the surprise alone might make them back off, if they find out I can defend myself on their terms, rather than being just something to laugh at and view as an easy mark.

I may sound paranoid, but I seriously have nightmares about this stuff. It's not something I WANT to deal with, and I don't want to be a violent person. But it won't go away if I try to ignore it, and there are huge parts of this society that see me as an easy insta-target just because of my gender, for one thing. I come from a family which has had a lot of single women in it (some of whom actually smuggled liquor into the US during Prohibition) and so I guess I got the message hammered home to me, from an early age, that to be a single woman in this society is to be perceived as a target, by people who are ready and willing to use violence against you. I was taught that this was a constant and dangerous threat I always had to be on guard against. That's not something I can ever stop thinking about. I WISH I could change the culture. I'm just very limited in what I can do as one person-- I'm just trying to survive in whatever way I can.

5. TiamatNM

TiamatNM New Member

6. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

Another problem, which can tie into bad parenting, is the lack of help for the mentally ill. I honestly don't care too much for gun control, but I don't want guns to be in the hands for former criminals and those who might be impaired to use it. It's discriminatory and violates the 2nd amendment, but it's a necessary evil for the well-being of most people.

I would prefer if stuff like the Sandy Hook shooting actually brought awareness to help mentally ill people get adequate treatment so tragedies like that wouldn't happen, but I don't see that happening.

I wonder if I get a reply from the FL state legislature since I read about a bill that got passed that allows warning shots to be fired against to-be attackers and I want to hear the whole bill before I decide to pester someone to change it.

Although, Tiamat's definitely right about how media leads to gun violence. How we should combat gun violence is kind of like how we should tackle obesity. Instead of getting rid of things like guns and unhealthy food, it would be a better alternative to change the psychology of people and the environment that surrounds people about certain things because those are the true sources in my opinion to why this happens. Guns are just the medium through which violence is conducted and unhealthy food is a medium through which obesity is caused, but limiting those isn't going to stop the true underlying problem.

7. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Geeze... I mean, he's a good looking guy, so it doesn't help the whole movie-status 'attractive villain' thing :/

As for Rob Ford... as funny as it is, I find his endeavors kinda embarrassing :p You poke fun of it, but you sit there thinking "....really? Whyyy?" I know people like passing Bieber around, but I can think of ONE place that might take him: Sealand! :D

As like you said Klaus, there's more factors. Mental health is looooooow in this country :/ I watched a video where criminals in Scandinavia (either Norway or Sweden) can freely roam the beautiful prison grounds, unshackled. Murderers and all. Part of rehabilitating them. An interesting idea (although you'd want to see more punishment for their crimes) but the most psychotic of people are tough to handle, I can imagine :/ This is why there is plenty of homeless.

8. KlausRealta

Rob Ford? Was he that mayor that did crack and then admitted to sexually harassing some lady? He's a joke and shouldn't be discussed anymore. His political career is dead and it would take a city of stupid and ignorant people to re-elect him unless he happens to be the best candidate in terms of his political agenda. Maybe I'm being too harsh since I'm only seeing the bad stuff that he's done, so I'm welcome to hear anything good that he did his constituents, but I don't see it at the moment.

Sealand? Is that a euphemism for drowning someone or am I looking too closely into that? :p

I think that saw a similar video to that. If I didn't mind physical labor, it looks awesome to go to jail there! I think the focus is to make the criminals do work to pay back society, but also allowing them to easily put themselves back into society. I wonder how effective it is though...

Edit: Topic about America leads to a discussion about a mayor in Canada and the jailing system in northern Europe... let's end this right here before it gets too terribly derailed...

9. SquatDingloid

SquatDingloid New Member

Southern/US gun culture is the weirdest and goofiest effing thing, like it'd be really super hilarious if there weren't people dying from it all the time

and no instructor it does not impress me that you conceal carry everywhere even on campus because of some loophole and manage to have automatic weapons in your car so you can fantasy kill some teenage boys under the guise of "thugs were near my car", and no random PTSD vet student that randomly cornered me after class one day for no gosh darn reason, the ~GREAT AGGRESSIVE HOG INVASION OF 2012~ does not make me feel safe about you, a literally unstable PTSD veteran, owning multiple automatic fire-arms that are YOUR GOD-GIVEN RIGHT TO HAVE SO YOU CAN SHOOT THE AGGRESSIVE HOG POPULATION OF WEST TEXAS, and no dad you don't need to own two shotguns and an assault rifle for home defense, and thanks vietnam-sniper also PTSD great-uncle for showing young me the dead severed deer head in the back of your truck after talking about killing those sand niggers, good talk, and yes thank you criminal justice class presentation for the intellectually dumbfounding and profound conclusion of 'the answer is in the middle' and also that god-awful abortion presentation, what the eff WAS THAT

10. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Well it's kind of a "country" :p It's literally an oil rig some family owns and called it their spot of land. (Hetalia uses it as a joke too).

11. Clessy

Clessy Member

Well I for one effing love the commercial. Pretty much sums up why Americans kick ass.

The best part about being American is every other country hates us for our arrogance but the simple fact of the matter is America is the best place in the world and the rest of you guys are absolutely nothing without us.

Cant fight your own wars, dont make any products or ideas worth having and pretty much 100% rely on Americas economy.

We're so arrogant because the world does revolve around us. Its what happens when you're the best. Its also what happens when you spend the most money and generate the most money.

12. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

Things America is #1 in:

Military spending
    People in jail
    Gun violence

Am I missing anything?

13. KlausRealta

Healthcare spending per capita (trust me, that's not a good thing)

14. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Have you heard of China?

Obamacare is all sorts of screwed up :/ Canada and most of Europe has it good. I move here and I'm like "WTF is a health deductible?? Co-pay?? The doctor actually COSTS MONEY, even if you have a plan?? Why so many forms to fill out??"

15. KlausRealta

I like watching this guy's channel about health care and health care policy and he does a good job at breaking down other countries' health care systems and criticizing comparing them to the US's health care system. Here's his specific playlist on that, but he has other videos:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkfBg8ML-gIngk82SUbTp6Og_KkYfJ6oF

16. Clessy

Clessy Member

China would crumble into uselessness without us. We're the ones buying all their poop that funnels their economies

17. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link! The Canadian one was interesting (of course I watched it first :p) and I'll check out the others later.

18. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Try pretty much the entire world. They also have a large up-and-coming upper class.

19. SquatDingloid

SquatDingloid New Member

*waves a dime and two pennies in the face of starving sex slave warehouse child with lung cancer from synthetic dye production and factory coal pollution* yeah that's right effer you wouldn't have this poop without us, we make your life, aren't you fuckign grateful cause you've never been better, your ancestors have never been better, we made this poop happen, what would you do without our money, you wouldn't do poop, thank us for our devotion to overpriced brand name material goods you little poop, yeah that's what i thought, youre nothing, youer history is nothing, history didn't actually even happen until the united states of america was founded, this is us, i make jobs, you're welcome

20. tilinelson2

tilinelson2 Active Member

No way, gun violence in US is much smaller than in many countries. About the countries with large populations, Brazil is by far the worst in gun violence. Homicide rate is six times over US, and Brazil accounts for 10% of all the homicides in the whole world.

Some people in Brazil would celebrate that Brazil is over US in one ranking.