Strategy Guides / Art Books

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Clessy, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Clessy

Clessy Member

Why doesnt Xseed get some limited edition quality stratgey guides published.

I love collecting physical items and it would be nice to at least be able to get physical guides for games that have no change of getting physical releases.

A FC/SC complete guide and art book would be fantastic!

2. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

We used to publish strategy guides (for the Wild Arms games and Shadow Hearts and such when XSEED first started up), but kind of stopped after a while -- apparently because strategy guides are incredibly time-consuming and a real pain in the tuckus to manage. ;)

Though I had a really good time working on Adol's Travel Journal for Ys Celceta, as well as the mini in-manual guide for Ys I & II Chronicles PSP, and we were pretty pleased with the results of our Ragnarok Odyssey strategy guide included with the game's LE, so I'm sure we'll come up with some more strategy guides of our own in the future. They'll pretty much have to be part of LEs, though, as publishing a separate book based on one of the properties we've licensed is kind of a logistic nightmare -- which means you probably won't be seeing a Trails guide from us anytime soon, I'm afraid.

-Tom

3. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

Mentioned it before but I really liked the travel journal. Much neater addition to a LE than a picture book. I know it's a lot more work, but you've got at least one person that definitely appreciates the extra effort.

4. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

As far as actual artbooks go, Udon has been localizing them. They have out a Ys one and 2 Trails ones, so there's something.

5. Clessy

Clessy Member

Thats a shame I just got my limited edition Pier Solar for Dreamcast and it baffles me how a independant company of around 3 real staff memebers makes better quality and limited edition stuff than any big company i've ever seen.

Their strategy guide makes everything else i've seen look like junk. I mean it makes Working Designs releases look like B tier garbage.

Just really wish we could see some of that stuff for Falcom games as I know the demand is there.

http://magicalgamefactory.com/en/boards/pier-solar-about_5/Pier-Solar-HD-CE---Wow_20650/ I posted in this topic pictures of my unboxing.

6. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Easy answer and this is why: https://www.kickstar...c-mac-linux-and $$$$$$ from backers, and they probably aren't profit-heavy like AAA game companies etc.

7. tilinelson2

tilinelson2 Active Member

In fact kickstarter only explains that, they can even be profit-heavy if they want. If you make your LE conditional to the kickstart backing, you can include an one-off Alisa Reinford life sized doll for $1000 and be sure you will not lose any money since you will only manufacture that if that crazy guy orders it. Rather different from printing LEs without knowing how many copies you will sell, overestimating it and having them being sold in the bomba-bin. If you are selling exclusively through your store, you lose money immediately. If you sell through retailers, your relationship with them will suffer to the point of refusing to carry your future products.

8. ceruleanstars

ceruleanstars New Member

I have a copy of the Ys artbook, and it's very nice. My only complaint about it is the near-lack of inclusion of material from either previous version of Ys IV, and it's interesting to see how the designs of some characters evolved into their Celceta forms, but very little artwork from either of the others ever seems to have been released.

The Trails ones, errr... The art and concept sketches are fine in themselves, but the English translation has some issues. It looks even worse now that SC is actually out and Udon's translations of various names and things don't match XSEED's (and aren't accurate to the original Japanese either, for that matter). I still don't understand why they couldn't at least wait until SC was out to release the artbooks, especially since XSEED now has their "Kiseki bible" of their intended translations for names and terms from 3rd, Zero and Ao and they could have consulted with Brittany and the other Kiseki experts about what they had in mind.

9. Poshakitoo

Poshakitoo New Member

Can you, Tom? :)

What? i have money and a lot of time...