The Hockey Thread

Discussion in 'Mostly Harmless (Serious Discussion)' started by UltraKyu, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Captain Falcon

Captain Falcon Well-Known Member

2. Luma

Luma Well-Known Member

Well at least our franchise player doesn't look like a clown so harumph!

Rounds 2 through 7 today, hopefully some exciting trades happen today.

3. Luma

Luma Well-Known Member

Hall for Larsson

Subban for Weber

Stamkos staying in TB for 8.5 x8

Canadiens and Edmonton got wrecked. Probably drafting Puljujärvi spelled the end for one Edmonton forward, but I'm surprised it wasn't Eberle or RNH. They certainly needed a Larsson type young defender, but that is a huge price to pay.

4. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Those are some big trades.

5. Captain Falcon

Don't know if Carey The Team Price will be able salvage that team this year.

6. lail

lail Well-Known Member

When I saw the headlines 'Subban traded' & 'Hall traded' I thought it was Subban-Hall trade.

I thought Oilers would trade RNH or Eberle, but maybe they couldn't just get much with them.. They had to make a move for defenseman anyway.

Have the rules for expansion draft been made already? Can we expect some more big trades because of the draft?

7. Luma

Luma Well-Known Member

He's gotta carry about as much as Lundqvist at this rate, poor dude

I hate Montreal though so this makes me happy

Each team can protect 7 forwards/3 defensemen/1 goalie or 8 skaters/1 goalie. Anyone with no-movement clause has to be protected.
    1st/2nd year rookies are exempt. (So, Leafs don't have to protect Nylander or Matthews, for example)

I think the 1 goalie restriction will cause some trades, TB has said Bishop is probably traded next year because he would definitely be taken. Elliott and Andersen trades might have had similar reason. Maybe a team like Nashville that's deep on defense will trade their fourth best D for a forward or something.

8. lail

lail Well-Known Member

Yay, we have even more things in common!

But how is this trade 'so bad' for Montreal, for sure Weber's contract has some risks but.. I would take Weber over Subban 8/10 times. This only made Montreal only stronger for next few years IF they can get someone to make goals. But let's hope they keep their coach and nothing of the sort happens. And didn't Subban also say something along the lines "I'm defenseman it's not my job to score goals" when MTL was tanking last year?

I believe NSH will go with 8+1 and protect their top4 defense unless they get another top forward. Interesting to see what Hawks or Columbus does with their contracts, don't they have quite a few with NMC/NTC?

9. Luma

Luma Well-Known Member

It is strange they traded for someone older when they really aren't in a place to go for a cup right now. He's also got 10 years left on his contract, so he'll have 8mil cap hit when he's 39, and many are saying his defensive abilities are going down in recent years. I haven't seen many Nashville games, but the game 7 against San Jose he was pretty bad. He's probably still Top 20 Dman, but I don't understand Montreal's thinking. I agree with you, next ~2 years are a bit better, but they need more offense to take advantage of that.

And you're right about Hawks/Columbus. Hartnell, Clarkson....who wants to protect those guys lol

10. lail

lail Well-Known Member

Free Agent Frenzy is a bit more interesting this year compared to last.
    Some big names signed so far:
    3.4 x 5 Reimer - Florida Panthers
    5.5 x 7 Ladd - NY Islanders
    6.0 x 7 Lucic - Edmonton Oilers
    3.75 x 2 Perron - St. Louis Blues
    6.0 x 5 Backes - Boston Bruins
    6.0 x 6 Eriksson - Vancouver Canucks
    6.0 x 7 Okposo - Buffalo Sabres
    4.5 x 4 Brouwer - Calgary Flames

Quite long contracts for Lucic and Ladd.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  11. Luma

Luma Well-Known Member

As usual totally insane money and length for almost everyone.

I hope the Leafs stay out of this.

Campbell to Hawks for 1yr is good
    Perron to STL is pretty good deal

12. Luma

Luma Well-Known Member

World Cup of Hockey exhibitions are going on. Hockey is back, kinda.

This tournament means nothing, but it's a chance to see guys back in action and warming up before the season proper. The Canada vs USA games were really fun; even though it was an exhibition match there were nasty hits and shot blocking and a lot of those things you only see when players are into it. Like, dudes, you don't have to block Shea Weber slapshots in an exhibition. On the other hand, it's enjoyable this way. Was concerned about whether the players would actually try or not. Though if someone gets injured and misses NHL time because of this, there will probably be rioting...

Today was an NA/Under 23 vs Europe match. Less intense but lots of skilled play. Gaudreau was really impressive.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  13. lail

lail Well-Known Member

How expensive are the tickets down there? For exhibitions.

14. Luma

Luma Well-Known Member

About $20 from what I've seen.

15. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

16. Luma

Luma Well-Known Member

That particular logo is an abomination of an attempt at a maple leaf unfortunately

So I learned yesterday that Brad Marchand is from Halifax., meaning 2/3 of Canada's top line is from Nova Scotia.

Now we just need Nathan MacKinnon to get in there, clearly this is the secret sauce to winning.

You guys know any players from close to home?

17. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

T. J. Oshie. He's from Mount Vernon, WA, which isn't too far from where I live.

18. Luma

Luma Well-Known Member

World Cup is over, and not a moment too soon. Truly a snoozer of a final game.

Some nice goaltending from Halak and Price, anyways. I remember when they were both on Montreal years back and thinking management were crazy for picking Price after that Washington playoff series Halak had. I guess they both turned out well, but damn, Price is so elegantly good. But I can't like him because he's on Montreal :<

That's pretty cool. I like Oshie as a player, loved watching his highlight reel goals on St. Louis when he was younger. Maybe a bit less nifty now that he's on Washington/older but more consistent I suppose.

19. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Finally, the season's begun!

20. Captain Falcon

Good job Toronto. God damn losers. If Matthews doesn't know true despair right now, he will.