Rune Factory 5?

Discussion in 'Rune Factory Series' started by KatieLW19, Dec 9, 2014.

1. KatieLW19

KatieLW19 New Member

So, now that the Rune Factory series has been saved from the brink (despite many fans' fears), can we expect to see a Rune Factory 5 sometime in the near future? I could barely contain my overwhelming joy when Rune Factory 5 was originally announced ( http://www.siliconera.com/2012/08/08/yeah-marvelous-aql-will-make-rune-factory-5/ ) Unfortunately, that was immediately followed by the devastation of the bankruptcy ( http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130107-Rune-Factory-Developer-Declares-Bankruptcy ). Now, I can only cross my fingers, get down on my knees, and beg for the project to be continued. Please, please, please?

2. lancerain

lancerain New Member

i would also like a rune factory 5 game i even have ideas for the game so can you please make rune factory 5 game

3. Tamii

Tamii New Member

I'd kill for a RF 5 ;-; Seriously you guys, this is the best game series ever. And if they decided to make RF 5, I -wish- that they won't change the graphics and gameplay, everything in RF 4 is just flawless and we need a RF 5 that is exactly like it but with a new story/new characters and maybe a few more improvements.

4. Liunna

Liunna New Member

After finishing my first file on RF4, I headed to the internet to find news on RF5, and I was so happy to see that they were working on RF5 - but was crushed a short while later when the bankruptcy was announced. I have since checked for rumours about RF5 wayyyyy too often. I am dying for some news! *hint hint!*

I agree, RF is an insanely amazing series and RF4 is my favourite game on the 3ds - I can even say it is one of my favourite games of all time! It has literally every single thing I like in a game. I am on my third playthrough - after playing rune factory, all other games are just not as good LOL. Seriously, I love everything about RF4.

There will be a rune factory 5, right? It is way too amazing of a series to not be continued!

5. TRR5

TRR5 New Member

I sure hope we hear an announcement soon. There are more and more rumors online and snippets that the game is under discussion at Marvelous, but still nothing concrete. It's certainly going to be hard to top RF4, but XSEED has some amazing talent.

6. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Well, do remember that we didn't MAKE Rune Factory 4 -- we're just the ones who translated it from Japanese to English and published it in North America.

The team that made the game has disbanded, but Marvelous has many other talented teams, so hopefully one of them can resurrect the series and create a new Rune Factory game that serves as a worthy successor to RF4. Until then, though, there's always Return to PopoloCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale, which should at least partially scratch that Rune Factory itch (and is a fantastic game in general!). Check out our general discussion topic on the game for more information:

http://forum.marvelous-usa.com/index.php?showtopic=28308

-Tom

7. Lacosta

Lacosta New Member

The thing about RF4 is that it feels like the most complete game ever release on the 3DS. I have been playing RF4 for 3 years and i'm yet to get bored. RF4 is the first RF game i ever played seems, i hate games that do not give you the option to play as a female, is like saying that girls can't be players, which i find pretty sexist and insulting. In my opinion the fans are clamming RF5 not only for the series, but for the fact that it have everything a gamer have ever dream of in one game. You can cook, forge, fish, create your own potions, armour, weapons, food, with a great selection of recipes to choose from, anything you do is a skill (even sleep) which you can lvl, you can enjoy dungeons and fighting and when you get tired of it you can enjoy the other aspects, as well as chat with the villagers. And the whole village treat each other like a big family, there is none negative in the game all are cheerful and happy in their own very original way. Also you can enjoy romance as well as create a family aspect normally left behind on RPG, which i believe is a let down, is like RPG can't have romance and romance game can't have fighting monsters, is weird. And by having romance i don't mean to have touch of romance between two specific characters, players like the right to choose who to romance. Or like some players in RF4 go for all of the options :rolleyes:.
    But the point is i don't think the itch to get RF5 will be scratched until there is a game equally complete or better than RF4. Don't get me wrong, i'm looking forward to PopoloCrois, but as i have keep reading about the game, i know it lack some aspects that RF4 had.

8. Wyrdwad

Considering your thoughts on romance options and the necessity of female protagonists, Popolo might not scratch that itch quite as thoroughly for you as it did for me. ;) I mentioned this in the other topic on the Popolo board, but PopoloCrois as a series is and always has been a chronicle of the adventures of Prince Pietro Pakapuka of the PopoloCrois Kingdom (or, in some rare cases, his son Pinon). He is the main character -- you don't get to choose anyone else. I don't think this is sexist, personally, as a PopoloCrois game without him or Pinon in the lead would be like a Harry Potter book without Harry Potter at the helm -- that's just what the PopoloCrois series is, and Pietro is such a great character that he's the main reason I play the PopoloCrois games.

But if you're looking to play as a female protagonist, it might not be the game for you.

Additionally, Pietro has a canon girlfriend: the forest witch Narcia. So the "romance" elements in Popolo aren't actually there for the purposes of romance: rather, you're befriending people and trying to make them happy, pretty much just because you're a nice guy.

So if you do play Return to PopoloCrois, please go into it realizing that it's not a sandbox adventure like the Rune Factory or mainline Story of Seasons titles, but rather a more focused story with one specific protagonist who already has an established backstory and personality.

-Tom

9. Lacosta

Lacosta New Member

Yeah, i believe i have watched the series but i was very young so i barely remember, even so i do agree completely that on this case is not sexist, but more like a role play game, seems is based on a series where the protagonist is a boy. I mean the other RF games where you could only play as a boy, also a whole lots of fighting games are play only as a boy, not because they are a series canon protagonist. As for the romance aspect, unfortunately is a common thing, if you try to google "RPG with romance", you will find lots and lots of players looking that in games, but of course the list that have it is very small.
    As for this game i truly want to play it, even if is not sandbox oriented, i remember very little details, but i remember it to be a lovely story the one of Popolocrois, even though when i was a child i truly though Popolocrois the protagonist was link, of course as i grow up i realized it is a completely different story XD But yeah, the itch will still be there, but that doesn't mean that we can't enjoy all the new titles and the futures titles to come. After all trying new and different things is part of beginning to love a series.

10. lancerain

lancerain New Member

i would just love to have a rf5 i have over 20 ideas even some for storyline

11. lancerain

lancerain New Member

i just can't stop thinking about a rf5 game i rely hope it comes out

12. Nyaon

Nyaon New Member

Don't lose hope! This year is Rune Factory's 10th anniversary. Marvelous might possibly announce something.

13. ChaosAzerothCat

ChaosAzerothCat New Member

It's not on you guys, but honestly Popolo looks to not be what I was hoping it'd be. It's not really a replacement for Rune Factory at all, more a kinda similar game. From what I read it's more a different style RPG, and crops don't really mean anything. I was hoping it was the new SoS kind of rune factory, like Rune Factor was under Harvest Moon, yet it doesn't seem to really be all that similar at all.

That being said I remember back when I got RF1 and I said to my husband I doubted it because it was a lot to ask for but I wanted a game for each dragon. Otherwise it wasn't going to be fair to them. So we got that at least. We had 2 non numbered ones, but as I said recently I'm not sure how there could be a rF5 as the numbered ones seemed to be about each dragon in lore, there are no more unless they pulled some light/dark/love dragons out of nowhere after never having mentioned them.

Also bang up job on RF4 localizing btw. That game has a LOT of content, so much I think it kinda spoiled me. x3

14. Wyrdwad

Popolo was a tough game to market, because it is a PopoloCrois game first and foremost -- the Story of Seasons half of the game is definitely just supplemental to what is, at its core, a mainline entry in the PopoloCrois series of JRPGs.

...As a huge fan of PopoloCrois, however (very possibly the biggest fan in the entire English-speaking world), that's why Return to PopoloCrois appealed to me so much, and why it remains -- to this day -- my #1 favorite 3DS game, and the game I'm most proud to have worked on.

For hardcore Bokujo fans, I'm forced to concede that Rune Factory 4 is definitely the better experience... but for me, I'd pick Popolo over RF4 any day of the week. It's not a perfect game by any means, but the characters, the story, and the writing are enough to make me fall in love with it like I've fallen in love with just about everything PopoloCrois lo these many years (even though nothing PopoloCrois is really perfect; it's just perfect TO ME). ;)

I would tentatively urge you to give Popolo a try, however, but do so with the knowledge that you're going to be playing a game where the farming elements are more like a game-wide minigame and a thematic element in what is, at its core, a really sweet, heartfelt, well-told JRPG filled with the most charming cast of characters you can imagine (and writing in which each character, despite his/her young age, manages to actually be smart, figuring things out at the exact same time the player does rather than playing the whole "Hmm, I wonder if...!" game that practically every other JRPG in the world plays!).

-Tom

15. I can definitely vouch for Popolo 3DS - very cute, funny and charming, even if the combat does get pretty tedious and overly easy, even on the highest difficulty. As for RF4, man I loved that game so much, but the one boss battle with the old dude (forget his name), just killed the momentum for me because of his cheap ass special move that covered 99% of the screen - hope they don't repeat nonsense like that if there is ever an RF5!

ChaosAzerothCat likes this.
  16. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Love Rune Factory (yes, particularly 4, which...come on, it was nearly perfect, of course I loved it!), love Story of Seasons, somewhat okay with that Natsume 'Harvest Moon but not Bokujo Monogatari' games...and bought PopoloCrois because it had 'Story of Seasons' stuck onto the title. If you buy it hoping for that, I'd say it's a mistake. I'm sure it's entirely possible to love it to bits even if you go into it hoping for more 'Story of Seasons' than is actually there, but I couldn't get into it at all, unfortunately. So it's definitely not a game I'd suggest picking up if what you want is more Story of Seasons, but rather if you're interested in PopoloCrois itself.

Though I can't get into games with a child protagonist so I was banking way too much on 'Story of Seasons' when I decided to buy it in spite of that, and naturally was unsatisfied with what I got in that case. I'm definitely not saying 'don't buy it', just 'don't buy it if what you're looking for is Rune Factory or Bokumono'. Honestly I felt more like I was playing one of the original Le Petit Prince episodes. Charming, but not to my taste, and worse, not what I thought I'd be getting. (You set yourself up for a fall if you go into a game expecting it to be something other than what it is, ime.)

17. Wyrdwad

No, I completely agree. The Story of Seasons connection is essentially what allowed us to work on Popolo 3DS in the first place (and, really, is likely the reason it was even able to exist), but I feel that was also its downfall in terms of marketing. Proudly including "Story of Seasons" (or, in Japan, "Bokujo Monogatari") in the game's title creates certain expectations that Popolo 3DS simply never could've filled without greatly compromising the PopoloCrois side of things. I applaud Marvelous and Epics for sticking to their guns by keeping the game true to its Popolo roots, but doing so definitely made it a very difficult game to... well, to explain! Especially with PopoloCrois being a largely unknown franchise in the West.

-Tom

ChaosAzerothCat and Kikki like this.
  18. ChaosAzerothCat

ChaosAzerothCat New Member

I feel like that's the crux of the issue, the SoS being displayed so strongly on a game that few if any know about ((even compared to SoS which I'm told is niche)) gives the wrong impression and distracts from what it is. I definitely respect them for not compromising the core of what makes the game what it is, I just wish there had been some way to advertise and show what it is more.

At the end of the day too many people have said this is the replacement ((I think myself included as that's what I was told by multiple people)), yet in the end it's not that this is the replacement for RF so much that there are no more RF games AND there's no replacement. I think the fact that's a bitter pill to swallow makes it harder still to separate. I, personally, found the idea presented to me that this was the replacement not at all unbelievable probably in part due to the disappointment of hearing there'd be another game and then everything falling through. Or so I heard anyway.

I feel like the success and almost cult following of RF4 has really skewed perspective. I feel like unfortunately RF4 is a game that spoiled similar games for many, and the hype for another just as good if not better somehow ruined similar games for many.

Personally RF4 is a game I feel very different about from time to time, not because of anything wrong with it ((aside from trying to beat the last Sharance Maze end me now even with the most gaming the system set up it takes me too long to do)) but because it's so robust and I am most often not.

19. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Honestly, I think if a miracle happens and RF5 DOES come out, people will have it so built up in their heads after pining and pining for it (after how much they loved RF4) that even an actual new Rune Factory game would be a disappointment. I don't think anything could live up to the hype.

That said, if RF5 was ever announced, my heart would leap up to my throat straight away and I'd instantly be scrounging for details. That game just felt so alive. The characters were so rich, and their problems felt real even in that fantasy setting...and that touch of voice acting probably didn't hurt anything, either.

PopoloCrois is cute. It's my own specific hang-ups (I have a VERY narrow field of interest when it comes to gaming, and my list of dislikes that will keep one from resonating with me is as long as my leg) that kept me from getting into it. Most people probably would not be unable to get into a game because the protagonist is a child, but that was my situation. If you're interested in the PopoloCrois part of the game at all, ChaosAzerothCat, it's worth taking a good look at. Just not as a Rune Factory replacement. :)

EDIT: It would be great if they could put some of RF4's features into a Story of Seasons game. Even just the art style, a little like an ink-and-watercolour painting. That touch of voice acting would be my next choice, but all of this is a pipe dream...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  20. Megashell

Megashell New Member

@ XSEED

will you guys revisit Rune Factory it is now 2017

the Switch is out, its a great platform for many sort of games, specially for this studio, I mean we even have a port now for the farm game Stardew Valley, All im saying is its apparently not that hard to develop for the Nintendo Switch.

There are a bunch of fans for Rune Factory - The console is selling out faster then they can produce-
    make the game!

I know some of the admins are mostly assigned to the website/forum but have you heard anything? any rumours going on around office, You guys have the license would be silly to have the license just for the sake of having it, there was obviously a point to your madness, haha

Anyways hope to get some feedback.
    Love you guys