The Fantastic Happy Time Msd Bar

Discussion in 'Online Refugees' started by MainCharacter, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Yuri

Yuri Well-Known Member

I know but I truly enjoy cute fanart more when I know the source material, so a lot of times I'll just watch something that's constantly being bombarded on my Twitter.

In the case of this show though, I watched it in three days because my friend was making a RP of it, and I wanted a reason to write again with said friend after a three years gap. Now I'm loving all the fanart I see of it everyday online.

saldite likes this.
  2. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! I've been busy with family for the past week and a half now so bit late, but whatever!

I'm glad you found something you liked!

Glad to hear you are!

Literally just got back after a long drive home.

I haven't watched Demon Slayer but I have a couple friends that have that really enjoy it and have said good things about it. I think if I was going to watch an anime again (I haven't watched much in the past year or so), I'd start off with the latest season of Chihayafuru.

saldite likes this.
  3. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

To be fair, I was out of the anime loop for years before I was out of other nerdy things. I haven't consistently watched anime since like 2012. Though, yes, I am more out of it now than I was a few years ago. But I'm willing to explore my roots a little bit. I think I'm willing to do a lot of experimenting with what I'm into within the next few months.

There's only one way to find out. How much bread can you eat?

Is One Piece that popular? I had no idea it was number one for eleven years. That's insane. Anyway, the plot of Demon's Slayer sounds rather generic, but I suppose that's anime. Apparently it has music by Yuki Kajiura, so that's all anyone had to say actually. Glad she's still doing stuff.

RP! Do people still do that? That's great. I remember when we tried to do that once here.

I was a little curious where you were but I'm certainly in no position to judge.

I liked them all, to be honest. But it was down to two finalists in the end and this one won out. I like her nails.

You stopped watching anime but you still read manga?

saldite and Scyth like this.
  4. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

I believe we tried several things, though not all strictly an RP. I know I ran a choose-your-own adventure.

When I visit my family, I tend to cut off a lot of internet communication for the duration, for a couple of reasons. One being that it's too much for me to keep track of all the internet communication I normally do in addition to being with family. I only have so many spoons (even though I have a lot of them). The other being I just like to step away for a bit from it all and enjoy being with my siblings.

A good choice!

Yup. Manga is easier to consume in my opinion, since it's always at my pace of reading, and since chapters are relatively short, I can always take a break at any chapter. That's why, despite taking a break from anime for a bit here, I still read manga - because I both can read tons in the half hour I'd have to dedicate to a single episode of anime and read way less than a half hour worth of manga. It's also easier to read manga when doing other things, since it always waits for me, unlike having to pause anime (which I don't like to do).

Yuri and saldite like this.
  5. saldite

saldite Most Incrediblest

scyth use to make fun of video games. video games were for nerds. anime for life.

scyth now plays video games
    scyth now reads manga
    scyth DOESN'T watch anime

scyth is becoming me. i feel like i've become a bad influence on you.

Sadly, not enough to find out if Olive Garden will kick me out. I'm going to have to put together a team for this job.

Scyth is like where I get half of my manga/general comic consumption from tbh.

Yuri and Scyth like this.
  6. Captain Falcon

Captain Falcon Well-Known Member

I've actually started getting more and more into light novels, myself. Mostly series that I started watching the anime, but I've been getting into some that don't have an anime. Actually just read the latest volume of Danmachi (that got delayed for OVER FOUR MONTHS).

saldite likes this.
  7. saldite

What are some LNs you recommend, Falcon?

8. SilentThisSide199x

SilentThisSide199x Well-Known Member

I still recommend Baccano.

Scyth likes this.
  9. Yuri

Yuri Well-Known Member

How does Danmachi's source material hold up? The anime dropped the ball big time.

Uuu, I hope I get over being sick soon...

10. Captain Falcon

I'm still only into a few right now. The two I've been following for some time have been Danmachi (Is It Wrong To Try and Pick Up Girls In a Dungeon), and The Devil Is A Part Timer, both of which I really enjoy. I started grabbing a few more series in the last few months. My one coworker wanted me to watch Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest, which I had no idea what it was even about. Then I start watching it "oh boy, isekai, my favorite!" And then "oh boy, edgy isekai!" The anime left... a fair bit to be desired, but I liked it enough to get the LNs, which I think are a lot better.

As for my newest series, I bought I've Been Killing Slimes For 300 Years And Maxed Out My Level (another isekai, oh boy). Bought three volumes, although haven't finished the first yet. Finally, I started The Alchemist Who Survived Now Dreams of a Quiet City Life, which is about a girl who is a dime a dozen alchemist, she falls asleep for 200 years, and wakes up to discover that she's the only alchemist left in the region (due to the world's mechanics, alchemists can only exercise their abilities in the regions they've made a pact in, and nobody has been able to in the MC's in the 200 years that she's been asleep). Anyway, for once in something I'm reading, the MC has no combat abilities to speak of; her goal is basically to, well, live a quiet life applying her trade.

If I;m doing recommendations, I think I'll go with my original LN series and say The Devil Is A Part Timer. I really like the story, and I think it's pretty funny. I'm actually a bit miffed they never made more anime of it (the anime only covered the first two novels, and there are like 20).

I do like the anime (first season anyway; haven't watched the second), but I think the problem is that a lot was rushed. The first season covered the first five books, which is stretching a lot thin. The two main arcs the second season covers are only a book a piece, so I haven't watched it yet, but hopefully they paced it better. Then the last two episodes covers one of the side stories of book eight. But then, skipping most of book eight misses out on fairly important characterization of a number of characters; the stories themselves aren't particularly important, but they speak to the motivations of several characters. And that's my thing with the anime in general: there are a number of times they skip over small but significant details, like
    When Riveria notes that all of Bell's abilities were S, the anime doesn't mention that his agility was actually SS, something thought to be impossible. Don't know if the anime covered it, but during the War Game, Hestia notes that all his abilities before leveling up to Two were SS, except for agility at SSS.

I really hope they don't F up the next season. Presumably it will cover books 9-11, which are all one arc, and it's honestly where I think the series really starts to shine.

saldite, SilentThisSide199x and Scyth like this.
  11. SilentThisSide199x

I would also like to clear up that Danmachi was originally going to be titled Familia Myth but... marketing.

12. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

That's a way better name. RIP Light Novel marketing.

This sounds rad as heck. I quite like this.

SilentThisSide199x likes this.
  13. SilentThisSide199x

Yeah I've been wanting to read the alchemist LN since I've heard of it too.

Scyth likes this.
  14. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

I've been hit with a bout of insomnia this past week or so. It's absolutely horrible.

Anyway, light novels, hm? My main exposure to them would be through their anime adaptation, though I do recall reading the first few Haruhi and Full Metal Panic ones back when... those were relevant, I suppose. Oh, and Fate/Zero back when Fate was... just that and F/SN. I guess I'm trying to say I've missed the evolution of the medium. The long titles thing is definitely something I've noticed in the anime of the past several years. I don't really get it, I guess it's a marketing style that works in Japan but it really turns me off. I'm not against trying some of them out, though. I always was hesitant to get into anime based on them because they seemed to be infinite in length, to a degree where it was unreasonable to expect an adaptation to actually get through it all, plus it usually meant the story would be stagnant for a long time and no character development would happen, though in retrospect I'm sure that's not always the case.

Unrelated to that, I've just watched all three episodes of the new Dracula show and I can say with confidence that I absolutely hate it.

Scyth and Yuri like this.
  15. Yuri

Yuri Well-Known Member

I actually didn't know who Yuki Kajiura is, but it seems like she's worked in really big projects! I guess that's a name to watch out for.

Hm, so roleplaying has always been one of my favorite hobbies ever since I was little. I just love writing, it's even more fun with friends. You get to immerse yourself in fantastical adventures with your friends, and for a brief moment, you completely forget about irl.

Every post or response feels like a love letter. I love opening them.

It's developed so much from when I started. People have out of character Discord servers now instead of just a thread where people plan things + talk about everything else; you also tag other users in posts now to notify them of their characters being mentioned so no one misses anything; and people use like MMO servers to roleplay so it's not restricted to just forums or chat rooms.

tbh it's strange being like one of the older members on a forum since I have always been the baby of my internet family. I like that people are so helpful to one another there though, and get excited and yell about their characters with me. It's my favorite part about creating stuff with others.

Actually, the second half of 2019 was probably the toughest time of my life yet. It was very emotionally and mentally taxing on me (and my loved ones) and its negative effects were quickly spreading to almost every aspect of my life. I was really desperate to get out of the rut I was stuck in, so I tried my best to reconnect and do things with my online best friends, but I felt like they didn't have the time or energy to deal with me. Lol, which is fair. I kind of didn't communicate with them as much before that and it's not their responsibility to help me get out of my mess. I have to help myself, right? So I put my big boy pants on and decided to go back to writing. I was really nervous at first, but honestly, roleplaying saved me from my depression. I'm just so grateful for it.

I loved both the first seasons too, especially Part-timer. It was hilarious. I'm glad they're actively translating it. I think Danmachi is solid too. The first season waa good, but it's been lacking since. Where do you read them?

Aw, that's nice. I prefer Danmachi, though. Sounds cuter.

Scyth likes this.
  16. Captain Falcon

I've actually seen her perform live at AX.

I buy them. Format depends. For instance, I own all my Devil Is A Part Timer books physically, but all my Danmachi copies are digital.

It basically amounts to the fact that there's so many LN series that you need to tell people what your "hook" is immediately, or they'll just pass you right over.

Yuri and Scyth like this.
  17. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

She's been my favorite composer since I was literally a child and watched .hack//SIGN. Her style is really unique and often sounds very... grand yet pretty. I think Kara no Kyoukai and Fate/Zero is some of her best work, though I'm also a big fan of random songs she's done from other stuff too. She's been behind a lot of groups too, like Kalafina and FictionJunction. Though since I've been out of the anime and video game scenes for a bit, I haven't really listened to any of her new stuff, or really much of her old stuff in a long while.

Some examples in the spoiler tags (for post size reasons), if you are interested.

Ahh, this is some of my favorite music. I definitely need to check out the recent stuff she's done soon.

That all sounds really interesting. The one we tried here that I'm thinking of never took off the ground too much for various reasons, but I still remember the character I made for it. No idea if we were doing it right or not, I was relying on others with more experience for that.

The way it's described also kind of makes me think of the way people talk about Dungeons & Dragons, at least from the show Scyth sent me to. With less "mechanics", I suppose, and just the story telling part, yeah?

I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm glad things are getting better now. The very end of 2019 was pretty rough for me too. Not as rough as a few years ago, thankfully, but it was pretty bad. Had a falling out with my group, though I also think it's for the best. They were toxic people and I had to cut them out of my life. They were mentally putting me back in the place I used to be in, when I was... well, you know.

So, hey, here's to 2020 being a good fresh start, right?

And I'm really enjoying being here more too, this feels nice.

My jealousy is literally immeasurable.

I mean, isn't that the case for any medium though? There's a lot of regular novels too, a lot of TV shows and movies. But you don't see The Avengers being called "Our Cute Group of Super Heroes Must Fight The Man Who Has Magic Stones". That's what, like, the back of the book/box is for, the artwork on the cover, etc.

Scyth and saldite like this.
  18. Captain Falcon

Love you too, Cupcake.

19. saldite

I can't think of any reality where this isn't a better title for The Avengers.

Scyth likes this.
  20. Captain Falcon

I kind of was thinking "well maybe it should be called that" myself.

Scyth and saldite like this.