The Hockey Thread

Discussion in 'Mostly Harmless (Serious Discussion)' started by UltraKyu, Apr 28, 2016.

1. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

For, you know, hockey talk.

Anyway, Predators won!

2. Captain Falcon

Captain Falcon Well-Known Member

I was talking to my brother, and he raised a good point: what would happen if the Sharks and Blues both made it to the conference finals? You'd have the xfdSharks against the Ken Hitchcockups. How could only one team choke?

3. Lumakochan

Lumakochan New Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sharks made it, for the same reason everyone expects the Caps to go far this year(maybe not after that lousy round 1 performance, but still): their issues were similar. Caps were top heavy, and if Ovechkin/Semin weren't producing the whole team fell apart. Likewise, in years past if Thornton and Marleau didn't produce, Pavelski couldn't do it alone. This year, neither team is relying on just big players to win their games; they have much more balanced scoring options that allow them to win games where their top players aren't producing.

4. lail

lail Well-Known Member

Game 7 and BB's Ducks, and fourth time in a row Ducks lose game 7 at home. I wonder if they gonna keep BB for another year, or try something different.

Caps/Penguins tonight. I guess people are expecting Caps to win even though their not-so-good first round performance.

5. Captain Falcon

Not so good? I seem to recall them steamrolling the Flyers; only the goaltending of Michael Neuvirth kept it from being a sweep. Now, you could say that that was more due to the Flyers looking like a peewee hockey team instead of a professional one than the Capitals being at the top of their game, but in that case, it's hard to judge anyway.

6. Lumakochan

Lumakochan New Member

Philly was awful but the last 3 games Washington had 2 goals total, even against a hot goalie that's not gonna cut it.

7. Captain Falcon

On the goaltending front, it's not like the Pens have Fleury (who I honestly never thought was that great anyway). Even with how this Murray guy has been playing (I watched none of the Pens series), I think goaltending goes to Washington with Holtby. As long as offense shows up, I think the Caps are favored.

8. Lumakochan

Lumakochan New Member

You're forgetting one man

PHIL THE THRILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL KESSELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

nah I agree with you

And Pits losing would give Toronto a slightly higher 1st so go Capitals

9. Captain Falcon

Toronto is not going to be less of a turd next year than it was this year.

I think it'll be hilarious if they don't get any of the top three picks. This new system would've sucked balls for the Sabres the last two years, with Reinhart and Eichel steeping up, but they did well enough this year that it's mostly moot for them.

10. Lumakochan

Lumakochan New Member

They really need a top 3, so bad. Don't care if it's 1,2, or 3, but TO needs that.

They'll still suck next year definitely, but I'll actually want to watch since it should be less garbage vets and more Nylander and Nylander's hair and perhaps Marner.

11. Captain Falcon

Edmonton will get all three. Even if that's not actually possible.

And they'd still find a way to suck.

12. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

T.J. Oshie gets the hat trick, and the Caps get the OT win.

13. Lumakochan

Lumakochan New Member

The smooth skating on that wrap-around

14. lail

lail Well-Known Member

Team that scores more wins. Edmonton just needs more offensive power. Right?

Well, Edmonton might find a way to not suck so much if they traded pick for top D-man (hey, having at least one NHL player on defense might not be a bad idea) and then get rid of Eberle. But we all know that's not gonna happen. No way they'd take a risk like that. And I'm not sure anyone's willing to give up a top D-man. So, Oilers top6 next season: 2016 1st overall, McDavid, Hall, Yakupov, RNH, Drasaitl + Eberle
    How many 1st rounders is that, and how many 1st overalls? And yes, they would still find a way to suck.

15. Lumakochan

Lumakochan New Member

In hindsight it's a shame they finished so low in 2012, so many D-men came out of that first round...Reilly, Lindholm, Trouba, Dumba all in the top 10 while Yakupov has stalled. So hard to trade for a top d-man as well. Can only think of Johansen for Jones recently, but Jones is more potential top D-man, and Johansen is better than probably all those Edmonton players save McDavid.

16. lail

lail Well-Known Member

Yeah. They could try with 1st round pick + Yakupov/Eberle, maybe they could get a d-man with that.

Also Ducks relieved Boudreau from his duties. They had to do something. I'm expecting Ducks will try to move some other pieces as well. They kinda have to aswell.

17. Lumakochan

Lumakochan New Member

They have to, but at the same time who would you get rid of on the Ducks

18. lail

lail Well-Known Member

Might depend a bit on who is their next coach. Problem is Getzlaf and Perry are too expensive but you can't really let them go either. Also not sure if they can keep both goalies, so one may have to go. Then D-mans I'd say let Fowler go. No sane GM would take Bieksa/Stoner so trade them to Boston for sth good. Or something else, but they need big changes.

19. Lumakochan

Lumakochan New Member

You're probably right on Fowler, and he could certainly bring back some value in a trade as well

20. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Stars take game one over the Blues.