The Fantastic Happy Time Msd Bar

Discussion in 'Online Refugees' started by MainCharacter, Jul 21, 2010.

1. SilentThisSide199x

SilentThisSide199x Well-Known Member

2. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

I do think there are tons of really excellent, really wonderful games that have and continue to come out that are neither of those. Video games as a platform to explore stories and ideas is honestly better now than it has ever been, and only continues to get better. The tools for people to realize their ideas into existence continue to improve and become more accessible.

I concede the medium may not interest you at all, but there's quite a lot of good things, and quite a lot of good variety, out there.

3. SilentThisSide199x

Books are better imo

Or hmm

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  4. SilentThisSide199x

Also I should probably have said subahibi is not actually homophobic it's just about an incel turned cult leader who's like very obviously repressing his sexuality and gender

It's just like an emotional contextualization of the philosopher Wittgenstein's philosophy and it's really, really good. Unfortunately I can't describe more than that without going into major spoiler territory.

5. Captain Falcon

Captain Falcon Well-Known Member

I personally like BotW a lot. I thought it was a nice change of pace from the traditional Zelda fare. Also a lot harder, at least at first. It was by no mean perfect (weapons that break after five hits can EAD and the "dungeons" left a lot to be desired), but still one of my favorite games of the generation. I'm really looking forward to the sequel.

6. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

Books are different and fine, but I'm hard pressed to say any medium is particularly better than another.

[Edit] Also books aren't progressing nearly at the same speed video games are. Nor are they as accessible, both from a creator standpoint and from an audience standpoint.

7. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

I mean, that's why I was asking for recommendations. What would you say are good examples of games in the last few years that have done this?

I see. Being honest, you could not have introduced it to me in a worse way than "it's homophobic", but I get you.

I'm glad you and many other people like it. I know other people who feel the same way as you.

Well, knew, I guess. I don't expect many people to remember a detail like this but awhile back I mentioned I had a breakup I wasn't fully over. I actually watched bits and pieces of the game being played. But I'm going to stop talking about that because apparently I'm still still not over it and writing that was weirdly hard and I'm so pathetic but whatever I'm going to leave it in because yeah I've seen the game.

Anyway. Yeah, I don't think I'm ever going to play Breath of the Wild. I understand it was that change of pace you and others were looking for, but it was changed to a pace that wasn't what I wanted from Zelda, if that makes sense?

8. Captain Falcon

On the other hand, there's the Switch remake of Link's Awakening, which is literally just Link's Awakening. Seriously, it's the same damn game.

9. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you mean not visual novels, since I don't think my recommendations for those have changed since you last asked. Unfortunately recommending RPGs or more indepth games are a little more difficult because, for one, I don't play as many (time to play through a full-fledged RPG is limited), and two, the the mechanics and gameplay becomes more important and relevant. I can recommend a VN on story online because it's mostly if not completely all story, but recommending games is a touchier place because some people may not like certain gameplay elements.

That being said, I'll try. Note that probably quite a few of these I probably haven't finished myself (see: time):
    • 428 Shibuya Scramble: I actually haven't played this game at all but I had it highly recommended to me by friends, and also own it. Looking to set time aside to play it, but from what I gather it is visual novel like but also a mystery/detective game akin to Zero Escape and Danganronpa? Anyways I'm just going down a list and it being numbers, it was at the top.
    • Avernum 3: Ruined World: A remake of a classic game I played in my childhood, Exile 3: Ruined World, this game is probably not your cup of tea if you can't get past the extremely, let's say, dated graphics. But it's a very in-depth RPG with a huge world to explore and a large amount of characters. I've only played 7 hours of the remake (plenty more of the original), but I would recommend it for people that are into the D&D-like RPGs such as Baldur's Gate.
    • Final Fantasy XIV: Okay okay this is an online game sure, but I just finished the previous expansion, Stormblood, and I'm continually impressed and surprised but how much I just straight-up enjoy the story content. I've genuinely have heard nothing but good things about Shadowbringers, their latest expansion, and I'm very very excited to start it soon. The beginning, A Realm Reborn, is a little rough though they have plans to update it sometime next year, but Heavensward really hit a lot of excellent points I like in stories, and I found Stormblood a very engaging tale of fighting for one's freedom. That's not to say I don't have issues with the story at all, but looking at it even from a single-player perspective, it's a very solid RPG with some very good cast members and a story that, despite some cliches and pacing issues, does present a unique take on some classic RPG storylines. Also, here's a clip of the story writer, Natsuko Ishikawa, receiving a standing ovation when introduced at a panel and crying: https://clips.twitch.tv/BlindingWrongElkBCouch. It's very cute and sweet and makes me smile.
    • Hollow Knight: 16 hours into this one and haven't completed it, but it's an incredibly charming Metroidvania. Gameplay is very solid and very smooth, and the world it gorgeous, and the story tickles me in the ways that I really like Dark Soul's story. It has such a good aesthetic that feature little skeleton insects drawn in an adorable 2D style. If you're into that style-of-gameplay - 2D zones to explore, unlocking abilities to access new areas, and a combat system that has a dodge roll - I'd really recommend this one.I need to get back to it myself at some point, but time.
    • The Legend of Heroes: Trails in Cold Steel: At a grand total of 148 hours of play time according to Steam, I did complete this one and I very much enjoyed it. It has some anime cliches, especially early on, that can be a little hard to swallow (I know I spent time making fun of it), but as the story progresses and the plot unfolds, it becomes exceptionally engaging. Note that it's one game in a series, and because of this, there are certain characters that aren't explored nearly as much as I'd like until the second game rolls around, but even despite this I found the cast very likeable, fun, and with emotional depth. The gameplay middles about between dungeon mobs (it usually involves doing the same thing and killing all enemies in a single round before they get to respond), but the bosses in the game are actually very fun fights. They're a good sweet spot in difficulty where you have to think and plan, but not so much that you end up having to retry more than once or twice, where it could get frustrating for some people. Also I found the orbment system a really neat tool to customizing your characters, both letting you tailor characters to your liking and also being a fun tool for min-maxing if you're into that.
    • Minoria and Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight: I think I recommend the spiritual predecessor to this game, Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight, last time, but I'll throw in my hat again for both of these games. Created by indie developer rdein, Minoria and Reverie Under the Moonlight are both Metroidvania games. I've completed Reverie Under the Moonlight, but currently only have 9 hours in Minoria (though I suspect there's only another 6 or so hours left in that game), so both are fairly short. They both are inspired by action games for their combat and include a dodge-rolling system. Their aesthetics are in the same vein as Hollow Knight - dark and spooky but in a charming and cute way, which is literally the perfect combination for me. As they're fairly short, I won't dig into the stories much, but I found Reverie Under the Moonlight very much like a short story that happens in media res (something I like quite a lot), while Minoria is a little more explained and structured.
    • Pillars of Eternity: Haven't gotten into this one much, only six hours, but I have watched it be played some and it's very highly rated. If Avernum 3 is a little too old-school, and I wouldn't blame you, Pillars of Eternity is another game that's Baldur's Gate and other D&D games-like. From what I gather, it's definitely what you'd expect out of a fantasy world - dragons, magic, beastmen, etc. - but if you're into more classic fantasy worlds with isometric turn-based combat, this is probably up your alley.
    • Stardew Valley: Okay this isn't really a game with a particular engaging story, but at 89 hours in it, I can say that it is a very comfy, very relaxing game. You farm, you make things, you meet people and form relationships with them, and that's really all to the game. Except it's all very well done, and very polished, and it feels good to do. It's had several major updates since it comes out, and it includes a multiplayer component where you can just chillax and farm with friends and I think that's wonderful. In fact, if anyone ever wants to farm with me, just send me a message.
    • Valkyria Chronicles 4: It's Valkyria Chronicles again, except a different cast. If you liked the first game, you'll probably like this one. If you didn't, it's pretty much the same thing but not in a bad way. 34 hours in and haven't finished it, but I enjoyed a good story set in wartime and this delivers on that front. The gameplay and combat is exactly like the first game save some minor tweaks here and there and a new class, but I really enjoyed the first game's mechanics so that's fine with me. While I wouldn't say the story is amazing or does anything particularly incredible, it is very solid and serviceable and in classic Gundam fashion it tells a good personal story about soldiers fighting in a war and all the terrible things about that. That being said, the story is mostly kept at a light-hearted pace, so if you're looking for something that takes itself very seriously the whole way through, this isn't for you.
    • Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana: The latest RPG that I actually completed, at 84 hours of play time. Let's get the simple stuff out of the way. It's an action RPG that features a mostly silent protagonist with face-paced combat that feels good. Parrying and dodging enemies and returning back a flurry of blows is just extremely satisfying, and while overall I think the difficulty of the game is a little too easy (partially due to mechanics such as being able to heal instantly), it's insanely satisfying to play and there are enough bosses to keep you on your toes and provide an interesting level of difficulty (see: Trails in Cold Steel). As for the story, I cannot express how much I enjoyed the story for this game. I honestly wasn't expecting much except a fun to play action RPG, but the story had me gripped once it started to roll along at around the 30-40% mark. The cast of main characters are all extremely loveable and good - well, except for our main protagonist, Adol, who's kind of too silent - and there were several times in the story that their emotions really affected and hit me. There are some clever and interesting things they do with the narrative and story telling mechanics that I would not have expected out of a Ys game given their reputation for being pretty straight forward action games, and I really would recommend this game. I do have a few gripes, particularly around character designs, but it's hardly an issue if you can look past it.
    That was a lot of writing.

10. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

I'd actually probably enjoy that a lot. Not $360 a lot, but if I somehow ever stumble onto a Switch I'd definitely pick it up.

It's fine, I'm interested in recommendations in general, I'm gonna go through your list one by one!

Oh, I know about this one. I know that there's like a sub-scenario or smaller story that was written by Nasu in it that later spun off into the anime Canaan, which I watched way back when. I've actually always wanted to play this but it was never in English before, I remember hearing it was very good.

Never heard of this one but if it's an old PC RPG it probably wouldn't really be for me. I think the furthest back in that style I've ever been able to go is more Knights of the Old Republic than Baldur's Gate.

I was playing Final Fantasy XIV years before any of you! I used to talk about it on here all the time! I was raiding Coil on launch! lol

I did quit a long time ago though, I've not done Stormblood or anything like that. MMOs ended up being really unhealthy for me, so for my own sake I'll probably pass on ever going back to this, but I'm glad to hear it's doing good and people like it.

So believe it or not I've never even played a Metroid game, let alone others in that style. Skeleton insects in a cute 2D style is interesting, though. As is the gameplay concept you describe. I'll definitely look further into this one.

Confession time! So a few years ago, during a time when I wasn't logging in here, I would still check in on you all since back then you were still using this thread, and you posted a link to you streaming this on twitch, so I tuned in... and then made a twitch account and started chatting with you in the chat for like an hour or more! You had no idea it was me, since I wasn't even around at the time, and I don't think I've confessed to this before.

So would you recommend this or Hollow Knight more?

I'd never say no to a classic fantasy world with dragons, magic, or beastmen. Looks like there's a PS4 version of this one too, do you think the gameplay would work well on a controller?

A relaxing game isn't bad once in awhile. I'm not sure I'd ever have the commitment to stick to something like that these days, though.

Rather than like or dislike the first game, I've never played the first game! Would you say it's a better idea to start with that one or would you say to just jump right into the fourth? I do generally prefer serious stories to goofy ones, especially that particular type of anime goofy, but it's not like I dislike the goofy stuff every once in awhile. I'm such a dour and depressing person in real life, so a dash of light-hearted would probably do my good.

Whoa, that's definitely an interesting recommendation at the very end. Sounds really good. I think... if I'm remembering correctly, I think I tried the original YS, the PSP version of it, and I didn't like it. The story was kind of whatever and didn't you like... walk into enemies to attack? Am I thinking of the right thing? But it sounds like the series came a long way. Do I need to play anything before VIII?

I appreciate it! That was fun going through all on it's own!

Scyth likes this.
  11. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

Oh wait really? I didn't know that at all. I watched Canaan as well, so that's a neat little tidbit.

I hope you at least watched the clip! It's very sweet and heartwarming!

Oh lol, I don't believe you did but I hope you had a good time! I can't even begin to remember what I might have said, but hopefully nothing that made me look too silly!

Speaking of, Saldite watched one of my streams somewhat recently and he said it was comfy and that made me very happy!

I personally really like Reverie Under the Moonlight, but that's because of a combination of aesthetic and story-related things that specifically appeal to me. My safe recommendation is Hollow Knight because it's a fuller game (just more content and more game) that I also think is just a little more easy to get into and enjoy if you're not specifically into the things I enjoy in storytelling. That being said, Reverie Under the Moonlight was my favorite game the year I played it, and of the two, I personally like it more.

Speaking of Saldite, he's actually the one that gave me Hollow Knight. Thanks Saldite!

I don't see why not! The combat is turn-based, and I can't imagine any reason to specifically need the amount of keys on a keyboard or mouse precision.

In my opinion, it's not something you really need to commit to. There's no reason why you can't start it up for an hour or two, put it down for a week or two or whatever. Just start it up whenever you want to relax and work on your farm. It's a surprisingly therapeutic activity.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is a lot more polished and feels better mechanically, but I think Valkyria Chronicles 1 had a better cast of characters and an overall better story. Granted, I've not completed Valkyria Chronicles 4 nor know how it ends.

Yeah, I don't really think the Ys games had much of a reputation for being anything other than high action games, but I think their latest stuff have started trending towards actually good stories. I believe I remember reading something about how in Ys VIII, the developers explicitly set forth to make a Dana a compelling female protagonist - which is something the games had been lacking since they typically focused on Adol being the sole (mostly silent) protagonist.

As for previous games, I think there's a small nod to one of the previous games towards the very end, and playing them gives you a little more context to Adol's adventures, but I wouldn't say so. The only other Ys game I've played was Oath in Felghana, and that was more than a decade ago and only for maybe 3-4 hours tops.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for going through it all!

saldite likes this.
  12. Captain Falcon

If you had a walkthrough of the original, with a few small exceptions, it would be perfectly suitable for this version. Which is fine, because LA is a great game.

That was Ys all right. The first few installments had the "bump" system, where you had to do that. I don't think they've used that in a while, except for rereleases of the first two games.

And except the first two games (which come together in I think every even remotely modern release), the stories of the games are completely separate, the only connecting thread being the protagonist Adol Christin.

Edit: well, there's also Ys Origin, which actually is connected to Ys I and II. But it's a prequel that doesn't have Adol.

saldite and Scyth like this.
  13. saldite

saldite Most Incrediblest

i'm too lazy to list games right now but yeah i'd say there's plenty of single player games out there, esp if you avoid the AAA or even AA or A sphere of games. i don't do multiplayer shit like at all.

Scyth likes this.
  14. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

Does anyone here have any Holiday plans they are looking forward to?

I don't, of course, but how about you?

15. SilentThisSide199x

I’m not really going to relax or anything but I accidentally had a vacation so I’m already well-rested so it works out.

Gonna talk to my friends a lot if I can, including you and whoever else here.

16. SilentThisSide199x

I’m in a better mood right now, though.

17. SilentThisSide199x

I kept getting annoyed that I wasn’t as productive as I wanted to be but today I think I was. I’m generally not super invested in capitalistic efficiency thinking, more the opposite, but there are still things I want to do.

18. saldite

saldite Most Incrediblest

i strategically saved up my vacation and used it just right to end up with like two weeks off at the end of the year, so i'm pretty excited about that. probably just going to relax and play video games. that's not really holiday plans, i guess, since if i could strategically plan time off at any other time of the year for the same amount of time, i would. it just happens to coincide with the holidays.

i'll also probably watch some claymation christmas movies and maybe the krampus movie that came out a few years ago since i heard it was entertaining. not "good" in the sense of an actual good movie, just really good practical effects and sound design for a goofy horror movie.

i'd like to be done with the gifting stuff since idc about that anymore but people are going to give me things and that makes me feel bad if i don't get them something back so w/e. i don't really want gifts at this point or to do any church stuff, i just want to have a good ass dinner with my granmum and uncles.

Scyth likes this.
  19. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

I'm probably going to go and stay with my family for a bit and hang out with my younger siblings, as I do most years.

saldite likes this.
  20. SilentThisSide199x

Sega Exegesis

Sonic 3 & The Dead Sea Scrolls