Senran Kagura Burst RE:Newal And Future

Discussion in 'Senran Kagura Series' started by matrich99, Feb 25, 2018.

1. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

@DustyStarr I agree I think telling Sony to grow up in this circumstance is pretty dumb, but alas thats a video I saw on YouTube of some persons opinion. Which is why I think alot of people arent seeing the entire picture and are either focusing solely on anti-censorship, or solely on underage morality and not both. But that seems to be the trend now a days, just focus on all the juicy shock value parts that fall into your personal beliefs and by extension your audience and dis-regard the other details for views, there are so many ignorant content creators out there that have no problems doing this.

2. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

You might be surprised about GameFAQs... pretty half the people on this site have chastised me for going there or told me to stop. They're a disgusting bunch. As for most people though, I can believe that it is not the content in question but censorship period.

Oh and no I have many other problems with the series, but again I'm not sure if I want to go into them because it seems pretty rude to badmouth some of XSEED's games on their own message board. X3

Though if censorship removes something bad that has no artistic reason for being there, is it still so bad? In the Yakuza 3 remaster they are removing a transphobic questline, and I can't imagine many people would want to defend that or find it's removal anything to scoff at. Or is it more about getting a lesser product than the Japanese version?

3. DustyStarr

Online gaming discussion has just gone downhill period it seems like... a lotta people just wanna shout about their personal beliefs, people don't want to be open minded. There's nothing wrong with being wrong sometimes, it's how we learn.

4. AnimeGamer183

Well, this story has just hit the cringiest of the cringe The Quartering made a highly uninformed and disrespectful video about everything. Man and I was just talking about how this was happening and then the worst of the worst pops up, yeesh. Buckle up for this one, he even takes shots at Tom by intentionally butchering his last name AND he doesnt even mention the real problem that it involves under age girls.

5. DustyStarr

Uhg that is a problem I notice when it comes to the discussion of censorship like this, like people go out of their way to try to omit the fact that the issue is this is dealing with underage girls, and a lot of countries and companies are just not okay with that.

Also you embedded... and man I do not even want to click that video, that is such a terrible thumbnail.

6. lail

lail Well-Known Member

I guess that would depend on how do you present it. But yeah, it might be a bit odd as a lot of it would probably just fall under 'you are not the target audience'.

Bad and not having artistic value are subjective viewpoints. I don't know about the Yakuza questline, but hearing it being removed and you saying that people are fine with does make me sad. It kinda speaks about the hopeless fight we're fighting. Sure, it is just a droplet. But droplets make a bucketful and bucketful is enough to be drown in. But that's not for this topic.
    Fixed for you. Playing my own part in that too, but I hope at least sometimes I can make a bit of positive contribution to make up for it.

Eh? Where does he take shots at Tom? Yes he could have brought up the age, but in his defense the Kotaku article he used as a source doesn't seem to have a mention about it either. And the age is not the story in this, the removal of the feature from PS4 version is.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  7. AnimeGamer183

Yeah it embedded automatically just by posting the link I was initially going to not embed but it forced me to :/

8. Jackkel Dragon

Jackkel Dragon New Member

It seems strange that the feature being censored is one that was in all the previous PlayStation games... But I feel like there are enough opinions going around so I won't go any further into that.

As for me, I might keep my preorder for the soundtrack CD, but will probably move over to the PC versions of the games when I can. Which leads to the question that brought me here: how exclusive is the digital content of the physical PS4 edition? Will that content be available for the PC version as a DLC? (I assume the Yumi story DLC will be, based on the other marketing information, but I haven't seen anything about the other stuff.)

9. DustyStarr

@lail Oh no there are PLENTY of people who are angry about the Yakuza thing (though to note it's been removed in ALL regions not just in the localized versions), but a lot of them are also pretty transphobic people already so... yeah. There is a difference between a game using transphobic content well (like in Akiba's Trip where I defended the use of the word "tranny" because it was trying to mimic how gross online discourse is), but in Yakuza 3 it was just a tired old gross stereotype for people to laugh at. Turning a marginalized group into a punchline is fairly indefensible I'd think.

I think bad and inartistic can be measured objectively to an extent: If something only exists for calculated marketing reasons, there probably is not artistic value. Then again even it exists for soulless market appeal the creators of the series do seem passionate about it... hmm, spose it is tough. Though I would like to see someone explain how sexualizing minors is good if it's not bad.

10. AnimeGamer183

Right, but the reason the feature is being removed is because that game mode involves underage girls, I was just saying at the core the underaged thing is the actual reason all of this is happening, and he mentions nothing about that specifically.

And his shot at Tom is subtle but give a good listen when he says his First and Last name, well his last name specifically and I dont want to repeat it here out of respect to Tom.

This guy is a such a dick and baits so much trouble towards himself, the guy that made this video was attacked at GenCon a couple months ago by a pro-feminist, which both parties are now banned from the Con, and he is banned from multiple other game related outlets. He caused a shit storm to a female Magic The Gathering Cosplayer because she was successful which was in his eyes "sexist" and the backlash made her so upset she ended up quitting the game and all affiliation with it which got him banned from all MTG events, but he continues to defend himself do MTG coverage on another channel and doesnt mind taking blow after blow for his behavior and continues doing it. Its really something else and I am unfortunately super aware of it because I am so big on Magic. Whats funny is that his goal is to "Remove all politics from gaming" yet he clearly feeds it as well, i dont think he has any idea what his beliefs really are they are so all over the place but he claims to be in the middle about most things.

Anyway thats why I face palmed so hard when I first saw he made a video, alot of the communities I have been a part of have been torn apart by the current social climate and this forum is honestly a safe place for me that isnt toxic like so many others, makes me sad what alot of things have turned into recently.

11. lail

lail Well-Known Member

Is it really? Could you point me to the source of that information - or are we just assuming that's why it is being removed. And yes, he didn't mention it. Why? Who knows? Maybe he didn't know, since it wasn't mentioned in Kotaku article either and he's lazy to more research?

And yes. I did listen to that part many times, and I still don't get that shot? If being unable to pronounce someones name properly is taking a shot at someone.. I don't know. I guess I will have to remember that eh? No offense, but maybe you're just hearing things on this and seeing his video in overly negative pov, since you clearly don't think very highly of him. To me it just seems a regular opinion/commentary video about current topic based on news article.

12. AnimeGamer183

Nah, I have just seen a few of his videos, its a recurring theme he does. He intentionally mis pronounces things and adds swear words or other things to put down things, for example him saying Shitaku instead of kotaku in that video which is basically how he re invented Toms last name. But there are many other cases of him doing this over other videos so its not just me.

And its not something that has been officially announced, but looking at the track record of Sony after the Omega Labyrinth Z controversy, it seems the underage aspect is whats triggering it but maybe thats just an opinion. Perhaps @Wyrdwad can give us a clearer reason why?

13. Tiamat

Tiamat Member

Lots of talk about character ages but
    - xseed removed the ages like always so they aren't in the game
    - sony hasn't explained what the policy is
    - broken record here but the games have been coming out with this feature for years. Reflexions just came out recently. It's not a legality issue. Esrb gave it an M.

14. Wargamer

Wargamer Member

I still find it funny it's okay to have games about murdering kids and others, hell even movies and documentaries but this is crossing the line. I miss the time when playing GTA would turn anyone into murderers.

15. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

AnimeGamer: I can't say a thing. Not only because I don't know (I barely have any involvement at all with the Senran Kagura games these days), but because I wouldn't really be at liberty to say even if I did know due to NDAs, most likely.

Regarding my last name being mispronounced, I have yet to watch the video (I'm not even sure I want to), but did he pronounce it "lip-shits"? If so, that's actually a very common mispronunciation of my last name, largely on account of the fact that there exists a variant of my last name without the second L that *is* pronounced that way. Heck, there's even been one occurrence of my last name being spelled WITH the second L, yet still officially being pronounced that way -- Fyvush Finkel's character in the mid-2000s drama "Boston Public" was named Harvey Lipschultz, but his last name was pronounced "lip-shits."

...Shout-out to Boston Public, BTW. Great schlocky show. ;)

-Tom

16. lail

lail Well-Known Member

Maybe you are right, but I'd be still willing to say that in this case he is just honestly trying to pronounce Tom's name. I can understand why someone would put swear word or other things to put down things (shitaku/kotaku). I don't see why he would try to put down Tom here since he seems to agree with Tom's statements in this. So I don't think he did intentionally, and it doesn't even sound like that to me. I could be wrong.

17. ddd-kun

ddd-kun New Member

Think you're plowing in an interesting, but ultimately incorrect direction here, friend. While indeed the part where he begins assigning political leanings to his arguments and faceless recipients of his ire is by and large worthless, the rest he was either spot-on about, else merely quoting Kotaku's article word-for-word...to what I'm seeing. I haven't read Kotaku's article (and am surprise they didn't slant like Eurogamer did).

On that lean, however, I'd like to get to the second part of what I think you're in the wrong direction, here. Unless I read the quotes from both Tom and I-forget-his-name-it's-been-a-really-long-day-please-forgive-me correctly, both men(?) suspected the issue was not over age as it was interactivity. Tom even want as far as to say that was the bigger point of suspicion. Let's remember this is a business, for a moment. A business is going to follow letter of law or legal policy to the best of their ability, or typically to the minimum they can apply. That means, for example, if the county you live in isn't allowed to sell alcohol on Sunday, what vendors will do is either apply for the special permits (what bars do), or they'll lock up their freezers on that day (what gas stations do).

Allowing there may be some kind of legal documentation that says depictions of fictional minors in any/all sexual situations are bad (in at least a few states), XSEED as a publisher has already done the minimal work to cover their own bases. Tom speculated age may be a factor (but likely not—I'll get back to this), but the bigger factor was the interactivity. Specifically, the ability for the player to touch, poke, and provoke the girls themselves through controls.

I don't go through this, hilariously enough, to defend or damn the practice. In this case, I'm simply defining the process as I know it to the best of my ability. That's important, because we're talking about businesses. Most businesses don't do anything as foolish as to let personal agendas or scruples interfere with their day-to-day money making activities. They are there, at foundation, to offer a good or service, and the color of money most certainly is not red or blue in this country. This is, in a sense, why I tend to respect XSEED in general and Tom in particular. He regularly and, to my experience, ceaselessly defends the consumer's prerogative to an unblemished, uncut product and their sense of agency in making informed decisions on what they buy and enjoy.l Which is an extremely responsible business practice.

What Sony allegedly—well, no longer an allegation at this point—did was enact decisions on several titles—two we know of immediately (Senran & Omega), one that Kotaku brought up (Super Seducer), and speculated that also Nekopara. All of these titles have one thing in common: touch interactivity from players (through Player-characters or avatar objects) to NPCs or other not!immediate Player Characters). What they don't have in common, is age. Unless, if I'm wrong, Super Seducer was about a high school playboy.

The words are actually kind of important! As Tom can no doubt tell you, he says the wrong thing or misleads his customers, he can get in trouble. This is, btw, exactly why I'm utterly incensed with Eurogamer's writer. Instead of taking Tom's obviously stronger allegation, they instead zeroed in on the lesser one (the underage girls), and composed a hit piece with that information blown to out-of-context proportions. One that sensationalized their audience, needlessly vilifies the fans of the franchise, and draws negative publicity in XSEED's direction. That was a conscious decision on the part of a journalist whose skills regularly require them to manipulate and smith words.

So. Probably not the age thing. Definitions are important. Eurogamer are jerks for their publication, and the Quartering is being a jerk for politicizing this problem.

And I say needlessly politicizing because until Sony personnel actually says this decision was made for agenda or partisan reasons, then I'll grant them that benefit of a doubt.

18. ddd-kun

ddd-kun New Member

And. Uh. I'm sorry for the word salad.

19. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

To be fair, I rather wish no one would've quoted me on that in ANY news article, as there was nothing at all official about that response from me. I was asked if I thought the ages were the issue, and I responded that I did not -- I figured it was more likely the interactivity. The fact is, though, I DON'T ACTUALLY KNOW, nor am I in a position to make any definitive statements on behalf of XSEED.

I keep forgetting, though, that the things I say on public forums such as here and Twitter can be and generally are taken as the gospel of XSEED, and are reported as such by the gaming press.

So, yeah. If anyone from the gaming press is perusing this topic, PLEASE STOP QUOTING ME IN YOUR ARTICLES. I am an outspoken fanboy first and foremost, and nothing I say on here or on my personal Twitter is sanctioned by XSEED, nor is it even necessarily accurate -- I remain out of the loop on a lot of internal issues, partially because they don't apply to me, and partially on purpose because I simply would rather not deal with them. ;) So a lot of what I post about in here is literally just personal opinion and speculation; I am no more informed on the issue than you guys, in most cases.

-Tom

KlausRealta and Fuepepe like this.
  20. JustAnotherNobody

JustAnotherNobody New Member

While regrettable that this has happened. I still have pre-ordered it on amazon. I wish Sony hadn't made up this rule as I see this getting worse before it gets better (and the possibility of them making more dumb rules like this is high.) I am going to go ahead and start going with the "Future" part of the thread title.

So at least some of us have seen Asuka's redesigned character model for 7even. While I think it looks good, it also has me wondering what all else is going to change. Example the game play. Is it possible that they may change the core battle mechanics? Or just further refine the current set up? There is a noticeable difference with how the characters handled in SV to EV. The characters were not as heavy feeling in EV as they were in SV and it is pretty easy to jump out of or guard cancel out of most combos.

I found it pretty easy to do a combo (or a charge attack), guard during said attack's animation, go straight into a taunt, jump out of the taunt and proceed to get a higher hit combo on the enemies in EV. Not so much in BR due to the new timer bar (just letting you know I am playing the JP version so I don't cause confusion.)

So any thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018