Shinovi Versus: Frequently Asked Questions

Discussion in 'Senran Kagura Series' started by Wyrdwad, May 11, 2014.

1. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

OK, I checked on this, and it turns out that accessory is called "Wrapping" in the English version, and will be making its PSN debut tomorrow.

Apparently, though we did model our DLC release schedule off of the Japanese one, we did not follow it exactly -- some items were shifted around for one reason or another.

-Tom

2. uniqueSOUL

uniqueSOUL New Member

need fix bug that make my game crash at the bigini of the game on cheking dlc plz i bought 2 times now i got 2 same gamee that i can't play plzz patch asoon as possible or show how to fii wannna play

3. Wyrdwad

That bug's been fixed for a couple weeks now. Is it still happening to you? If so, I would recommend taking the following steps:

(1) Redownload all the affected DLC items (Rainbow Panties, Confused Emoji, Censored Emoji).
    (2) Load up Senran Kagura Bon Appetit, if you have it, to reinstall the affected DLC items in that game. This is important, because if the bugged DLC is still installed in your copy of Bon Appetit, it will prevent Shinovi Versus from loading.
    (3) Load up Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus to reinstall the affected DLC items in that game as well.

That should be all you need to do, but if it's not working, I'd suggest you write in to support@xseedgames.com with the following information:

- What region your Vita is set to (North America, EU, Asia, etc.)
    - What region's version of the game you purchased (North America, EU, Asia, etc.)
    - Whether the game is physical or digital.
    - Whether or not you also own Senran Kagura Bon Appetit, and whether or not it's from the same region.

We'll then pass this information along to the devs and see if we can figure out why the problem is still occurring for you.

Very sorry for the trouble!

-Tom

4. PunchHopper

PunchHopper New Member

Hello there, Marvelous forums! Not sure if this is the right place to do it, but here I am. I'd like to ask Marvelous/XSEED about the decisions made with the localization, if possible. I was waiting to play the game until more of the DLC was out since I imported it, so DLC access and a translation was basically the main reason to double did (though for future games, a separate trophy list from the Japanese release would be nice!), and now here we are.

Anyway, my main question is, basically, was there a need to be so liberal about some of it? My Japanese isn't the best, but I'm only a very small ways in and already noticing some really jarring differences between the spoken dialogue and what's being offered as what the character is actually saying. With some characters (so far) it isn't drastic, but then there are instances like Yozakura, where you have a polite and to the point character coming off as more brash than her dialogue actually is.

I suspect most don't care as much about the writing in this game, or are willing to take what they can get given the game wasn't censored, but for me, I put dialogue and writing to the same standards as the visuals, if not above them, and so for me, I'd honestly much rather a visually censored game that has a faithful translation over an uncensored one that takes too many liberties - but I digress, that's neither here nor there. And of course, an uncensored game with a faithful translation would be the ideal, before anyone jumps the gun. I guess the short version is that I'd really like to hear what you guys at XSEED think about localizing and were thinking in particular about this game, if that's at all possible.

Oh, and if you could give a heads up to Taka that Estival Versus' DLC should apply to both school uniform and shinobi transformation, instead of just the latter, that'd be rad.

5. Wyrdwad

Can you give any specific examples? I'm really the only one who posts on our forums, and my involvement with the Senran Kagura games is pretty minimal, so I might not even know of the issues you're describing, much less know why they occurred. But if given examples, I can offer some ideas, or ask around in the office next month.

-Tom

6. PunchHopper

PunchHopper New Member

This next week's going to be fairly hectic for me - could I get back to you with them? If you're willing to wait until I get an off day again, I could go back through some of the things in question and send them to you with screenshots (thank you Sony for that feature). I can tell you offhand, there were a few instances of Yozakura's politeness just being disregarded for a more blunt approach, and I think one of her scenes in her story mode had her going "... uh... I guess I did it?" or something like that, when the dialogue she was speaking didn't match.

There's also a battle quote involving "hardball" that she says every so often that seems a little aggressive, but not nearly as much as some of the other things. Obviously the word is a more forgivable thing since we're talking a localization - specific phrases aren't so much my concern as character's personalities coming through properly.

Thank you for replying, by the way.

7. Wyrdwad

There's certainly no time limit here -- whenever you're able, please send us any egregious examples you can think of, and we'll be sure to review them (and flog the translators/editors responsible, possibly myself included since I did do at least a little bit of editing on this project!).

If I were to guess, though, I'd say it's most likely just a case of overzealous editing. We have editors at XSEED who don't speak much Japanese, instead basing their edits mostly on the English translations given to them. This is actually an important approach for us, as sometimes knowledge of Japanese can impede our ability to make things sound natural in English, since we'll always be tempted to go with common "Engrish" phrases (e.g. the ever-popular "It can't be helped!"). And these people are all very good editors, who produce excellent results -- but sometimes, their interpretations of the English text differ slightly from the translator's intent, which itself may differ slightly from the intent of the original Japanese. We've been training everyone to be mindful of this and refrain from making any editorial changes that go against the intended meaning or tone of the original text, but mistakes are inevitable -- especially with something as deeply personal as localization.

Most likely, the only thing we can do is learn from our mistakes and work toward better-quality localizations in the future, but any help you guys are able to provide to that end is always appreciated.

And every mistake is a badge of shame that we must wear forevermore, and which those of us NOT responsible absolutely love to remind those of us who ARE responsible of every chance we can get. Because sometimes, tough love is the best response. ;) Heheheheh...

-Tom

8. GeneralDissaray

GeneralDissaray New Member

My Vita will not load past the "checking dlc content" screen but only when I install the Merry Christmas free dlc. I have erased all dlc and save files for my original fat Vita and reinstalled all dlc. I narrowed it down to the Merry Christmas dlc. I also tried to install just the free christmas dlc on my girlfriends slim Vita and it will do the same thing on hers.(will not load past checking dlc screen) What can I do to fix this?

9. Dylanflash

Dylanflash New Member

The Merry Christmas dlc is bugged. The only "fix" is to delete it and NOT download the free Christmas dlc again in till Sony fixes it. Or you can just wait it out and wait for the dlc to be fixed. Then a re-download of the dlc should fix it.

More info about this and specifics on fixing it can be found in this thread.
    http://forum.marvelo...opic=27915&st=0

10. GeneralDissaray

GeneralDissaray New Member

thanks

11. KayoPolice

KayoPolice New Member

Sooooo any guesses or news to how well the game did over here in the west?

You can still find the LE of SK:SV on amazon rather easily....

I just wanted to know if I should start now in giving up hope for SK2 and EV getting dual audio or well honestly, if any future XSEED releases will have dual audio, seems like Akiba's Trip was the exception to the the recurring trend XSEED has displayed thus far.

12. Wyrdwad

Considering we've released three Senran Kagura games thus far, and all of them have been Japanese-only, I'd say you probably shouldn't get your hopes up. It's very, very likely we'll continue to support the series in the west, but honestly very UNlikely we'll dub any future installments. Not outside the realm of possibility, of course... but I don't want to lead anyone on, and I honestly don't think we'd be able to pull off English dubs for future titles in this series.

-Tom

13. FirionHope

FirionHope New Member

I am also very curious about this, for both SV and Bon Appetit (how well they did, not dub)

Also I missed the localization thing, darn. Well I'll post this anyway because I can

[​IMG]

I actually prefer somewhere in between the left and middle, really irks me how most J to A companies go nearly full right.

14. Wyrdwad

We don't! Our general method is to read the Japanese, figure out the meaning of the line (along with its tone, the personality of the speaker, etc.), then write a natural-sounding English line that captures that tone and personality while still conveying the meaning of the original dialogue.

I don't know who these characters are, but I believe that if we were to localize this strip, it would be something like this (pending further information about the characters' personalities):

Whoa, Yui! Your lunch looks delicious! Can I have some?
    Sure!
    Thanks so much!
    Man, that's good!
    Thanks!
    Hard to believe it's week-old leftovers, huh?
    Ugh... You jerk...

-Tom

15. FirionHope

FirionHope New Member

Yeah wasn't accusing you guys, you seem like one of the better ones which is a a big part of the reason I'm a fan. I'm not sure it's from anything in particular, might just be a mock up as an example. I kind of apperciate the honorifics especially in a modern day semi realistic setting though it definitely varies from person to person as to what "level" of localization is preferred.

16. Wyrdwad

I used to prefer the honorifics as well, but came to realize that honorifics in a localization immediately limit your audience -- and worse still, make the end result sound like something no one would ever actually say in English (unless your characters are meant to be hardcore otaku, anyway, as in Akiba's Trip).

The best localizations are the ones that make you forget the game ever existed in any other language, because the dialogue just sounds 100% real.

-Tom

17. Augen76

Augen76 New Member

Would you say it is very very VERY likely though?

18. Matieo

Matieo New Member

Currently enjoying SV, and planning on looking into Burst and Bon Appetit once I'm done. I was curious about something, though, and I'm nitpicking here, but is there a reason why the intro assets for a character's name and school are low quality right before battle?

Example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't have screencaps for, but the Store menu, Record menu, and Victory/Failure sign, after battle, are all the same low quality.

19. matrich99

matrich99 Member

I don't understand what you are complaining about. The text and other things are in the same quality as everything. I would say if anything they might not be as vibrant as other things due to color choice. Although that really isn't Xseed's fault as you can see from the Asian games are the same way. And Xseed uses all the same assets.

[​IMG][​IMG]

This is the save menu
    [​IMG]

20. flarecde

flarecde Member

Those menus did feel a little blurry. That's just the way they are though. UI should be clearer though.

For me, I think in situations like Akiba's Trip or SK, where it takes place in Japan and the characters are Japanese (presumably speaking Japanese, even if the text is English), honorifics are preferred. Other common Japanese terms with no English analogue, particularly those related to the otaku culture, are also preferred. If it feels a little Japanese, it would kinda make sense in those cases.

For Akiba's trip in particular, I was really torn between using the English or Japanese voiceovers. The English voiceovers were really good, but felt... wrong. Maybe because the setting was trying to otherwise be authentic (in a satirical sense, at least).