The Fantastic Happy Time Msd Bar

Discussion in 'Online Refugees' started by MainCharacter, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

I would probably read it, but I'm certainly not at a lack of activities for my free time currently.

I'm not sure about Perfect Blue or Paprika because I just don't do horror very well, but Tokyo Godfathers is on the list for sure.

If I picked just one, I would say The Night is Short, Walk on Girl, for a variety of reasons. Of the three, it's the one with the least anime appeal - in that it's less an anime film and more an animated film. Which is to say it relies less on established anime tropes and plot points, if that makes sense? Just as a film, it's also the most narratively and visually fascinating of the bunch, though that may come to no surprise since it's both an adaption of a book by the same author as The Tatami Galaxy and directed by the same individual as The Tatami Galaxy.

Granted, I can't recall if you watched The Tatami Galaxy and if you liked it or not. If you didn't, then maybe not that one, since it's definitely similar in a lot of ways. In that case, Penguin Highway is just a good anime film with sci-fi elements, a story that weaves both spiritual and scientific themes, and an overall fun story and cast of characters. All of this is wrapped up in some really top notch visuals and animation.

Aah, gotcha. I probably haven't heard the obvious ones though as I'm not really in communication streams that talk about non-anime TV series.

2. saldite

saldite Most Incrediblest

i suppose, i just hate being the old man of media. internet years feel like dog years.

nice, i always like pretty animation and framing so that alone will probably be enough for me. tbh thinking back on the routes, i think i enjoyed the tone of HF more than the others. UBW is fun but there were chunks of reading it that dragged on for me.

you should. i'm still in crungus. we need a threeboi to make us an official team. time to bully somebody into our group

3. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

Wow, I actually totally forgot about this until now.

Bully mode activated.

saldite likes this.
  4. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

@saldite Fight me.

I am still in it as well, though I was thinking about finding a proper adventuring RP FC for that character at some point.

5. saldite

@Scyth 1v1 me irl nerd lets go i'll see you after school after work

6. Captain Falcon

Captain Falcon Well-Known Member

Friends forgive...

But he never forgets.

saldite likes this.
  7. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

Speaking of movies, watched Promare last night and really enjoyed it. It was such a fun, good movie. Talked to Moonchow about it some on Discord.

8. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

Oh, they aren't horror at all. Maybe Perfect Blue has some elements of horror but it's more of a psychological thriller. Paprika is a little harder to pin down but I guess I would call it a sci-fi thriller? They are definitely more exciting movies than the other two but outside of some occasionally trippy visuals in Paprika I don't think there's anything scary in them. I would suggest you give Paprika a try at the very least.

I'll give it a try.

I feel like even if you aren't there's no way you haven't heard of things like Stranger Things and Jessica Jones.

As long as you don't start yelling at kids that they don't understand true art like you had back in your day, I think you're fine. (Unless you do already do that, in which case you are still fine but you should stop lol)

I think HF has the best story and character development, plus a much darker tone I enjoyed.
    But I'd also be lying if I didn't acknowledge that at the time I was young, depressed, hated myself, and often dreamed about destroying everything around me and the story of HF dealt with someone who was young, depressed, hated herself, and well... you know.

saldite and Scyth like this.
  9. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

I'm not good with psychological thriller either to be honest. I just don't like things that make me feel nervous, uneasy, or scared in most fashions.

Do let me know what you think!

I have heard of Stranger Things; I've actually not heard of Jessica Jones. :p

saldite likes this.
  10. SilentThisSide199x

SilentThisSide199x Well-Known Member

It’s an MCU series.

It’s the MCU so you get what you expect for both better and worse.

11. saldite

tbh most of the mcu series were pretty bad sans daredevil s1 and 3 which were actually good. jj1 was alright, tho, imo, but i never watched 2. luke cage had the problem of being good at first and then dropping off hard at the end in the worst ways in s1. iron fist looks like he learned kung fu from ronald mcdonald and a crackerjack box. defenders was comically awful. punisher felt like it was retreading old ground? liek i get not wanting to make a show where frank franks badguys all the time, but it was like several episodes of him being broody instead of franking and like half of his character is the fact he's a violent sociopath just like the people he hunts and his family is just another excuse for the violence in his life so it felt like eh. didn't watch any of the s2's outside of dd.

i feel like a lot of the shows suffer from having too little content for the length of the seasons at hand. like if they were only 7 or 8 eps instead of 13 and stretching everything out, maybe they would have ended better. luke cage literally felt like the first half was the season and the second half was like shit they came up with to meet episode quotas or something.

oh shit she's onto me

12. saldite

@Scyth also if you're interested in reading the comic for JJ as well as the show (or vise versa), the comic is titled Alias. I seem to remember liking it when I read it while in high school, but these things tend to not hold up.

[​IMG]

13. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

Season 1 of Jessica Jones is one of my favorite shows in a long time for a lot of reasons. The other seasons not so much though I still liked her character in it. I really don't think it should be labeled with the other "super hero" shows though because it's a very different thing. Though I don't think Scyth would like it given what he just said about thrillers.

saldite likes this.
  14. saldite

yeah tbf even the comic when it came out made waves not because of the superhero stuff per say but everything else around it. i did like how the show presented purple man as a credible threat, even if i wasn't big on their interpretation of nuke. like in the comics, purple man was already an established villain with years of history getting his ass kicked by daredevil and other dudes, so it felt a little goofy that he was presented like a big tier villain. which, to be fair, one of the points of the story in the comics was partially how there are so many super heroes around, it'd be easy for one to fall through the cracks with nobody noticing or caring despite the danger of their profession (along with other things the show itself dealt with, while mostly separating itself from the superhero stuff for the better because the comic does a bad job of introducing you to a bunch of characters since it just assumes you kind of already know them, outside of the subject matter which is much better when separated from the goofy superhero stuff anyway).

also he was better showcased as a threat who felt naturally manipulative despite his powers vs comic where it felt like they had to throw in as many swearwords as possible because this is the MAX comic line where they had no restrictions:

[​IMG]

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaah. you know what, scyth? just, uh. just skip the comics. the show is alright.

edit: remember, folks, this was a groundbreaking comic in 2001. the standards for a good supe story were different then.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  15. saldite

jesus i am probably the least articulate person i know

16. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

oh wow that's the first thing I have seen from the comic and that's really nowhere near as interesting to me as the show version. I'll admit that him being played by David Tennant in the show was a huge part of the character's appeal. He's a very smooth and likable person and it kind of feels like he's tapping a bit into his Doctor persona to come across that way (which works, since there's more uncomfortable parallels there than I'm willing to admit). But honestly the comic book version seems so... forgive me, cartoonish to actually be scary. The show plays heavy into the mentality of manipulators, rapists, and their victims, and throwing super-powers on top of it is more flavor than the core of the show.

But I'll also say that I think focusing solely on Jessica and a few characters around her worked to the betterment of the show. Having the Avengers and Daredevil and the like around would have really not gone well with what the show was at all.

I'm also really glad they don't call him "Purple Man" on the show, though having Jessica's PTSD flashbacks tinted purple is a nice nod.

saldite likes this.
  17. saldite

Yeah, no, David T did a fantastic job making him seem naturally likable which just made him seem more threatening since even if he wasn't using his abilities, he naturally seemed like a non-threatening and likable person. P. Man has always been somewhat of a joke character prior to Alias, where he was bumped up a bit on the priority lists.
    you know you can't be taken that seriously when every other person who shares a universe with you can outwill and beat the shit out of you will very little effort
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Even then the best things about the JJ stories since then are more so the effects things like that can have on a person and their personal lives (which, even without super powers involved, can be very real things people have to go through and deal with), including newer stories dealing with his daughter and other people he's effectively ruined, rather than P. Man himself, nevermind what bringing a character to life can do vs what the reader has to imagine.

I didn't mind DD showing up much in the comics just because he was already a long standing person on P. Man's shitlist, but even then I like how they use him more in the newer stories where he's basically there to be a reference for JJ to be a neutral point to spitball ideas off of since he's use to Killgrave's BS and/or a legal advisor for various issues, rather than an active participant in the story. I feel the same way about a lot of supes showing up in her stories aside from close friends and Luke. Like what the fuck is Captian America going to say or do in a story about JJ dealing with personal trauma? Or Thor? They're goofy and should be punching other goofy guys in weird costumes not in an actual serious story. At least Matt has a history of being a relatively serious character and doesn't feel out of place being a lawyer in her stories.

A lot of supe comics have a problem of being really goofy even if the subject matter at hand is serious due to the nature of the universe these stories are being told in, so it really is better to separate adaptations from the universe as a whole to make them less goofy. This problem, like many with supe comics, also lessens or worsens depending on who's writing the characters. You definitely have other stories where Killgrave feels a lot more like the show's version in that he seems just naturally manipulative albeit in different ways (iirc in the comics he use to be a spy or something with an abused spouse whom he controlled and manipulated in their marriage), but certain acceptability within audiences definitely change as the mediums do.

18. SilentThisSide199x

SilentThisSide199x Well-Known Member

The last detective thing I saw was like

The Animatrix short I can’t remember the name of in the noir style which isn’t really a detective short since it’s just about a guy in the matrix getting redpilled(the thing from the first movie not the right-wing nonsensical thing it’s morphed into)

So I should probably give it a shot yeah, I do dig those kinds of stories heavily, moreso now. Subahibi had a lot of that. I finished subahibi, it was really good, especially End Sky II.

19. saldite

So how do you all feel about essays?

[​IMG]

Scyth likes this.
  20. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

I don't know if that purple fellow should be taken seriously or not but the fact that they're just a normal person but entirely purple - including purple clothes because of course - really kind of makes it difficult to take them seriously.

Also was that your edit? Lol.

saldite likes this.