Since the thread about the forum closing doesn't allow comments...

Discussion in 'Important Update About Our Forums | Please Read' started by Kikki, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I thought I'd just make a thread to say 'bye' to y'all. For me personally, live chat is like cancer, so though I enjoyed the forum, and I liked being able to get a bit of game info here, too, I won't be making the transition to Discord. I hope everyone else has fun there. :)

2. Theswweet

Theswweet Active Member

I know I haven't posted much, at all, for the last couple of years - but I do have some pretty great memories from here! See everyone on the other side!

3. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

I asked this in the server, but I'll ask here, too: when's the actual end date for the forums? Right now, y'all just have "We will be leaving these forums up until [DATE]" which, uh... You know, between that and saying the year's 2019, not exactly a great sendoff.

Although fitting, if you ask me, with the problems that this place has suffered over the years. :p

Theswweet likes this.
  4. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

I feel a bit like you, I am not sure how active I will be there. Not that the Switch has any form of messaging but we should exchange friend codes so we can Animal Crossing sometime, unless you are not into that which is cool. Either way I have enjoyed all of our time together everyone.

Kikki likes this.
  5. beginner

beginner Member

Is this forum going to be archived somewher?

6. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Sent a conversation. Though...I've never done that before so it took me ten minutes to even figure out where I sent the message, afterwards. :rolleyes:

7. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Well crap. This is some sad news. Unfortunately, I won't be moving to discord.

8. DustyStarr

...I don't know what I am going to have in my second Firefox tab after this place vanishes. :( It's been XSEED for 9 years.

9. Cold_Steel_IV

Cold_Steel_IV Member

It now says: "We will be leaving these forums up until March 1st 2020." @Ammy175

10. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Cold_Steel_IV likes this.
  11. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

Oh no, this place will be sorely missed, I know its basically gotten less and less active the past few years, but with this closing I wont be on any forums now. Luckily I am on discord all the time, but it was nice to have a safe place here as discord's unified format can be a head ache with mutual servers and cross over.

That said who all is planning to move to discord? I think my decision will be based on how many of you guys I will be able to keep up with on there. I will definitely miss the remaining of friends where this is where we part ways :/

12. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Guess this is the last time I'll be posting before this place shutters... It's been getting smaller and smaller in here, but there's always ways to keep in touch! I won't be joining the official XSEED Discord. I don't mind Discord with people I know, but I feel out of place in a public setting >_>

13. JustAnotherNobody

JustAnotherNobody New Member

While I have just set up a discord account and hardly every posted on this site. I am saddened about the upcoming loss of this place. I would suggest on the 24 or 25 of February, someone should make sure that this is placed into the wayback machine. Give everyone a taste of what it was like being on here (I still look back on older posts and remember the times I wanted to join in but couldn't due to me losing my password). This place will be missed.:(

14. DustyStarr

I'm really sad the old place was never archived, I think this is the only version of this site that was ever logged.

15. Trails of Persona

Trails of Persona Active Member

A bummer but not a huge surprise. Forums were huge at the internets infancy but are now dying out. This one hurts since it was the best and easiest place to post Kiseki stuff and do some good dose of Rean dunking.

On the flip side, with the forum dying out soon perhaps I can use these last few weeks to have fun just shit posting between the serious stuff. I mean I can easily just migrate to a new forum and go under a new username and none would be the wiser.

16. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

Forums are inherently different things, and way more digestible and manageable.
    Especially with a smaller population, and Discord, being a chat thing (basically an IRC) doesn't really lend itself to that.
    Or even finding things, forums are great for collating things and general archival compared to a free-wheeling spool of chat.

The main advantages I only really see are getting more numbers for a Discord, and less backend maintenance (forums need to be paid for to run and often run on oooold code, whereas Discord handles that kind of thing for you instead).
    Except it'll take a lot more active management of a Discord due to the faster and more populous nature.

So I'm not really convinced this will go the way its planned to?
    Unless the sole aim was to reduce the amount of backend upkeep, but you're swapping that for more active upfront time required for stewardship.

17. DustyStarr

And TBF active upfront time was never a strong suit for XSEED here. However, I will add that so far XSEED has been fairly on top of things on their Discord, I just hope that lasts.

18. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

That's more true in this case than some of you may realize. Well, I'm sure some of you have noticed that when XSEED moved their forums over here, there were already accounts and posts going back to 2009, and there's that Online Refugees sections.

This place started as an Atlus forum, specifically for Atlus' short-lived MMO division (though it was originally presented as a hub for all kinds of entertainment, not just MMOs, but also anime, flash games, and ARGs). When Atlus gave that up, they sold the rights to their MMOs (and this forum alongside it) to Marvelous USA, who also dropped the MMOs after awhile, and this then became the new XSEED forums after your old one went down.

Basically, this forum has been passed down from company to company and repurposed for a bunch of different things. Even back in 2009 when this was an Atlus forum, it was barely being held together. It fell apart every other day it seemed like. We always assumed the code wasn't great, and the fact that XSEED was able to keep it together for so long was always impressive to me.

So, I do understand why they are giving up on the forum. Though as someone who has been here since 2009, and have seen it passed down to all these companies, I'm also devastated. Not because of a lack of XSEED news like most of you, but because eleven years of my online history is about to be wiped away. That said, I do appreciate XSEED for preserving it for as long as they have, and I understand their decision.

19. DustyStarr

My unhappiness has never been about XSEED news, I can get that wherever. It is more just that the XSEED forums have been with me for 9 years, that is a huge chunk of my own online history. I already felt horrible when the first website just just destroyed, and now it is happening again. And I knew this place was dying, but it being officially shut down so soon just makes the loss of this place sting even more. It is weird to have emotions wrapped up in a forum I know, but I do. I joined this place when I was in a lonely transtion period of my life, and it was with me all through college and past then. It is just... unsettling to imagine that this place will soon be gone.

20. FallenAngelSix

FallenAngelSix Member

Well, it's been over a year since I last posted here, but I do come back occasionally to take a look. I'm not the biggest fan of live chat either and forums serve a fundamentally different purpose, but I suppose I'll head over to the Discord server since I do use it anyway. To all those who are departing, it's been fun.