The Learning Japanese Thread

Discussion in 'Mostly Harmless (Serious Discussion)' started by AttentionDeficitGuy, Apr 9, 2014.

1. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

So yeah, I've finally decided to bite the bullet and start self-learning Japanese. I decided to make a topic here, as it should help me to keep up with it, besides which any of us here on the forums learing the language can provide moral or even practical support to each other. Anyways, for now I'm gonna try to post once per week with my progress (I'll probably update less frequently as I get into my groove).

This week, I got started learning the hirigana. My goal is to know the hiragana (almost) as well as I know my ABC's before I even think about moving on with the language. Not sure at this point whether I'll also try to memorize katakana before starting on grammar and vocab, or just work on the katakana as I go with those, but for now I'm just gonna worry about the hiragana.

This week I made flashcards for the vowel sounds, then the /k/ sounds, the /s/ sounds, and the /t/ sounds, and I've been drilling them several times per day. I'll add 5-10 more hirigana every other day until I'm memorizing the whole syllabary.

2. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

If you need someone to talk with, I am also learning, and have about one year of experience. :3 I am also looking for people to practice with, so once I find a way to type Japanese text, we could definitely be able to help each other out!

I can also give advice and such, maybe. :3 Neat thread.

3. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

I'm not learning Japanese myself, although I plan to start in college possibly if I need language electives, but my brother is currently attempting to self-study Japanese. I don't know exactly what he does, but he uses some program online as far as I know, but he also uses the books "Remembering the Kanji" and "The Learner's Japanese Kanji Dictionary".

So, from people's experiences, do you suppose that I should start learning Japanese by taking a class in college or should I attempt to learn it myself?
    Also, if I were to do the latter, I would start with hiragana and katakana, right? (I have no clue what they are, I just know that they have to do with writing/reading Japanese).

4. DustyStarr

Yes, starting with the hiragana/katakana is a good idea.

Also, I recommend taking classes if you can. The social aspect is important. As well as actually HEARING the language and speaking it with others.

5. Captain Falcon

Captain Falcon Well-Known Member

I have three years of college classes under my belt. Not that it means a whole lot; I'm really not good. But I can help a little. And if you want to do speaking, I have Skype.

It would be much nicer if this forum displayed Japanese; it used to before the update it got a few weeks before it also became the XSEED board.

6. DustyStarr

It doesn't anymore?

TOOMMMM? >_<

7. SavannahBlossom

SavannahBlossom New Member

For anyone serious about learning Japanese, I highly recommend printing out a Hiragana/Katakana chart and also grabbing some either dual language Manga or Japanese manga. It varies upon where you live, but in addition to just ordering them online, you can also find them quite often at second hand book stores. Your goal is to find a manga that has full furigana (transcription of the kanji above the kanji as hiragana/katakana). Lots of manga for kids up to young adult have these. Now, from there, what you want to do is use your chart to transcribe the kana (Kana is a phrase used for the combination of Hiragana/Katakana) into romanji (Latin letter equivalents for Kana/Kanji). Your goal is to use that chart only when necessary. At first, needing it for every single character, but slowly weening yourself off of it and gain the ability to transcribe Japanese into the Latin alphabet without the assistance of the chart at all. That will be your first step toward Japanese, as I am of the mind that learning Kana first is important to gaining reading comprehension and maintaining it.

Everyone is different when it comes to learning, but I found the above method helps the Kana chart stick in memory longer than brute route memorization by staring at the Kana chart and trying to memorize it or even writing down the character over and over with the Latin equivalent beneath it (most classes seem to use this method to teach the Kana table).

8. akito666

akito666 New Member

I studied Japanese during high school, college, and university. I also do some learning off animes, galges, movies, music, tv drama series and variety shows. I also use this kanji input dictionary online sometimes. I have two Japanese dictionaries. I have also been to Japan a few times.

9. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

Okay, forgot to update a few days ago :p

Anywho, I've been making good progress memorizing the hiragana, having added the /n/ and /h/ characters to my flashcards. I've also been looking out for hiragana whenever I'm just doing whatever (like during the credits of an anime or here and there in some games) and treating that like extra memorization, remembering the sound each one makes whenever I see it. In any case, I think I should be working on memorizing all 46 by this time next week!