The Fantastic Happy Time Msd Bar

Discussion in 'Online Refugees' started by MainCharacter, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Captain Falcon

Captain Falcon Well-Known Member

BUBBLY!

saldite likes this.
  2. SilentThisSide199x

SilentThisSide199x Well-Known Member

I prefer normal water.

Scyth likes this.
  3. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

I watched the two Heaven's Feel movies and cried a lot. I wasn't expecting that. I wasn't even really crying at the movies, though that was there too, but more at just like everything that's happened in the past ten years. I've been through a lot since I first went through that story. I don't consider myself a fan of the "Fate franchise" now or whatever, or even anime in general, but I'm glad I watched those. I'll definitely watch the third.

AmericanPsycho, saldite and Scyth like this.
  4. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed I missed the movies' showings in theaters, as I wanted to go watch them there. I suppose I could still watch the third in theaters when it comes out, though, assuming I get around to watching the first two before its release.

5. saldite

saldite Most Incrediblest

tbh i forgot the movies were even a thing i'm so out of fate at this point. i was never super into it in the first place but it feels a lot like the interest i had is just dead with a lot of the creative decisions they chose for the series as it went on. i didn't even know there were multiple heaven's feel movies, let alone one movie, until like two months ago or something.

just watch the movies, scyth. i see you rp'ing in final fantasy 14 so i know you have time don't lie to me

6. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

Why watch a movie when I can be the movie?

I've even gotten to Stormblood now. Even though I heard the Stormblood story isn't as good as Heavensward (and I loved Heavensward), I love stories about revolutions and fighting for freedom and that stuff. Also it's got the sickest music motif.

saldite likes this.
  7. saldite

story of my life

my steam's ran out a bit. i'm like right at the end of HW because all the quests are 59 or 60 but i just don't have the same drive anymore. i think a lot of the pointless busywork and how slow it is to get from point A to point B is getting to me. like why do i have to manually talk to like five different people in different locations just to progress a quest when this quest could just be a cutscene. why isn't sprint in cities permanent? for that matter, why can i not mount in major cities? it takes so fucking long even with aethernet to walk to locations and there's more walking in this game than a LotR film. why do i have to attune to shit to fly, which in turn takes even more busywork because the areas are fucking huge because they're made for you to fly in and it feels obvious when you aren't flying because it takes 20 years to walk to a single location. why not just let me fly after a major story quest in an area since the MSQ is the main limiting factor anyway?
    like a bunch of exciting stuff just happened and best boy bit the big one and now i have to deal with fat birds in the sky which i love the fat sky owls but still that just killed the momentum that was propelling me forward.

all of this is a shame since the area and tone of HW is probably my favorite. i even really like fantasy stories based around a "DEUS VULT" kind of religious tone i.e. Warhammer 20k since it seems like you don't really get a lot of fiction based around morally grey or black crusader type religion where they're apart of the main cast and not the obvious villains (although that obviously changed which kind of disappointed me because i liked the idea of your main crew having to walk on eggshells to not get fucked up due to their zealotry).

i'm getting the impression an mmo like this isn't meant to be shotgunned mostly solo because i really need to start taking more breaks from it.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Scyth likes this.
  8. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

Those are all entirely valid questions. The zones are massive, and don't even get me about the Dravanian Forelands and how the maps is designed to be like "You want to go left or right? TOO BAD GO UP OR DOWN INSTEAD." I don't even care about flying mounts - like there's no woah factor involved in them for me. Movement in games should either be

1. Fun, or
    2. Convenient

And flying mounts are convenient, but they're such a pain to unlock that the amount of inconvenience to get that convenience really puts a damper on things. Guild Wars 2 has the best mounts and movement mechanics of any MMO, and I wish I could somehow transplant their system into FFXIV.

Yeah, Heavensward really does have some great moments, and I also personally loved the story. But the mechanics of FFXIV in general sometimes makes it frustrating.

You should play more with me.

9. saldite

I agree with all of this. I still intend on playing GW2 at some point, as well. Wasn't a new expansion or something announced recently? Am I getting my games mixed up?

basically where i'm at.

also our timing on dailies doesn't work out nicely and i don't rp :^(

10. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

Not quite a new expansion, but new content and promises of larger/more frequent content updates moving forward. The prologue stuff for all of this was released yesterday. And if you do play, let me know.

I know, but still. :(

saldite likes this.
  11. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

Can they even be considered the same series? Don't get me wrong, I'm as "out" of the whole anime thing as I could possibly be. I haven't watched a single moment of any of the new Fate shows despite seeing them showing up on my netflix seemingly nonstop the last few years and I haven't touched any of the games, especially the phone one, but I feel like an adaptation of the original thing should be considered on it's own merits somewhat. I've definitely outgrown a lot of what appealed to me about Fate to begin with. I'm not exactly about to start drooling over Gilgamesh in 2019 or think that the Shirou stuff was quite as deep as I did ten years ago, but I think the Heaven's Feel movies were still pretty good.

Mostly it was the nostalgia that got me, though. It's been ten years but I still remember what it felt like in 2009. I wouldn't say I missed it, since the last ten years have had a lot of really bad times for me, but I can't say I don't either, if that makes sense.

Scyth and saldite like this.
  12. saldite

i had more where i explained i get the sentiment since i had some nasty nostalgia lately once i started getting back into older vidya via flash carts on real hardware and stuff, esp recently with my modded gameboy colour. hell the crystal chronicles theme made me remember shit i did with kids i knew that i completely forgot around the time that game came out. i couldn't get that part it worded right and baleeted it. i get somewhere where you're coming from on that end, though; my intention wasn't to be like "YEAH FUCK THE MOVIES".

i was more saying with the franchise as a whole rather than these specific movies. we had a bit of a discussion on this in the discord today but it essentially comes down to me being a 28yo boomer with a "NEW BAD OLD GOOD" mentality i'm self aware of; i'm just not a huge fan of the general shift in a lot of japanese media, fate franchise included, and have more or less dropped out of the entire nasu stuff entirely. i basically just get information about the series' via osmosis at this point.

i have no idea how these movies actually are, but it sounds like they did a good job. your post actually surprised me because i now found out there were three movies which was something i didn't know. i'll probably get around to watching them whenever the third comes out.

yuri said he'd play more so lets bully him into partying with us in his dungeons

and yeah if i get into GW2 i'll let you know. i've already spent like 190 hours in ff14 and that seems like a ludicrous amount of time for a single game, so i don't know if i'll hit up GW2 immediately.

13. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

I just want the Tsukihime remake and an anime to be honest, if only because Arcueid is still like original nostalgia waifu.

[Edit] Really though I haven't watched any anime in close to a year just about, excluding movies. Anime films are good stuff.

Sounds good. And don't even get me started on time, I think my RP character is in the 500 hours, and my other is in the 100s.

14. saldite

wasn't there already a tsukihime anime i mean, what? huh? what?

exact quote earlier today on crosscode: "I'd play it if I had more time."

15. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

Exactly.

I'll cross your code.

saldite likes this.
  16. saldite

speaking of things you enjoy being destroyed right in front of your face i mean what

it's about time somebody did

Scyth likes this.
  17. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

I think it's pretty natural for people to gravitate towards what they liked during their formative years over what kids today are into. For what it's worth I'm basically in the same boat in regards to both the anime and fate stuff.

animation-wise it was beautiful. in terms of fate stuff I'd put it up there with Fate/Zero, but back when I was into the visual novel I always had an affinity for Heaven's Feel. Even if I feel completely out of touch with whatever is going on with Fate today, I'm glad these movies happened.

I don't think the Tsukihime remake will ever happen. I was waiting for that back when I was actually into this stuff. That remake was announced before any of us ever met each other.

Anyway, have you seen any good anime films lately? I definitely don't think I have the time or energy to get into anime series or video games these days but fitting films in might be something I could do and I'm still in that nostalgic mindset.

Also been kind of disappointed with netflix lately. I feel like they don't have anything good anymore.

18. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

This hurts me.

Quite a few actually! I really loved Penguin Highway; The Night is Short, Walk on Girl; and Lu Over the Wall. The latter two are both films directed by Masaaki Yuasa, whom I'm a big fan of in general. I also watched my first Satoshi Kon film recently, since Millenium Actress had a rerelease in theaters, and was completely enamored by that movie.

I've not been much for Netflix myself, though what have you watched in the past from there and liked?

19. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

I'm seeing XIV stuff while glancing over what's been said here, and it reminds me that I need to get back to that game.

saldite and Scyth like this.
  20. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

It hurt me for awhile. Though now I probably wouldn't even read it if it did come out.

Oh! I used to be a huge fan of Satoshi Kon. Definitely watch Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers, and Paprika too. He was such a creative director.

Out of the other films you watched, if you could recommend me one of them, which would it be?

Honestly, I would often just throw random things on when they got new stuff in. I wouldn't exactly say all of it was great, but there were some gems in there. I'm sure you've heard of the obvious ones. It just feels like the rate of which they get new things is starting to not justify the price as much as I said it was before.

Scyth likes this.