Super Robot Wars Og Series Ps3/psvita Games

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Teknoman, May 19, 2014.

1. Teknoman

Teknoman New Member

Developed by Banpresto.

I'm not speaking of the OG exceed games for the DS that were brought over by Atlus, but the actual SRPG series featuring giant robots with elaborately stylish attacks and galaxy altering scenarios.

Box art for 2nd Super Robot Wars Original Generation on the PS3, released November 29, 2012.

[​IMG]

Now from what i've seen with the series, normally anyone outside of Japan would not have a chance of seeing a SRW release because of all the anime licenses tied to them, which span decades, however what sets the OG series apart is that they feature "Banpresto Originals", characters and robots that are created by Banpresto alone. Luckily, we were able to see two of the OG series games release in North America via Atlus (Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 1 and 2), but since then...none of the other OG releases have had the pleasure of such a fate.

Footage from 2nd Super Robot Wars Original Generation:
    https://www.youtube....h?v=B2V4n12qNio Opening Cinema

https://www.youtube....h?v=R9ey1pfOhNQ Examples of attacks

I'm not sure how costly this would be, but i'd think a text only translation, and maybe digital release + limited physical release would see a decent profit, considering that there are alot of fans of both giant robots, anime, and tactical/strategy rpgs, and at times (more often than not) the fan bases overlap. It would be best to start with 2nd Super Robot Wars OG simply because I believe it was the first of the OG games to arrive on the PS3. Not to mention, the majority of fans these days seem to be ok with the original Japanese voice actors remaining, especially for games that are very inherently Japanese.

There are other OG games available on the Vita as well, such as:

Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masō Kishin III – Pride of Justice (which was also available on PS3 with a cross save feature)

[​IMG]
    https://www.youtube....h?v=DtQOZSEl_bo Battle animation footage from the Vita version

There really doesnt seem to be a reason for someone not to release these games in North America aside from perceived lack of interest, and RPG fans are always looking for a new series to get into. Why not one with a proven track record? Not to mention, there really arent that many Tactical / Strategy RPGs releasing these days, aside from the DIsgaea series.

2. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

Super Robot Wars is such a richly complex strategy series full of those hot-blooded moments that make you realize just how awesome video games can be. But...we'll never see another game localized here outside of fan translations. It's sad, but it seems like having giant robots in your title is an immediate death sentence for localization. You'd think with the success of titles like Mechwarrior or Titanfall that maybe that isn't the case, but outside of the vocal minor fanbase, there just isn't a whole lot of appeal. Heck, Gundam video games don't get localized here much and you'd think if ANY series would be localized with giant robots, it'd be Gundam.

Bamco being the producer of this title fact also means we won't ever see the title localized. It's not a 100% exception, but rarely does anyone else localize one of their properties, and Bamco wouldn't localize this.

3. Teknoman

Teknoman New Member

True, but I feel theres still hope if Bamco let Atlus publish the Exceed series. Its a slim chance, but it would be nice for them to give it a shot. But I see what you mean about the Gundam games. Actually kind of surprised that Dynasty Warriors Gundam keeps showing up.

Apparently there is a whole Operation Rainfall type deal trying to push Bamco about it (Operation Hotblood) so maybe it'll make some sort of push.

4. Karrion42

Karrion42 New Member

For what I know, there are two problems in localizing SRW games:

1- The two OG Super Robot Wars that we got here sold next to nothing.

2- For non-OG Super Robot Wars, the quantity of licensing paraphernalia that would have to be done would be enormous and even impossible in some cases. It is said that SRW W was made with us non-japanese in mind and even then it didn't get localized.

A pity, really, but I've already given up on any more SRW being localized, so I'm importing every one I can :p

5. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

And an utter shame at that because they're EASILY the best GBA games out there.

6. Karrion42

Karrion42 New Member

I think it would have been a bigger hit if they localized the ps2 remake of both, but I shiver at the thought of listening to every pilot with english voices.

P.S.: Even though I'm a big SRW fan, I think the Golden Sun games were better. And in terms of SRW games, J and D are definitely better than those two. OG 1's animations were almost non-existant and the usefulness of the poor Grungusts was null. It was balanced very strangely and I think they fixed all that and many more things in the remake.

7. akito666

akito666 New Member

I am upset as much as you are.

I remember getting Super Robot Taisen OG Gaiden (PS2) in Japan for about 600 yen, brand new when it costs like 600 HKD in Hong Kong. 600 yen is about $8 back then whereas 600 HKD was $85. Buying the game off Play-Asia was even more expensive! In this era of gaming where there are DLCs, getting the game itself is just non-satisfactory sometimes. Unless they localize the game, getting those DLCs will be a serious hassle. Importing PSN cards can be very expensive!

XSEED, please cater to us SRW fans too!!!

8. overthebarrier

overthebarrier New Member

Like others have said, SRW has a few problems:

1 The GBA games sold very little, either because the fandom was tiny or most people pirated it
    2 Lots of text
    3 The licensed games are never happening ever
    4 Questionable mass-market appeal (not everybody is necessarily into robots)

The OG games are also kind of difficult since they tell a continuing story. We got OG1 and 2, but they rebooted the timeline with Original Generations on PS2, and then OG Gaiden introduced a ton of characters. If you start with OG3, you miss, for example, Kouta and Compatikaiser's introduction. The easiest might be the Masoukishin series since they're all on PSP at this point.

I think the biggest problem is the first one, a publisher could theoretically include a character profile book in the special edition so you know who all these people are.

9. Karrion42

Karrion42 New Member

Well, the Masoukishin take away the SD component of all the other SRW, so maybe they are easier to digest for newcomers. Maybe they are not as text-heavy as the kisekis, but it would take a reasonable effort either way that I don't think they can afford, I'm afraid :(

Though on the point of the mass-market appeal, I don't think that's what XSeed is aiming, given that lots of titles that they have localized are kinda niche. The only problem that I can see is that people will probably not want to spend money on an almost-assuredly digital copy of a game that they probably own already in physical form even if it's in japanese. I myself would be in that case if they localized OGs, for example :/

10. overthebarrier

overthebarrier New Member

There's also the problem that they're owned by Bandai, who really don't like sharing their toys.

They're not Kiseki level in terms of difficulty but there's a LOT of text. Usually you have about 50 to 60 chapters per game with as much as half an hour of text at the beginning of the chapter. Plus battle lines for a cast of thousands, many of whom alter their dialogue depending on who they're fighting or the conditions of the fight. Plus injokes to other games in the series and to famous anime (some of which are quite old by now).

It's really the kind of project where you can easily invest a lot of effort and STILL get the fanbase mad because you missed something.

11. RidleyX4

RidleyX4 New Member

Why not hold a crowdfunding to both gauge interest and subsidize the localization? If BamCo is willing to lease the SRW license for a price, then the money could go towards that, too. SRWOG2nd could be done first, then as stretch goals, the PS2 games (OGs and OGG) could be released on PSN. There's got to be a pricepoint where BamCo would be willing to have a different publisher release three games outside Japan.