Shinovi Versus: Frequently Asked Questions

Discussion in 'Senran Kagura Series' started by Wyrdwad, May 11, 2014.

1. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

As requested, I'm going to copy over some of the frequently asked questions from the general Shinovi Versus topic, and update them with a few new answers as well. If anyone else wants to know anything else in particular, please don't hesitate to ask -- though some questions won't be answerable for a while, so please do understand if I can't address everything!

Q: Physical card in the "Let's Get Physical" edition, or voucher for a download copy?
    A: Physical card. We wouldn't call it "Let's Get Physical" if it were just a download voucher. ;)

Q: Is the DLC present on the card/download, or will it have to be purchased separately?
    A: I don't know the exact answer to this just yet, but typically, we try to include all of Japan's free DLC on the card/in the download, while selling all of Japan's paid DLC separately. So if I were a betting man, that's what I'd bet on. (Again, though, nothing is confirmed just yet, so no assumptions!)

Q: Where will it be available? In the XSEED online store?
    A: Actually, our online store will NOT be carrying the game. Our online store pretty much deals exclusively in overstock, so it never gets any of our new titles. It should be available... at all the usual suspects, pretty much. We'll let you guys know when preorders are up. (Update: Preorders are up now at GameStop for U.S. customers already, and should be up at Amazon within the coming week.)

Q: What about EU/other regions?
    A: No news yet, but you guys are always on our minds, so don't worry! We'll do what we can for ya'. ;)

Q: What about Canada?
    A: Things take a little longer with you guys, but fear not! We'll get it up for preorder in your neck of the woods as soon as we can.

Q: How limited will this limited edition be?
    A: That's really hard to say, honestly. If you want to ensure you get a copy, I'd say absolutely preorder -- but even if you don't preorder, there's a decent chance you'll be able to find it on store shelves close to launch. I wouldn't take the risk, if it were me... but if you wanna live life on the edge, who am I to stop you? ;)

Q: Do I have to know the story from Burst to enjoy Shinovi Versus, or is it standalone?
    A: It is actually a followup to Burst, so knowing the story of Burst will definitely help. You can certainly enjoy the game without knowing what happened in Burst, but there's a lot of character development you're expected to know going into SV, and there are also a lot of events you're supposed to know about well in advance (including ones that will outright spoil the ending to Burst for you, almost immediately). To my knowledge, the anime has the same plot as Burst (albeit with alterations, as is usually the case when games get adapted to anime), so that would be a viable alternative to playing the first title -- but if you own a 3DS, I would probably suggest playing Burst before picking up SV. (Unless you're not REALLY in it for the plot as you claim to be, anyway! Heheheheh)

Q: What kind of game is it/How does it compare to Burst?
    A: Most people like to compare it to the Dynasty Warriors games, but I actually think of it more as an expanded take on Burst. Burst was, after all, a game in which each stage involved progressing through a fairly linear beat-em-up environment performing aerial combos against various lackeys before finally fighting a big boss at the end... and that's exactly what Shinovi Versus is as well. The difference is that SV's battlegrounds have a user-controlled camera and full 3D movement, so there's a lot more depth and variety to the backgrounds, and a lot more opportunity to use the environment to your advantage in battle. In addition, there are a TON of new moves for each character, and also twice as many characters to pick from. And just like in Burst, each stage is preceded and followed by character dialogue and/or visual novel segments that drive the story onward. It's definitely got a lot more depth and polish than its predecessor, though, with a much smoother framerate and much greater detail (as well as moves that leave your enemies fully nude, albeit with little cartoon faces obscuring their private areas!).

Q: How about censorship?
    A: Like with Burst, none of the actual content is being censored, but character ages have been omitted from their profiles. Sorry, guys -- I tried, I really did!

Q: What will it be rated?
    A: It will be rated M for Mature, unlike its 3DS predecessor. Suffice it to say, this is a well-deserved rating, as the game's risque factor is like 10x higher. ;)

Q: What about these online passes for multiplayer?
    A: The online passes present in the Japanese version of the game will NOT be present in the English version. There will be no online passes for multiplayer.

Q: Will there be cross-region multiplayer?
    A: Unknown, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Chances are, it won't be possible to do cross-region multiplayer between the English version and any Asian version of the game, though if it does get an English release elsewhere in the world... maybe? This is something we probably won't be able to answer with any certainty until very close to release.

Q: Oh yeah, speaking of release, is the date GameStop/Amazon/other retailer told me the actual release date for the game?
    A: At the time of this writing, we haven't announced a release date for Shinovi Versus. Any date you're seeing is a retail placeholder. Basically, in order for retailers to offer Shinovi Versus for preorder, they have to have a release date in their system, so we give them our best guess ballpark estimate. This could be WILDLY inaccurate, but it's at least a fair indicator of when we're HOPING to release the game -- meaning, if everything goes super-smoothly, the game should find its way to store shelves within a few weeks of that date. The problem is... things never go smoothly. Ever. So I'd take any retail placeholder date with a very large grain of salt, if I were you. ;)

Q: Why do you keep announcing things that are clearly targeted solely at male/lesbian gamers?
    A: Because there are a ton of games being produced in Japan right now that fall into that category. We do try to keep the other half of the gaming population in mind, though, which is why we've taken steps to equalize the fanservice in our other recently-announced title, Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed. It's not much, but please do take it as an olive branch from us to you. ;)

-Tom

2. Theswweet

Theswweet Active Member

Will the art book included in the LGP edition have life and hometown?

Sorry, I had to be the one to ask! And how big would you say said artbook and OST are?

3. Wyrdwad

We haven't actually put either together just yet, so I'm afraid I can't give you a solid answer to either of those questions. Sorry!

-Tom

4. Theswweet

Theswweet Active Member

Ah well, had to ask! Keep up the good work, guys!

5. KayoPolice

KayoPolice New Member

I guess I have to be that guy but.......

Was a English voice over ever at any point considered? Honestly after reading that news about Akiba's Trip 2 and how the extras budget went to voice acting the game, I wouldn't mind losing a Limtied Edition for a English voice over.

More options for the fanbase is never a bad thing imo

6. Amaterasu175

Amaterasu175 New Member

I'm not sure if you're referring to the LE or a dub with that last sentence (I'm going to be assuming the latter, however), but the LE lets anti-digital people buy the game (or people who hate the Vita's unnecessarily expensive memory cards, and want to keep as much space on them as possible, such as myself). Dunno if you were around/lurked on the old XSEED forum, but back when Burst was announced, someone asked if there would be a physical release in the US... Which lead to a very heated debate (one that I believe was done multiple times throughout the history of the old XSEED forums), and continued on until the forums got hacked to bits.

So, while I have nothing against both English dubs or DD-only games, the LE was a good call, IMO. I'm not sure which of the two is more expensive, but in terms of getting more customers (thus, more sales, thus, more money), I'd bet a physical release (even if it's just a limited one) would be better than including a dub.

7. Wyrdwad

It was considered, but ultimately determined to be a nonviable option for a variety of reasons that I can't really get into.

It wasn't a decision that was made lightly, though -- but it was the only decision available, in the end.

I will say, however, that comparing Shinovi Versus to Akiba's Trip doesn't really work, as the two were fairly different situations. For Akiba's Trip, an LE was considered and rejected before we even decided to dub the game, for a whole DIFFERENT set of reasons -- one of which was the inability to include a soundtrack CD due to the large number of licensed shop themes used in the game (all of which are OK to use in-game, but not cleared for inclusion on a soundtrack album). And in Shinovi Versus' case, we ultimately decided to go with ONLY an LE -- no regular edition at all.

Different games, different legal situations, different sales expectations, different marketing plans.

That's all part of the reason I'm glad I'm not in marketing. I'd never be able to make the tough decisions like this. ;)

-Tom

8. Temuthril

Temuthril New Member

Are the LE preorders a GameStop/Amazon deal only, or will they appear at for example Video Games Plus or Play-Asia? The former two can have pretty expensive global shipping.

Edit: thanks for the reply, guess I'll wait a while to see if it pops up at other places.

9. Wyrdwad

That's basically up to Video Games Plus and Play-Asia. For the most part, retailers deal with our distributors, not us -- so we honestly don't even know who all stocks our games a lot of the time. It's entirely a matter of who places orders for them.

-Tom

10. FlatSnark

FlatSnark New Member

I have to agree. While i don't think anyone would care if there was an English dub as long as the Japanese dub stayed intact. But it's just that. ​I don't think anyone would care if there was a English dub and that's a lot of money to put towards something most fans wouldn't even care was there or not. So yeah I would bet a physical/LE would be more appreciated by the fans. (Including me.)

Now for the questions.

1) Now that Shinovi Versus has been announced shouldn't the Senran Kagura forums be moved back into the "Upcoming Games" section?

2) I heard there was dlc for this that was packaged with other stuff (Like anime DVD's) would that be counted as free or paid dlc?

11. Wyrdwad

You are correct, it should indeed! I've just been a bit lax about it, as I'm considering reorganizing ALL the game and series forums to make things a little easier for future updates, but can only make changes on that scale from the office -- and whenever I'm in the office these days, I'm super-busy. ;)

I'll try to get to it soon, though, for sure!

That's... actually a very good question! I'm not sure we even know the answer to that internally just yet... I'll check on it when I can and get back to you!

-Tom

12. Cappdog

Cappdog New Member

Awesome news, there! I just hope I can get my hands on one of the physical editions. Since I'm currently in Chile, it may be tough.

As far as DLC goes, I just hope we can get our hands on the two DLC girls, Daidouji and Rin :D

(Oh, and personally, I'm fine with just the original voices in this game. I can't picture the girls being portrayed in any other way right now)

13. Hectotane

Hectotane New Member

So is Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus getting an English dub?

I think it would be awesome if it did; only because the Senran Kagura anime is getting an English dub via FUNimation.

14. Amaterasu175

Amaterasu175 New Member

15. Cappdog

Cappdog New Member

I don't mind there's no dub for the game... I usually hate english dubs for anime. I do get why some people want them, though.

What I do mind is that Amazon can't ship the "Let's get physical" edition to my country :( ... guess I'll have to stick to the regular digital version :(

16. gcrzero

gcrzero New Member

Happy importing: https://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=21805

;)

17. Cqef

Cqef Member

[​IMG]

yessssssssssss B)

18. Ramzastrife

Ramzastrife New Member

The game isn't currently available on amazon (I got mine ordered on Amazon the other night after a host of problems). When I was able to get it pre-ordered, Senran Kagura was #7 Video games and #1 on Vita. Seems like this is going to be a very popular release, hopefully Amazon clears up the problem (provided it isn't a quantity issue). I don't know if you know Tom, but if it is a quantity issue it would be good to know so I can secure a pre-order at gamestop or something.

19. Augen76

Augen76 New Member

I am curious given the game is likely an October to December release when they have to establish quantities for physical edition. For example are they taking into account pre-order data to see how many to go with or has the number already been decided based on projections? I would feel bad for folks to miss out on the game physically due to greater demand than supply from day one.

20. LeonTekashi

LeonTekashi New Member

The only time supply and demand is a witch is when it comes to Limited Editions....