Thanks For Making My Vita Useful

Discussion in 'I <3 XSEED' started by Clessy, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Clessy

Clessy Member

I love the vita however I find that I almost exclusively play xseed releases even though I buy almost everything. Without Xseed the vita would almost be a paper weight (atlus helps a little too :p ) but thanks for all the great releases and pretty much being the number one publisher for the system. Definitely the one with the best LE editions companies. Honestly you should just stop regular editions and do digital or LE it really sets you apart Someone saw me buy Senran Kagura and bought it also just cause they where like "Mature rated anime game? and this box is awesome"

2. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, I don't get when other publishers shy away from the Vita. It's like last generation, when other publishers shied away from the PSP -- a system is only dead if you make it that way! There were tons of good games being released on PSP last gen, and there are tons of good games being released on Vita this gen. And there's no reason to ignore those good games because "nobody owns a Vita" -- obviously, people do, because we're doing quite well with our Vita releases. ;)

Thanks for the kind comments!

-Tom

GrandpaPotato likes this.
  3. Clessy

Clessy Member

I know whats crazy is just localizing all the Japanese games not even brought over here you guys could just do vita releases for another 5 years straight. So many games i'd like to see. Granted you all seem to know better than I would whats the cream of the crop and whats generic junk as there does look like a lot of "anime junk" that doesnt have substance. Still im kinda a sucker for budget anime games. I dont think everything has to be triple A to be fun and I think a lot of these lower budget small scale vita games are more enjoyable to me than a lot of the modern console games.

Granted I would kill for a decent racing games on vita. Ridge racer was the best we got and i've got like 50% of the trophies for that near impossible game lol.

4. Wyrdwad

Wipeout 2048 was pretty good too. Sad that the developer went under, but I guess they're rising from the ashes to make another "Not Wipeout" game now, so good on them for that. ;)

-Tom

5. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

(Well there was that whole open piracy bit with PSP...)

I hope that PS TV does well here though! Have you seen any sales spikes on XSEED titles since its release, Tom?

6. Wyrdwad

Yeah, and thanks to that, the Vita is "overprotective" of its data, no longer allowing you to share save games, switch accounts without first resetting the whole system to factory default, or copy files to and from your computer without first sacrificing your first-born son under the light of a full moon. ;)

I can't tell you how much I miss the ease-of-use of the PSP. It's a shame that pirates took advantage of that ease-of-use so much, because it means we'll probably never see another handheld system quite that open again.

Purely in terms of system design and functionality, I really do think the PSP is my favorite "console" of all time. The way it worked was just plain perfect.

We get our sales numbers on a week-by-week basis, and it hasn't even been a week since PSTV's launch, so even without NDA concerns, I couldn't say yet. ;)

-Tom

7. Clessy

Clessy Member

Its a shame an Xseed game couldnt be the pack in for the PStv. Would of been nice. Granted everything big you've done is t/m rated so maybe that would be a no no. Ys would be an incredible pack in but not patched yet.

8. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

I'm just anxious and hope it does well and maybe even helps revitalize the Vita platform. Most people I've seen that bought one already have Vitas, but would be great to see newcomers to the system for tv use and/or the attractive pricing.

9. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

Eh, I don't think T would be a very big concern, and even M, really. You always hear about little kiddies playing Call of Duty, and I had a friend who was playing M rated games since he was in elementary school.

10. Clessy

Clessy Member

Its not what people do its just about image. I dont think it bolds well for the pstv to have a M game. Also until sony gets Netflix and Hulu on the pstv its gonna get trashed hardcore.

Its missing to many features that the vita has let alone game support that should be there.

Like wtf doesnt ps1 have widescreen support? Why doesnt psp or ps1 have binear filtering like the vita?

11. Cqef

Cqef Member

The vast majority of PS1 games was made to run on 4/3 TVs. For widescreen support, you need programming, pretty much like Sara did for the Ys and TiTS releases on Steam, which isn't a small feat.

12. Clessy

Clessy Member

Umm no. You're wrong and lost on this. The ps1 classics are emulated. Theres no re coding of the games at all. You just have to allow to the emulator to have a stretched mode just like it does on psp, psv and ps3. Why the pstv doesnt id beyond me.

13. Wyrdwad

Yeah, I don't think I've ever played a PS1 game that supported widescreen. There are only a small handful of PS2 games that support it, in fact. It wasn't really a commonplace thing until the PS3 generation.

EDIT: Oh, you're talking about stretch widescreen.

...Why would you want that, exactly? I can't stand seeing games stretched to unnatural resolutions, whether they be widescreen games squished to fit on a 4:3 display, or 4:3 games stretched to fill a 16:9 or 16:10 display. I'd take letterboxing or vertical letterboxing over that any day of the week.

But you're right, that should at least be an option, I suppose. I'm just surprised to hear someone actually desiring it, and I think that's probably the reason it's not offered yet -- there's just no real demand.

-Tom

14. Clessy

Clessy Member

Theres people complaining about it on sonys forums. That and the removel of binear filtering from ps1/psp games. Theres absolutely no point to remove features that where already on vita. Like why take that extra effort to remove something?

15. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

I could see wanting stretching on Vita 1000s in order to preserve the screen. OLED is susceptible to burn-in so if you play a lot of 4:3 on it the sides of the screen will age slower and end up off-color compared to the middle eventually.

I await the day we get a perfect display technology. OLED comes close, but the relatively short lifespan and burn-in keep it from being perfect. CRT is still the best, with it's primary flaws being that good CRTs are freaking huge and weight a ton.

16. Clessy

Clessy Member

Well there was a time when samsung was working on a thinner crt but crts become more expensive to make than other technology. I think high end plasma are pretty good alternative where there deep blacks but, oled is virtually the same and has less flaws than plasma. LCD is still imho the worst of the tv technologies.

17. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

LCD is a horrible technology and it is unfortunate that it's the standard and companies are happy to stick with making them cheaper/thinner/smarter/whatever instead of investing in better display tech.

And yeah, I have a nice plasma from a few years ago. And since nobody is making quality plasma TVs anymore I have no idea what I will do if anything happens to my TV because there is nothing good out there to replace it with unless I go with a used TV. :(

18. Clessy

Clessy Member

While not cost effective if you can secure yourself samsungs flagship plasma or panasonics flagship while still on sell on amazon i'd recommend them for color and black level enthusiast. However the 55 samsung starts at $1800 and the panasonic is around $3500 for a 65 still.

19. FirionHope

FirionHope New Member

Yep, all the stuff I'm interested in playing is from Xseed or one of the other niche Japanese localizing companies pretty much. Without them I wouldn't have much use for it.

20. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

While I wouldn't say that XSEED is the only reason I play the Vita (there's also Atlus, NISA, and Squeenix (okay, mostly PS1 offerings from that last one, but still)), it is definitely the reason I bought one. It wouldn't have even been on my radar if Memories of Celceta weren't a thing (and to a slightly lesser extent Ys SEVEN and Trails in the Sky). Which would have been a shame, since I'd have missed out on a whole slew of other great games as well.