The Fantastic Happy Time Msd Bar

Discussion in 'Online Refugees' started by MainCharacter, Jul 21, 2010.

1. saldite

saldite Most Incrediblest

looks decent.

ethically, i agree with mr 183. i'd generally recommend AMD CPUs for somewhat newer builds mostly due to the continuous security flaws that keep getting found in intel's current batch, but i also have an 8086k and an NVIDIA GPU from a build last august so i'm hypocrite of the month here. for the most part, x600 AMD chips should be relatively similar to an i5 with minimal differences so they can work good if you're looking to save a bit. plus their included blowers aren't completely shit vs intel which i don't even think tries anymore so you might have to add an external cpu cooler on top of that, but that's here nor there.

i'm getting off on a tangent, point is, they're similar enough i don't really think it matters one way or the other but the i5 will nab you slightly more performance in 100% gaming situations, if that's what you're optimizing for. the 2600x should be better in literally anything multicore which is the futureTM (and has only been the future for the last ten years).

also yeah it might be worth waiting for the new ryzen since they're suppose to be pretty dope performance wise and depending on pricing might also push intel to drop prices giving you a better deal either way.

EDIT: all of the above is a lot to say "it doesn't really matter, go intel if you're purely gaming and don't care about anything else"

also get an ssd. get a crucial mx500. it's a pretty good one. or get a samsung fuckitican'tbeassedtogooglethemodelnumberrightnowbutthey'realsogood evo. it's amazing how much an ssd makes general pc usage better.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Scyth and Ammy175 like this.
  2. saldite

also but seriously, i just remembered that nvidia and amd are release new GPUs like super duper soon so you might be better off waiting for them, too. like literally refreshed 2060, 2070, and 2080 with slightly higher specs for the same price and iirc amd's shit is launching with the new ryzen chips.

also what fps and resolution are you targeting

Ammy175 likes this.
  3. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

Page 6,000! *Party poppers*

Still, something to keep in mind, I suppose.

I mostly care about gaming, cuz I stream, but if I wish to get all fancy (i.e., not be lazy) and edit my streams down, would that be an example of where the 2600x shines? And then, would that just make it go faster, or would it actually be necessary to render a 1080p60 video?

"Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E1T0B/AM)"

That's what I have picked right now. I assume that's what you're thinking of?

Hrm, got a more specific date on that? I want this built and ready by the time August starts, as my current compy is starting to shit a bit, and I have a big stream planned for August 10th.

I'm a FILTHY CASUAL and only bother with 1080p60 at the moment.

saldite likes this.
  4. saldite

woo

i mean, even if i went amd, i'd still get another cooling solution just because i don't like my pc to sound like a jet engine, but that can be an included benefit in a build where you're looking to cheap out as much as you can while still getting new parts.

it's been a while since i looked into this, but given the video rendering and MOAR COREZ amd would probably be better at streaming and would be faster/more efficient with overall rendering speeds, but in general i don't really think you'll notice that much of a difference again. i know i'm kind of repeating that, but they're similar enough that it's basically like "go intel if you're 100% gaming, go amd if you do more general stuff outside of that, either way it's basically the same". next gen is where we might see some serious differences with AMDs cpus since early demos are showing them beating out intel's higher end at a variety of tasks, to where intel is already rumored to start cutting prices down to compete.

yeah, samsung evo are good stuff. really, them and crucial's mx500 are the main ones i'd recommend at this point.

soonTM. i know new ryzen launches hella soon (iirc july 7th?) and the AMD cards should be launching with it. nvidia's SUPER line (no really, they're just calling this shit the Super 2060, Super 2070, etc, because i guess they don't pay their marketing department to give enough of a fuck) should have more concrete info on the 2nd-ish, as well, and i'm guessing a similar launch time since they want to compete with AMDs new cards.

alright just checking. you should be good.

Ammy175 likes this.
  5. Ammy175

Alright then, thanks! Might hold out a bit, then; wait and see.

But yeah, sounds like I'll just be LAZY and stick with my plan, unless some serious shit happens in the next couple of weeks (which, I'll be on vacation early July, so I might be back here for a TL;DR).

6. saldite

i mean they aren't bad plans. you might just have a cheaper 2070 and i5 due to ryzen competition and new GPUs.

7. Ammy175

Yeah, no, I get what you're saying. It's just a bit of bad timing for me, since, as I mentioned, I would really like my new computer up and running by the start of August.

8. saldite

tbh, i'm p excited about the new super GPUs since i'm hoping for 2080ti performance at a cheaper price

then again i'm also excited for a $260 flash solution for playing sega cd games in an arguably impractical way so maybe i'm just a turbo nerd

9. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

Just chiming in that Saldite is basically all correct on all points as far as my knowledge goes. Obviously your timing for things does matter but his advice is spot on.

Ammy175 and saldite like this.
  10. saldite

11. Ammy175

Please do not burst my bubble with your nose.

12. SilentThisSide199x

SilentThisSide199x Well-Known Member

A lot of people drive north/south for microcenter’s prices.

13. saldite

i guess that'd all depend on how far away one is

14. Scyth

Scyth Well-Known Member

Courtesy of Google Translate.

saldite likes this.
  15. SilentThisSide199x

eat botanical pond scum

16. SilentThisSide199x

-is what I assume the spambot was saying.

17. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

Oh dear google translate. That does bring me back. Does anyone remember my existential breakdowns I used to have by writing really emotional paragraphs and then google translating them until you couldn't understand exactly what I was saying? I sure did some embarrassing things back in the day. Guess that's what happens when you're young, depressed, and raised on weird internet culture stuff. Now I'm old, depressed in a slightly more manageable fashion, and out of touch with the internet entirely.

saldite and Scyth like this.
  18. Ammy175

Man, I just vaguepost my emotional breakdowns. I'm gonna have to take notes...

(Nah, I'm better than that now. Hopefully)

saldite likes this.
  19. Captain Falcon

Captain Falcon Well-Known Member

20. saldite

i'm the same except for this part. this is basically me

[​IMG]

i know at some point the memes will leave me, tho