Shinovi Versus: Frequently Asked Questions

Discussion in 'Senran Kagura Series' started by Wyrdwad, May 11, 2014.

1. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

I understand that viewpoint, and you'll note that we did leave a few honorifics in place for our Akiba's Trip localization (along with common "anime" Japanese like "otaku," "moe" and "tsundere") due to its subject matter and target audience.

But with something like Senran Kagura, the target audience is... well, pretty much anyone who enjoys fighting games and/or ninja and/or boobs. ;) When you retain honorifics and other untranslated Japanese terms in something like that, you limit the audience a bit -- because even if the core audience knows what "san" and "chan" are, Average Joe Gamer does not... and hopefully, Average Joe Gamer is ALSO playing Senran Kagura. And we really don't want his experience to be bogged down with stuff that makes him wonder why he paid for a translated game when whole swaths of it aren't even translated, y'know? ;)

It's one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations, I think, which is why we pretty much defer to a general "no honorifics" rule that's in place at XSEED as a matter of policy. Games like Akiba's Trip are the rare exception to this rule, solely because honorifics and other anime staples are such a huge part of its plot -- but that's not true of Senran Kagura. Its setting may be Japan, but the fact that characters call each other "chan" or "san" is not actually relevant to the plot in any way other than to establish the exact degree of relationship one person has with another -- which can be established just as easily through word choice and tone in English.

-Tom

2. matrich99

matrich99 Member

As someone who has played both of the localized SK games that Xseed has brought over I could tell that its Japanese and agree with Wyrdwad as they don't need the untranslated words. I believe that honorifics can be seen as fan service anyway and we all know SK all ready has plenty of that to go around(although you could say that about Akiba's Trip also but that beside the point). With Akiba it has a lot of otaku culture intertwined into it so the untranslated words make since as that is the fan base. While I would say some of SK fan base might be otaku, I would definitely not consider myself otaku (although I do like me some anime every now and then) and since it is the ninja hot girl beat'em up it doesn't need the otaku treatment.

3. FirionHope

FirionHope New Member

I think saying it limits the fan base is a bit much. I doubt most people would be bothered enough by it to actually be well... bothered by it. And no real evidence that there aren't just as many people bothered by its exclusion. Certainly a smaller thing in the grand scheme of things but yeah.

4. matrich99

matrich99 Member

Well he is technically saying that. He is saying that the majority would understand what they are. I believe it is more of a "let's avoid people complaining about parts not fully translated" which undoubtedly would happen as on the flip side people rarely complain about honorifics and other terms not being there to a point of really never happening. As for Akiba's Trip on the other hand is more of a concise market of people. Those people are more inclined to be in the otaku group which in turn they would have a higher chance of complaining about the untranslated words. Of course Akiba's Trip has a decent amount of otaku references which is why the kept them in.

I would have to say that I was tripped up the first time I heard an honorific which then I had to look it up. Of course then learning about Japanese culture and how they show respect. I just don't feel like SK games really need that as it really doesn't focus on the Japanese culture aside for using ninjas which is almost generic when it comes to anything coming out of Japan and involve martial arts in any way.

5. FirionHope

FirionHope New Member

Yeah that makes sense then, maybe it was just poor wording (joke intended)

6. Matieo

Matieo New Member

Thanks for understanding.

;)

Hopefully Tamsoft makes text as clear as tits in their next game!

7. Wyrdwad

Come, now! Where do you think their priorities lie?! ;)

-Tom

8. RecklessWolf

RecklessWolf New Member

Hey Tom could you see if the dlc for shinovi versus can be discounted or have a sell? I want to buy EVERYTHING but i dont have over 50 bucks to throw at all the dlc right now (college student problems T.T). If everything was like 50% off or something that would be the the most amazing day ever.

9. matrich99

matrich99 Member

I am not affiliated with Xseed or Marvelous in any way but I will say that any discount on dlc right now will more than likely not happen with the game only being 3 months old it would be a little to quick for that. I would say wait a few months and you might see a discount but I highly doubt it. You might just have to buy it up in parts.

10. godashram

godashram New Member

how about a roll up DLC? 1 purchase gets you everything. it would be faster and easier than going 1 at a time.

11. FirionHope

FirionHope New Member

I'd also like a discounted all in one pack.

12. matrich99

matrich99 Member

I would like this to just because it would make it so much easier to download all of the dlc in one go. make it have all the pack discounts to but i don't think it would happen. I would like to have some kind of organization to the dlcs but that's something to complain to sony for.

13. FirionHope

FirionHope New Member

As with Akiba this is also on Japans PS Plus this month. Again you'll miss the story which is a good one but aside from that it's very easy to play the whole game, would be good to try it out and see if you like it enough to get.

14. matrich99

matrich99 Member

Although I don't know exactly who you are talking to but I plan on getting Akiba on my ps4 eventually I just lost my job so it may be a couple of months now but I enjoy Japanese things and I don't mind if they are translated or anything. I have already pre-ordered SK Estiva versus so not having translated games do not matter at all. As you can tell by the screen shots above which are directly from my ps vita playing the Asian game. I enjoy having untranslated games because it takes mind power trying to figure out how to play without anything and they switch the x button with the circle button which made me delete my save a couple of times. I had to get a guide for all the extras for the SK SV as I knew how to play the levels but the extras were hard to get use to. Also I don't have PS Plus for Japan so I couldn't take advantage of that even if I wanted to.

15. FirionHope

FirionHope New Member

Yeah I figured it was worth throwing out there for anyone interested. 1 month of plus is rediculously cheap (like sub $5) so it'd be a good way to try these games out. Pretty much all the other stuff this month aside from Clannad could also be enjoyed with limited to no JP knowledge.

16. matrich99

matrich99 Member

Yeah I would agree that Akiba would be a great game for anyone that likes anime or modern Japanese culture and the wackiness of japan or at least from what I have seen of Akiba. And the gameplay is pretty good to.(although I know anime doesn't imitate Japanese culture exactly it is kinda like a caricature of japan in a way minus super powers, tentacle monsters, robots, androids and whatnot ;))

17. LinksFantasy

LinksFantasy New Member

I'd like a version with a 50/50 split of girls and guys just to mix up the series a bit or even just a third of the roster. Until then I'm not willing to try the series as big breasts don't do much for me.

18. matrich99

matrich99 Member

I think you might be surprised on the writing on this game as its not all boobs like you might first guess. With my only real complaint being the fact that it pauses for each transformation and clothes ripping scene its actually a really compelling game. Of course if fan service puts you off I guess that is one thing but I would recommend you try the game before you knock it for having girls with big boobs in it. Also the sequel to Burst has a guy in it although it isn't the half and half you are asking for. I like the game for more of the hilarity than big boobs as I am an butt man myself. But I love beat-em up/brawler games and this game is fun if you are into those types of games. Also getting all A's for the score can be difficult in the hard versions of the levels. But basically I would say look past the fan service of this game because it is really fun.

On more of your point I believe that it will never be a 50/50 split of male and female maybe never is strong but I just feel like that the people making Senran Kagura games really established it in that realm as everything you fight and are fighting with are girls aside from the puppets.(and the males that were added to SK2) Also with the limiting the roster also probably won't happen as the SK 2 game adds the one male maybe two I can't really remember exactly and Estiva Versus adds more females to the game. Also the mobile game has like 40 girls on it.(the mobile game is a card game resembling bushy road games if you know what those are although not exactly that)

19. FirionHope

FirionHope New Member

Oh god I really hope they never start adding guy characters. They added the one as a joke and now you never hear the end of it. The whole series started because the creator likes boobs. Of course I think there's more to the series than that, but at the same time its part of its identity and what makes it what it is. I think judging it because of fanservice is silly as it is a fun brawler with a good story, but expecting people who intensely dislike fanservice (something I myself don't understand) would be a bit much. It's like when people ask if they'll like Neptunia even though they hate anime because it's a parody or something. And the answer is no, stay far away. If you're not at least indifferent to it you won't have a good time.

20. Wyrdwad

Yeah, if it weren't strictly about busty ninja schoolgirls, it wouldn't really be Senran Kagura anymore. I wouldn't mind seeing a spinoff with dudes (even an all-dude spinoff, for the sake of balance!), but if they went 50/50 and still called it Senran Kagura, I think there'd be riots. ;)

An all-male equivalent to Senran Kagura would actually be really cool, though. Since "kagura" is a type of traditional Japanese dance performed by women, the male version could be called "Senran Kami Mai" (the male equivalent of that dance). And could include "package physics" -- something we've actually suggested to developers before, but have yet to see come to pass.

-Tom