Tech Question

Discussion in 'Mostly Harmless (Serious Discussion)' started by Clessy, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Clessy

Clessy Member

Which of these integrated gpus will give more performance

Intel hd 520 or a intel hd 4000?

Im looking into 2 laptops. An Acer S7 with wqhd or a toshiba satelite 12.5 with true 4k.

Only issue I have is i've never heard of the intel hd 520 and dont know if its up to the same level as the 4000. The toshiba has the 520.

Both are i7s. Both versions im looking into have ddr3 8gb of ram and both have 256gb ssds.

2. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

The 520 is better, but it's still going to suck for newer releases. Older/last gen releases will probably be okay on it. Screen might be 4k but if you play in higher than 720p that iGPU is going to beg for mercy.

3. Clessy

Clessy Member

The screen res is just mostly for productivity. Like being able to have word open and usable fullscreen while having the internet up next to it playing a video at the same time too.

Only games i'd wanna play in 4k would be Xseed pc releases. Which i'd hope an i7 can muster playing FC/SC and the ys games. This integrated amd a4 can fun felghana at max at 720p so.

But thanks. This resolved my issue and, instantly too.

4. Clessy

Clessy Member

Eh follow up question.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-satellite-radius-2-in-1-12-5-4k-ultra-hd-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-256gb-solid-state-drive-carbon-gray/4517300.p?id=1219755702106&skuId=4517300

Is this good enough to run most of the jrpgs out there in a playable degree

Things like Valkyrie Chronicles, Hyper Dimension Neptunia, Fairy Fencer F, Tales?

5. Poshakitoo

Poshakitoo New Member

I don't recommend at all playing with integrated graphics. It lowers the quality of the game and the life of the CPU. But i think it's ok for those games (since neither of the mentioned is heavily rendered)

6. Clessy

Clessy Member

This isn't obviously an ideal computer for gaming and I still have a older tower with a dedicated cpu for that. Its just I needed a new laptop for school. Something just newer as my old one was just good enough for some basic old falcom games and that was it. It was however significantly better once I put a SSD in it instead of that cruddy 5400rpm drive it had.

This thing is a thing of epic beauty. As soon as I remember my damn steam account we'll see what she can do. I'm mostly setting up things important for school tho right now like my office suite.

7. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

You'd probably be fine with playing most RPGs but if you're really trying to get a laptop for gaming purposes (obviously various school-required software will work on just about any laptop out there), you might be better served getting a laptop through one of the boutique gaming vendors as the integrated graphics are really going to limit what you can do regardless of the rest of the specs. There are very few laptops out there that are meant with gaming in mind. With the ease of turning a laptop into the same sort of setup I use right now I could have completely done away with the desktop and go with laptop mobility but the market's mostly for the mainstream customer whose gaming needs are likely limited to Solitaire.

For example, I'd say that http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Black_Friday_Fangbook_III_Special with 5% Black Friday coupon would be a better option if you aren't in a hurry.

8. Clessy

Clessy Member

I bought the Toshiba already and absolutely love it. My biggest concern where premium looks, form factor, noise, screen resolution and load speeds being able to play some simplistic games on the side was just a bonus. Every ys game I tried was obviously able to run at native 4k with no issues what so ever.

9. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

The Ys games probably have much lower system requirements than the other games you mentioned. Falcom's PC games from that era are roughly Dreamcast-tier.

I'd guess they would be playable if the ports are decent (Valkyria Chronicles is, I'm not familiar with the other two). Don't expect 4K/60FPS though.

10. Clessy

Clessy Member

I used sonic generations as a base line and that was 1080p 60fps solid but at 4k it chugged. I found that the sweet spot was 1600x900 at max settings and fsaa instead as the upscaling on this screen is insanely good. I figure jrpgs are less demand than sonic as movement speed is dramatically lower plus Ive yet to see any jrpg on steam with graphics even remotely as good as Sonic generations.

If theres humble bundle or good steam sale i'll snab something for testing. The laptop kinda put me in broke city for a month tho.