Shinovi Versus: Frequently Asked Questions

Discussion in 'Senran Kagura Series' started by Wyrdwad, May 11, 2014.

1. FirionHope

FirionHope New Member

Yeah that's exactly what I meant. I'd even do my best to support a game like that even though it doesn't personally appeal to me as much. I think it's cool to have new games and stuff for new audiences and people to enjoy, I just dislike when people demand existing things change to cater to their tastes (not accusing anyone here of that at all, just speaking in general terms).

Package physics would be funny and interesting. Could even be some interesting tech behind it like there is with oppai jiggle. Though I'd say it's a bit more lewd than boobs are, it's more equivalent to camel toe imo.

2. matrich99

matrich99 Member

Yeah I like Senran games the way they are. And of course I feel that the games are almost a parody about themselves. They have a good story and it almost made me cry at the end of Shinovi Versus the gessen story to be exact. It would be a shame to look at these games and just see the fan service because although that might be what get people in the door the games have a lot more to bring to the table.

I personally don't feel like fan service is bad at all. I think people in america and some other countries make it seem like japan only sexualize females but dragon ball z has plenty of fan service for females with all the muscled up dudes without shirts. (and that is just one there are plenty of shows like that) I think the Senran Kagura is just appealing to all those people that enjoy brawler games the fan service is just a bonus. As I and FirionHope have mention Senran has a good story. It is a little generic but the characters have plenty of personality. And the idea that Tom is stating would be great and I would probably buy it too. I just like brawlers and Senran Kagura is a great brawler. If they do an all guy cast and add "package physics" for me it would just be another game in the series and I would expect the same kind of passion put into it like the SK games have in them now.

I just think people tend to look harder at female sexualization just because its the one that people complain about. But if you put it next to each other I would say that its about even. With all the Shojo which has a more fan service for females and more just basic anime with male leads being ripped. I would think that they should look at those before making statements about women being over sexualized which I understand that fan service for males might outweigh it for females but it does occur on both sides.

With that being said the fan service in shinovi versus is no where near any ecchi or anything you might see in anime.(clothes tearing aside they are basically wearing swimsuits anyway and everything else is censored) And it might have boob physics but there are plenty of other games that have boob physics just think of Dead or Alive with the 5th game getting its 3rd edition on the 17th of February of course it has about a 50/50 division but it still is pretty famous (or maybe infamous) for its physics. SK is just making its mark and its pretty successful so changing the formula would be a detriment to its fans. I think that would be worst than trying to bring people in by evening out the cast just because some people don't like girls with big chests. Of course that is my opinion but that idea Tom mentioned would be cool and go full parody on it. Maybe make it an alternate reality of some kind or something to that effect. Also the guy they add in sk2 is Ikaruga step brother so even though its more of a joke it has some meaning in the story.

3. FirionHope

FirionHope New Member

That also gave me the feels. Though the most feels I got was for Burst, the whole last 2 chapters for Hebijo were really emotional.

4. matrich99

matrich99 Member

Yeah I agree its pretty emotional in that part too. Burst is great too might as well add that in. Kinda anticipating SK2 getting released in america because I don't want to spend the money on a Japanese 3ds just to play it.

5. FirionHope

FirionHope New Member

Ah well just so you know this exists https://github.com/smealum/regionthree/ (don't worry it doesn't allow piracy, only region free gaming). It'll probably be patched in the future but just thought I'd mention it. Anyway I hope we do get SK2 localized, I heard it had a pretty good story and is better than the first game in like every way. I'm hoping it'll be one of the unannounced games in that teaser they put out recently, otherwise I'm afraid they won't get around to it.

6. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

I dunno, it seems pretty clear to me why people might be opposed to fanservice. It's a judgeable aspect of a game, like music, graphics, gameplay, etc. For me, at least, I find the fanservice to be at borderline parody levels, occasionally crossing either side of the line. At times, I'm totally fine with it, and at other times, I wish the game would turn it down.

Yeah, this is probably the case, due to the existence of feminism. I think it was Tom that said it once (but that could just be my memory playing tricks on me again), and I'll echo it here: the removal of sexualized women I feel isn't the right answer. More sexualized men is a better answer.

There's also the part where some (actually, I think it's probably "most") of the girls are technically underage, but since that's a bit of a touchy subject (for me, at least), I'm just gonna leave it there.

7. FirionHope

FirionHope New Member

I understand not liking it, just like I don't like excessive gore but I hear rediculous amounts of whining about it everywhere (perhaps I worded it poorly). People hate it to irrational extents yet are fine with things that are arguably a lot worse. Even though I don't like excessive gore I find it easy enough to just ignore usually, or if it does bother me I simply avoid what has it rather than endlessly complain every time I see so much a drop of blood or demand it change to not offend me. Nor do I judge things that have that as an aspect or people who enjoy it. Why people can't do the same is what I don't understand (and I'm not asking for an explenation/excuse).

That's an entirely seperate issue indeed but that's another thing that people let bother them too much, the age of a fictional character not being whats arbitrarilly decided as legal in their personal real life jurisdiction. Not to mention since they're fictional anyway and their ages aren't real in the US release they are all 18 years or older. If going by apperence only 1 or maybe 2 of them look very young.

8. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

It also bears noting that the games lack any real sexuality. There are indeed girls among the cast who are supposed to be as young as 15, and they suffer clothing damage and have jiggle physics the same as anyone else, but there's never any actual sex with these characters occurring or even referenced anywhere in the entire series, nor have there ever been any occurrences of full nudity with any of these characters in the series to date.

People often interpret Senran Kagura's fanservice to mean that the characters are being sexually exploited, but that actually couldn't be further from the truth. At its worst, it's fetishistic eye-candy for the player, but in-universe, the characters are either taking battle damage from other women, or dressing in outfits that they themselves have chosen to wear.

-Tom

9. Ammy175

Those kinds of people should be taken as seriously as people who specifically hunt out, for example, Justin Beiber videos, downvote them, and leave comments like "lol, Justin Beiber sucks." I'd like to believe that people complaining about fanservice is them making some kind of connection between niche, Japanese games and loads of fanservice, but the Justin Beiber scenario is probably more likely.

Then again, I tend to stay away from areas that spawn discussions such as these, and thus, don't know what, exactly, is being said, so I should probably not be talking about it.

The girls technically have no age in the US version. Regardless of this, in my personal opinion, changes to any character as a result of localization don't override the canon established in the original version. That is, the girls are actually 15-18 years old, not ?? years old. Plus, if we're going with "they're all 18", I feel it's a bit of a stretch to assume that all the first years, second years, and third years are all the same age.

Also, how old somebody looks and how old somebody is are two different things.

True, and that's something that I'm very glad the series hasn't done (and will hopefully stay that way forever). However, the abundance of cleavage (and lack of clothing as a result) are still capable of causing arousal.

10. FirionHope

FirionHope New Member

I try to aswell but I like to keep up with news and enjoy forums and the such and even though I make an effort to avoid it, it's incredibly hard to do so. Aggravating really.

Yeah I guess it wouldn't override canon, I was just using it as an example. But it feels a bit unfair to not take into account that laws and the culture where these things are made is a bit different too so they're only underage in some places (hell the age is 16 in the UK, and was considered for lowering to 15). Not to mention the fact something that happens in a fictional world being illegal isn't the same as in the real world. But this isn't really pertaining to Senran anymore so I'm happy to agree to disagree on this.

I wonder if we'd ever see games like this for Plus in the US sometime in the future. Have any of Xseeds games been so far? I can't think of many niche Japanese games that have been in general, Muramasa and Dragon's Crown are all that spring to mind right away.

11. Ammy175

I'm unaware of any, but I wanna say that one of the Valhalla Knights games was free for a limited time even to users that didn't have PS+.

12. FirionHope

FirionHope New Member

Ah you're right

https://ggtriple.wordpress.com/2013/10/02/valhalla-knights-currently-free-for-pspvita-on-psn-without-ps-plus/

Darn I missed out on it. Well I didn't especially want it anyway, but I would've given it a try at least. The 3rd gold version was on JP PS plus last month I think.

13. matrich99

matrich99 Member

Although I agree with the points stated. I would like to say that there are plenty of men being eye candy(better term then sexualized as Tom pointed out) for women just us guys may not see it as bad as feminist see the eye candy for men. Its just another inequality that extreme feminist try to push saying its equality. My big complaint with the feminist thing such as FeministFrequecy videos with anita sarkeesian is in the last video stating half truths and full lies trying to prove a point. I actually like the first couple of her tropes video but the last one was what I guess everyone was picturing her series to go. I did not feel it was any good at all.(although I don't condone the death threats and what not that was said to her) I would love to see more games with female leads. And I could care less if they wanted to add more female eye candy as I just like to play video games so it really doesn't matter to me.

A lot of this really boils down to do you like fan service or at least can stand it. For me I enjoy it, won't lie that it may have been what got me in the door to play these games. I am a dude in his early twenties anyway so that may have something to do with it. I feel that people that don't like fan service are entitled to that opinion and I respect it I would just say that if you can look past it this game and the others in the series are quite good.

I will have to try this out getting a N3ds already pre-order it and everything maybe soon after I can pick up a Japanese copy of SK2. Also it took almost 14 months for them to localize SK burst so I feel that it will probably get announced and then released sometime this year. Xseed (through people on the forums and else where) have stated multiple times that they will do there best to localize any of the SK games.(or any game they can get there hands on) Its been pretty lucrative in the past so I don't think that will be changing any time soon.

14. LinksFantasy

LinksFantasy New Member

I guess I'd just like to see some quirky games from Japan with some man candy for the gay guys and girls. I wouldnt want this series to change focus as it obviously has a huge fan base of straight guys. At least with downloadable games tho you could test the waters and see if their is demand or a market for some risque or sexy time games targeting the other side of the spectrum.

15. FirionHope

FirionHope New Member

Nothin wrong with that. I've heard several companies express interest in otome games recently so maybe it'll happen.

16. LinksFantasy

LinksFantasy New Member

Yeah Askys is doing a lot of visual novels, and Akibas Trip is a good step in the right direction. With XSeed adding the bonus male pictures for the western version.

17. Dreikoo

Dreikoo New Member

I played the Hakuoki series just to try them and they were actually pretty fun. I guess female players may get a different sort of fun from them but I love Shinsengumi settings in games with good stories.