The Hockey Thread

Discussion in 'Mostly Harmless (Serious Discussion)' started by UltraKyu, Apr 28, 2016.

1. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

God. The HNC guys won't shut up about how great the Oilers *USED* to be. That was 30 years ago, you idiots.

2. Luma

Luma Well-Known Member

The defense is still lol, one draft ain't gonna fix that.

Matthews is jesus, fo sho. I don't think anyone is expecting him & Nylander to drag them to a playoff spot this year though. Okay maybe some people, but we ignore them...

Probably since the new arena is opened, there's more discussion about the old eras.

3. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

I'd agree, but they do it every damn year.

And how every one of their #1 draft picks is going to be the next Gretzky.

4. Luma

Luma Well-Known Member

Gretzky also thinks every player in the world is the next Gretzky when they ask him. There just ain't gonna be one.

Mcdavid is at least meeting the hype, contrary to all the previous no.1s. I'm glad Toronto got a Matthews and not a Yakupov

5. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

So glad to see that losing Eric Staal hasn't hurt the Hurricanes' game, in the least. Losers.

On a side note, I'm going to share one hockey jersey that I or a family member owns every Thursday: Jersey Jeudi!

Week one: San Jose Sharks original
    [​IMG]

6. Luma

Luma Well-Known Member

When I was young I was really into those jerseys. The teal probably made me Sharks fan, though I didn't really watch them until Thornton/Marleau/Nabokov era.

One of my big hockey-watching memories is staying up until like 4-5am to watch the 4OT Game 6 against Dallas in 2008, where SJ got eliminated. Nabokov played so well in that game :<

7. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Sheesh. The HNIC roundtable douches are *still* whining about Dennis Wideman's suspension for hitting the linesman. Get over it, dumbasses.

8. Luma

Luma Well-Known Member

I didn't know HNIC aired in the US. Or streaming?

I feel bad about Buffalo, losing Eichel and now Kane for weeks. That Kane hit looked brutal.

Marner's goal last night was siiiiiiiiiiiick

9. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Streaming.

10. Captain Falcon

Captain Falcon Well-Known Member

Oilers got routed. Suck it!

11. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Can the Hurricanes be downgraded to 'Mild Breezes' now?

Or not. They do blow, afterall.

The best part was RJ's play-by-play. He was having a blast, and it was hilarious.

12. Luma

Luma Well-Known Member

Talbot was pretty bad

I finally get a chance to watch McDavid at a decent hour and nothing from him :<

dohoho

13. lail

lail Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the way people play in front of him, I wouldn't really put too much blame on Talbot.

14. Luma

Luma Well-Known Member

Leafs choke, what's new
    true dat
    (that dump in from centre ice goal was on him tough)

15. Luma

Luma Well-Known Member

However, I will say that I'm coming to strongly dislike the current overtime system. 3 v 3 is basically flipping a coin and doesn't resemble hockey at all, when the game reaches this point, you can't cheer for your team to play well, you're just hoping someone gets lucky, because somehow winning this way counts the same as winning in regulation.

16. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

That Jets game was great! What a comeback, and a hat trick for Laine to win the game!

17. Luma

Luma Well-Known Member

Not great from Leafs perspective lol
    It was a lot of turnovers and defensive gaffes from both sides though. For a neutral fan probably quite enjoyable :p

The first goal from Laine was sick wasn't it? Both receiving the fluttering puck, and then somehow turning and whipping it up top with no space at all and a guy on him. Highlight for sure.

Nylander played good for Toronto I think. (Zaitsev too, in 2 games already looking like their best defenceman)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  18. lail

lail Well-Known Member

I wish I had watched that. But I had an exam today so I decided that getting a couple of hours of sleep is better, not too sure anymore. In fact I haven't had the chance to watch any of games this season yet, except for the 3rd period of first Sharks game because I woke up early that morning.

19. Luma

Luma Well-Known Member

Getting sleep for exam is more important at least this time of year~

20. moonchow

moonchow Well-Known Member

Really?
    3v3 is so much fun to watch though. You can't deny that, right?

Is it any more of a tossup than the shootout? Certainly it's not worse than the shootout. I personally hate that garbage. Taking a team sport and turning it into one on one contests to decide a winner for a full two points is nonsense.

If you have to have a winner, and I am of the opinion you totally should, because ties are BS, then why not go with the 3 aside? Again, it's better than the shootout, right?

Also, how is 3v3 not hockey? It requires a different strategy/approach, definitely, but it's still about team skill and strategy. Plus, like I said, it's so exciting to watch.
    It's like pickup hockey. The purest form of hockey, I think...