Sword Art Online -Hf- ... What The ...

Discussion in 'Mostly Harmless (Serious Discussion)' started by Trill1996Eric, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Trill1996Eric

Trill1996Eric New Member

Okay, so I got this, because I've been meaning to get into SAO but really, never had time for the anime since I had games, and other anime to watch.

Anyway, got it and...the translation...hurts me physically and mentally.

Is it just me or did Namco just not try at all, or something? What's your guys opinion on it?
    I mean the story seems interesting from what I can understand and the gameplay is cool but wow...the translation is my main miff with it.
    I have MANY screenshots just from playing the game for around 2 hours of errors, typos, and other things...I can post them later but wow, I'm appalled. How is Namco NOT EMBARRASED by this?!

2. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

This should explain everyone else's opinion on it: http://forum.marvelous-usa.com/index.php?showtopic=26472&st=50

3. Amaterasu175

Amaterasu175 New Member

I need to get this game, take a screencap of every typo, and see how many there are.

...Is it sad that I want to get a game because of its poopy translation? (answer: yes. Masochism ftw)

4. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Woooow... I heard something about the Asian version having a bad translation, or maybe Namco just used theirs or something? Still, for a full-priced game this had like NO editing with it >_>

5. KlausRealta

I guess they just use the Asian version's translation. It's honestly sad that this was released as a finished product and there's no way that I buying this anytime soon. This looks completely unprofessional and makes it seem like Bamco thinks that their fans would be ready to purchase crap like this.

Having typos is something that can be ignored, but this far exceeds a simple typo.

I was incredibly proud of Bamco USA for bringing this game stateside, but they greatly diminished any admiration I had for them. Hopefully, they won't pull off a stunt like this again.

6. Amaterasu175

Amaterasu175 New Member

inb4 Tales of Hearts R is butchered like this.

...Although, isn't there something that people don't like about it, from what's been shown? Probably not a horrendous translation like SAO, but I could have sworn people here didn't like something about Namco and Tales of Hearts R.

...That was a great explanation.

7. Trill1996Eric

Trill1996Eric New Member

I just heard it came out and was like cool, imma get it...but wow...I just...cried

8. Trill1996Eric

Trill1996Eric New Member

http://www.blade2187.com/2014/04/18/attn-namco-please-fix-these-things-in-hearts-r/
    http://www.blade2187.com/2014/04/21/no-no-no-no-no-no/
    http://www.blade2187.com/2014/06/12/you-guys-need-a-localization-director/
    http://a0t.co/2014/04/18/tales-of-heartbreak/
    http://a0t.co/2014/04/21/this-pains-me-to-the-kor/

Sources right there. Seems the translation is being butchered, not as bad as SAO but still...
    Tales of Graces F had their names as Shing, Amber, and Jadeite...why change them to Cor, Kohaku, and stuff. I totally agree with them on that point haha.

9. KlausRealta

I think there was a thread on GAF or something where people said that Hearts R was worse than the original, mainly because of shift from 2D action in the original DS version to the 3D action in Hearts R. I think there was also something to do with the frame rate or graphics or something, but I can't remember.

Well, at least we can all play together in the game (whenever a sale happens because I refuse to spend any more than $20 on that piece of crap translation).

10. Amaterasu175

Amaterasu175 New Member

I was referring to the translation, mainly (essentially, see Eric's post).

11. Trill1996Eric

Trill1996Eric New Member

AD HOC only...does that mean we can play online? Or only nearby?

12. Amaterasu175

Amaterasu175 New Member

Isn't ad hoc local only?

13. KlausRealta

I guess I was mistaken in thinking that it had online play.... I guess I'm not getting the game then.

14. akito666

akito666 New Member

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with the game besides a few typos and grammar mistakes.

15. Amaterasu175

Amaterasu175 New Member

But it's the severity of them that's bad. Eric, exactly how many screenshots do you have of typos and other mistakes from just TWO HOURS of playing?

16. Trill1996Eric

Trill1996Eric New Member

Screenshots...around 15....but I've seen quite a few more

17. TheSandwichOven

TheSandwichOven New Member

The translation is actually better than the Asian version's... Slightly better. They are no longer penetrating the floors nor is Kirito a black man anymore, and it never gets so bad that you can't understand it. This is just the main/event dialogue, though. Pretty much everything else is the same, so skills are even worse and stuff like partner conversations as well as some messages you get are incomprehensible. Apparently there's a rumor that Bamco was testing the waters with the game... and yet again they prove that they suck at doing so.

18. Trill1996Eric

Trill1996Eric New Member

Wait...testing the waters in what?! :c

19. TheSandwichOven

TheSandwichOven New Member

Basically, market potential. They release the game, usually while minimizing losses as much as possible, and, depending on how it does, determine whether the series worth putting money into or not. If it doesn't do well? They don't lose too much. If it does? New moneymaker.
    ... It's something like that, anyways. Bamco usually go pretty heavy on minimizing losses too, so whenever they do this, it's not too hard to tell.

20. Trill1996Eric

Trill1996Eric New Member

So they do this "testing the waters" thing with a horrible translation? Um...