The Fantastic Happy Time Msd Bar

Discussion in 'Online Refugees' started by MainCharacter, Jul 21, 2010.

1. saldite

saldite Most Incrediblest

i know

you guys probably don't notice it

Scyth likes this.
  2. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

I'm going down with this ship.

3. Captain Falcon

Captain Falcon Well-Known Member

Let me in.

4. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

Where do you think you are?

5. Captain Falcon

Everywhere and nowhere

6. Captain Falcon

7. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

:(

8. SilentThisSide199x

SilentThisSide199x Well-Known Member

Scyth, you can just talk more here.

I'm just vibing it's like

Just type and post man

I am just

I am just ssitting here

9. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

I only post something if I have something to say, which isn't always often.

I try to keep myself from spamming all the random junk I can talk about because I'm fully aware no one cares about a cute scene from a manga that I'm reading.

10. Captain Falcon

I do.

Scyth likes this.
  11. SilentThisSide199x

Same

Scyth likes this.
  12. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

That's what this thread used to be. Us just talking about whatever, things we were reading, watching or playing. Things that happened in our day. Random nonsense. Sometimes nobody would reply to it, sometimes it'd spark a days long conversation. Because even if we had our issues or annoyances with each other, we were friends, weren't we? I've been thinking about this for awhile now but I don't think I'm ever going to have a place like this used to be again. Don't get me wrong, I've had groups of friends and conversations with people over the past couple of years. But this place was something different. It wasn't even just a regular old school forum thread, it was really unique and I'm not even sure I know how I'd describe it, but it was a major aspect of my life for many years. It was a place for me to learn to express myself and connect with people during a time where I felt like I'd never be able to actually do that.

Of course, I know it will never be that again. For many reasons. We're all much older now than we were in 2015, let alone 2012, let alone 2009. I'm not the same person I was, at least, and I assume all of us are changed in various ways. I know what people look for has changed too and if Discord fills that void for most of you, I'd never suggest holding yourself back to this thread instead. We all have our needs. My needs once involved leaving this forum without a word for over a year, and barely posting for the years following it. I do feel bad about that still, but I also think it was part of what I needed. Even when I was gone, though, a part of me never really left.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it's been quite a decade and this place, and all of you, have defined and shaped many aspects of it for me, for better or worse. So when I say I'm going down with this ship, I don't mean it in a negative way, it's just what I need to do. This place will inevitably close. There's no way XSEED is going to keep it running forever when forums are such a dead concept, but that's fine. And I don't expect anyone else to decide to live in the past with me, I'm glad you've all found a way to continue whatever this is elsewhere, but for me it just isn't the same.

Anyway, I really lost track of where this was going to go.
    I guess I miss staying up until 4am posting in this thread with five or six people then waking up in the morning to check what I've missed while I was asleep.
    But it's okay that things are different now.

For old times sake, though, what manga are you reading?

Scyth and SilentThisSide199x like this.
  13. SilentThisSide199x

I didn't think you felt anything that heartfelt about this.

14. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

As someone that left multiple times for various but long stretching periods, you shouldn't feel bad at all. Things happen and you do what you have to do.

Me being real and not my goofy nerd self: I think you're placing too much importance on the platform and location. It really feels like a Ship of Theseus here - at what point would the forums stopped being the forums for you? If it was still Atlus Online and they changed from one major version of phpBB to another, would it be the same place? What if it was still Atlus Online but they did the switch from phpBB to what Marvelous is using here, XenForo? At least for me, I think the place and the medium of communication is ultimately irrelevant - the important part isn't the technical space behind it, but the people and community that populate that space.

Anyways, I'm past the point of trying to convince anyone of anything, I just wanted to state my viewpoint. If you're happy to let yourself disappear with this iteration of the forums (whatever that definition may mean to you), I'm not going to fight you on that. It sucks and I'll be unhappy with it, but I'll deal with it.

Quite a few, but the latest one I was reading is called Ani no Yome to Kurashite Imasu/Living with My Brother's Wife. It's about a girl who's parents died and had been living with her older brother. He got married and his wife eventually moved in together with them, though six months before the story starts, he dies unexpectedly and it ends up just being the younger sister and the wife living together. It's a wonderful mix of very sad in its undertones and still very sweet and heartwarming, since it's just the two of them trying to cope with loss as best as they can and remain a family despite the one tie together being lost. I have a high affinity for stories that are both sad and happy, so it's right up my alley.

[Edit] Here's a really pretty chapter page from it:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  15. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

I feel passionately heartfelt about everything at all times. I've always been that way, most people just never notice.

Perhaps, though the way I did it wasn't the best. I was in a very bad place when I left and that was somewhat obvious. I was hospitalized and when I got out I knew some people were worried about me but I couldn't bring myself to say anything back then. I guess it's not the fact that I left that I feel bad about, but that I let people worry about me when I could easily let them know I was fine. It was a crappy thing to do.

Hmm, so for me it's a combination of three things.

The first is the most shallow, but it's nature of the forum itself over a chat program. The forum has a better pace to it for me, for example in a chat program I wouldn't have been able to come back hours later and pick up this conversation quite so naturally, nor could I present everything in one post like this. From what I've seen of modern social media and chat programs, everything has whittled itself down to short and immediate, and that's just not how I like to engage with people.

The second is that this forum really is still the same one underneath all the changes. The fact this thread specifically exists in particular is my sticking point. So much happened here, I have had so many good and bad times here, and that past is all still here. It's why trying to make new forums never stuck for me over getting them to resurrect this one. It just doesn't quite feel like I'm here unless I'm HERE. As I get older more of my emotions become dominated by an intense melancholic nostalgia, and if I'm going to live in the past, I might as well do it as close to that past as I can.

The third thing is maybe a little dark or maybe a little impossible for me to convey, but it's that I feel it'd be poetic for me to "go down with the ship". I guess I'll leave it at that.

Though, I will say, sorry if it felt like I was trying to get you to convince me of something, it wasn't my intent.

See, I actually found that really interesting. I would never know of this otherwise. I like that art a lot too. Where do you read manga like this?

Scyth likes this.
  16. Captain Falcon

You're not wrong. Honestly, I can relate to where you're coming from on this one.

I don't know about anybody else, but why I'd personally like for you to join us on Discord is simply because it is a way to keep in touch with you in the event that this place does go down. You've made your lack of interest on the matter clear, and that's fine; that's just the justification I would use for asking. I feel like it's a nice thought, anyway.

Scyth likes this.
  17. saldite

saldite Most Incrediblest

To follow up on Falcon's point, you wouldn't necessarily have to join the main character discord channel, either. You could just add a few people as friends on there so people could get in contact if they wanted and/or vise versa (similar to MSN back when we were using it). Just a little "hello there" every now and again. Nothing too serious. That way the commitment to the platform is also lower on your end and you don't have to worry about things like the channel going too fast or not responding right away. If you don't want to be bothered a lot, you could also set yourself to invisible, which I do pretty frequently, so that way people aren't expecting an immediate reply from me.

Scyth likes this.
  18. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

I think your decision there is pretty reasonable, honestly. As someone with a lot of friends with varying social anxieties, that seems rather on the low end of crappy things to do.

That's because I took the time to compose my thoughts rather than shout meaninglessly into the void. I read stuff on MangaDex.

Also I second both Falcon and Saldite's responses.

19. SilentThisSide199x

20. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

See but isn't that part of what's great about forums? You had the ability to think out your post and take your time with it, writing more than you would in a chat program! But at the same time, you wouldn't have been able to do that had you not tweeted about the manga in the first place. You do the little tweets to lead to big ones! It's great!

But, yeah, yeah, I hear you all. I'll think about it. I don't know if I have a lot of time to be ON a chat program very often like I did back in the MSN/IRC days, but it wouldn't kill me to make an account.

saldite likes this.