Something To Consider (For Preserving Video Games).

Discussion in 'Mostly Harmless (Serious Discussion)' started by bloodycelt, Mar 9, 2014.

1. bloodycelt

bloodycelt New Member

One thing books have is that they use the most durable archival format: paper. And you don't have to worry about needing old electronics to keep using one.
    Music, you can worst case scenario get the sheet music, and re-create the song with newer musicians.
    Film, you can shine a flashlight through the reel.

But video games.... the only games 100 years from now that would be playable could be Doom, and Sim City simply because all one needs is to port the source that was released.

I'm not saying video games should be open sourced like gnu and what-not, but consider this:

If you could buy the source code to games like you can get the sheet music to popular songs,it would help people in running the games they bought on newer platforms, and it wouldn't have a large effect on existing piracy. (You can't legally distribute source code, its still protected by copyright. All it lets you do is modify it to say run on your mac. )

2. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

Preservation is one reason quality emulators are nice. Of course, for something like BSNES/Higan, you need a lot of horsepower even for 16 bit games. So systems like the PS2, let alone PS3/360 and beyond, are likely going to require some next gen graphine-based processors to be able to emulate them perfectly.

The high level emulators like P64, Dolphin and PCSX/2 kind of work decently, but they will never be perfect and as a result aren't ideal for preservation.

It's kind of unfortunate how the industry as a whole seems to care so little about preservation. To be honest I almost feel like most publishers are against the concept, they would rather you buy their new game than play some dusty old game from a couple decades ago (or last year for that matter).

3. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

As much as I enjoy real, tangible books, I have to disagree. Paper is not durable in the least bit. Archival books have GREAT care involved with them, since well at least in older books, they can be super fragile. Cheap stuff today is still being produced where the spine glue is very cheap, making it easy in falling apart. Books are succumb to 'yellowing' if poor paper is used with it. The worse of all, however, is that there are certain bugs out there that enjoy books. I believe its mainly from the glue and other substances in the paper, although termites themselves may enjoy the wood pulp. I still remember in my Elementary School seeing posters everywhere not to eat around books and to teach the kids that, since it would encourage these bugs to come around :/ Oh and lastly, books burn pretty easy :/

Movies themselves are highly regarded and I hear it's thanks to George Lucas that preservation even began for classics. It's true, many oldies are lost in time because no one took an interest. Games however? Up to the fans, really. You can see Nintendo and their emulation :/ Not to mention I've heard enough stories of publishers going "oops! We lost the original source/master code for this!" 0_o HOW??

4. bloodycelt

bloodycelt New Member

This is why having access to the source code is a better option, and there is no legal grey area, you bought the code, you can modify it to run on your system.

5. jd20dog

jd20dog New Member

emulation is a long and tedius development process with the hope of running games in there original digital enviroment, all emulators start as a berly usable shell that has to hold and run everything the way its intended to witch is why they tend to requier 10 times the user space to operate ontop of the game they are running
    it takes time with alot of trial and error to make one from scratch
    epesialy on consoles like ps3 witch run games on "the bare metal"(no console os at the same time, game's softwere is running and conrolling the hardware directly) so it can git very buggy to try and emulate them at first, untill the emulated enviroment is matched to the original consoles system enviroment,
    newer hardware like xbo and ps4 run the gamesoftware on top of the consoles os from what ive read, this is for more media feactures and for much more controle over the internal enviroment with security

with the right inside knolege you can create an enterpriter program that can directly understand the games programing and request protocal and convert it to run in a new enviroment and will take far less resourses to use
    this is done in systems like ps3, ps vita, and wii and such, as the original devs have access to the inner working of the newwer hardware and understand the inner workings of the older hardware and can set certain things to run in different ways if nessasary
    exe:: ps vita dose not have the psp's media drive chip set so software like ps1 games need the sound plugin to run in a diffrent way then on the psp's original chip
    as of now, only sony knows how this is done in the vita

its also used in the actual video games as the games operation engine like souce(valve), unreal(unreal labs) and many others so that the game can be ported easly between consoles and pc's os's, with difrent versions to interact with difrent hardware

as for preservation of old video games, i beleave the console manufatures should resale older consoles every few years in limited runs this would solve the usability issue, but as for the games them selves, they will git damaged over time as using them wares them out
    or you can rip them for permante use in the emulator or system of your choice