Sakuna announced for E3!

Discussion in 'Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin' started by Wyrdwad, May 31, 2017.

1. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Since I haven't personally had a chance to really sink my teeth into this game yet, I figure I'll just share the text of our Facebook post with you all:

We're very excited to announce the first of our E3 2017 lineup - Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin!

This gorgeous game merges side-scrolling action with the complexities of rice cultivation against the mystical backdrop of Japanese mythology. Developed by Edelweiss for PlayStation 4 and Windows PC, attendees at E3 can stop by our booth to play a PS4 demo of Sakuna! The game is scheduled for release in 2018.

For a quick peek, check out the Japanese trailer on YouTube here:

There's another, slightly longer trailer here:

We'll reveal more information as we get it, but in the meantime, anyone who happens to be coming to E3 this year should stop by our booth and check it out! It's genuinely really cool from what I *have* seen so far, and Edelweiss is a really great company to be working with, as they're LUDICROUSLY talented -- anyone who's played their previous title, Astebreed, knows that they've got some serious skills!

-Tom

Omenbringer likes this.
  2. saldite

saldite Most Incrediblest

The music has already got my money alone. Reminds me of Goemon (rip in piece) games.

3. Fuepepe

Fuepepe Active Member

Oh, huh. I did in fact play Astebreed. I suppose I'll keep an eye out for more footage of this.

4. saldite

saldite Most Incrediblest

Hey, Tom, I thought I'd ask just to be certain, but in what vein is this game? Is it a Metroidvania kind of game? Is it just a stage-based arcadey platformer (i.e. Stage 1-1, 1-2, etc.)? More of a less power-up driven adventure platformer? Side-scrolling action-RPG? The trailer makes it look like it has RPG elements.

5. soundersfan84

soundersfan84 Member

Interesting game. I been wondering what xseed has been planning for e3.

6. Wyrdwad

To be honest, my involvement with the game thus far has been fairly minimal (I've been working on something else you'll find out about soon enough!), plus the game is still unfinished, so I'm not 100% certain. I believe it's more of an exploration-based platform adventure game with a hub town that includes rice cultivation, but don't quote me on that, as again, I'm not really sure.

What I've seen has definitely been nonlinear, though, so I'm pretty confident in saying that if it is stage-based, they're not straightforward stages, but more complex affairs.

We've got more up our sleeves, too. ;)

-Tom

Fuepepe and saldite like this.
  7. soundersfan84

soundersfan84 Member

Puns or game announcements ;)

8. Wyrdwad

A little from column A, a little from column B! ;)

-Tom

9. Wargamer

Wargamer Member

I wasn't interested until I saw Astebreed. I thought Playism was the only one to localize those games, does that mean there's a chance you can Touhou Sky Arena Climax or Magical Battle Arena Next?
    So what's with the rice in this game? Do you get anything or it's just for people who can't get to sleep unless they work 20 hours a day and have no access to Job Simulator?

Can't wait for E3 and see if XSEED rumors are true.

10. Tiamat

Tiamat Member

It looks pretty good so I'll keep an eye on it.

11. Fuepepe

Fuepepe Active Member

Which one are you referring to?

12. Wargamer

Wargamer Member

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  13. Wyrdwad

For the sake of preventing disappointment, I think it's fair to at least let you know that no, none of those are games we'll be announcing. We do have at least one surprise up our sleeves for E3, but it does not include any of those three titles.

-Tom

14. Wargamer

Wargamer Member

Well, I just saw the E3 lineup, 2 games for the E3 2016 are back which mean really there's only 3 games
    I mean damn.
    E3 2016
    • Akiba’s Beat
    • The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
    • Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star
    • Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns
    • Corpse Party
    • Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
    • Touhou: Scarlet Curiosity
    • Exile’s End
    E3 2017
    • Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection (PC only, probably locked behind silly DRM)
    • Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
    • Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash
    • Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star (again)
    • Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (again)

What happened?

15. Wyrdwad

Well, first of all, Zwei will be released on Steam and GOG, as far as I'm aware, so it will only have regular Steamworks DRM on Steam, and no DRM at all on GOG. Not sure why you're thinking it'll be "locked behind silly DRM," since we've never really done that with any of our PC titles.

As for the lack of titles compared to last year, it's all a matter of timing. Last year, we were at or near the end of a great many projects, whereas this year, we only have a small handful that are in solid enough states to be shown. There are other games we're working on, but they're not far enough along to be shown at E3.

We just play the cards we're dealt!

-Tom

16. Wargamer

Wargamer Member

Good to know about GoG, I just assumed it was Steam DRM only. Either way I only care about physical console games so I'll skip it.
    I'm also glad to know you're working on stuff not shown at E3, hopefully one of them will interest me.
    I'll also follow the E3 just in case you can sell me on this Rice Field game, would be a nice change of pace after Peach Beach Splash.

17. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

This game looks cool! Super excited to see more on it, definitely looks like a title I'll be picking up from the early look!

18. Gravityrush8

Gravityrush8 New Member

Looks awesome I can't wait to play it.

19. tofl

tofl New Member

I guess Ys VIII would make that list look a little better...

20. Clessy

Clessy Member

Really loving the style and graphics behind this one. If it doesn't come out too near zwei 2 I might pick it up.