Recent Video Game Purchases

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by VongolaGearX, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Kintoki

Kintoki New Member

The only reason I can think for needing PAL compatibility would be the English release of Terranigma.

2. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

I'm aware, yeah. :3 I just wanted to make it clear that this was not a total region unlock, and it really only works for NA systems. SFCs can be modded to play NA SNES games, but... it's not as simple. Same with PAL system (where you have to physically mod the system AND tinker with the board).

3. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Picked up Wild Arms 2 from Half Price today for $15^^. Good timingu! Came in shortly after a bunch of stuff was traded. The bf picked up Gunstar Superheroes that was in great condition! Then I looked at the back and saw the 'Treasure' label on it. I'm still unfamiliar with a lot of their titles^^

4. Yamasura

Yamasura New Member

I just picked up Tales of the Abyss for the 3ds, got it for $25 used. I like having portable versions of big rpg games.

5. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

What's a good $10-$15 game on PSN? I'm about that much away from getting the $10-credit, so if I get one now it will basically be free.

6. kknd2002

kknd2002 Member

lol, thanks to you, I found out that I accidentally left my PS3 on for at least 24h D:

you bought wizardry? it's a good one for 9.99

7. ShiroiKazeru

ShiroiKazeru Wanderer of Doomed World

Hm...I can't really remember how many games I bought so far this year, but I remember buying these since summer (in no particular order)--

-Fire Emblem: Awakening
    -Shin Megami Tensei IV
    -Gods Eater Burst (hoping we'll get the sequel too, all those trailers for it look stunning ^^)
    -Tales of Xillia
    -Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
    -Project x Zone
    -Pokemon Y
    -Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies (latest purchase)

Too poor to buy anything else for a while except for when Ys Memories in Celceta comes out ^^ Got that one preordered so no way I'm missing that. And I'm pretty sure Trails SC will be my next purchase as far as I know. Unless something pops up in between that time. ^^;

8. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Aside from our own games (which of course get my top recommendation!), I might recommend one of the following:

- Rochard
    Not a very well-known title, and the whole concept of "space truckers" might be a turnoff for a lot of people, but the gameplay in this one is top-notch. It's basically a side-scrolling puzzle platformer with your primary weapon being... well... physics. ;) Never too frustrating, but never too easy either, and it'll last you a good 6-8 hours or so. Overall surprisingly fun, and has a great soundtrack, including what may be my #1 favorite track in any PS3 game to date:
    https://www.youtube....h?v=bsapsOqc7UI

- Spelunker HD
    Ever play Spelunker on the NES? It's kind of crappy, yet also kind of addictive. And it became a meme in Japan due to the ludicrous fragility of its main character -- quite possibly the weakest, most easily-killed hero on the console. Because of the game's memetic status, it got an HD remake for PS3... but damn, what a great remake it is! Instead of recycling the original game's paltry 4 levels, the developers created *100* brand new levels, with all kinds of new obstacles and enemies and puzzles. And they fixed the biggest problem with the original game: you can now turn on "Rope Assist" to avoid falling off of ropes and dying unnecessarily. The actual HD part of Spelunker HD is lame -- I switched back to classic mode almost immediately -- but the game itself is top notch, and makes for a great nostalgia trip.

- Castle of Illusion HD
    Not much to say about this except that it's pretty much a 100% perfect modern update of one of the best games on the Sega Genesis. It's a game that's guaranteed to put a smile on your face and make you feel like a kid again. Toooootally awesome, and it's really a shame Sega's Australia studio was shut down after completing it. :(

- Knytt Underground
    Mentioned earlier in the thread. It's an atmosphere-rich Metroidvania title with easily the largest map I've ever seen in any Metroidvania game ever. There are over 1600 screens to explore. It also features a surprisingly good story with really likable characters, including one of the best-written lesbian characters I've ever seen in any video game. I also admire the game for sticking to its guns -- it got an M rating in North America SOLELY for language, because the characters all swear like sailors and talk about sex freely. Nifflas could've easily toned it down to get a T rating, but nope! No compromising of artistic integrity for him. ;) I still like the previous freeware game in the series better (Knytt Stories), and there are some frustrating platforming moments in Knytt Underground, as well as some minor control issues in the PS3 version -- but fortunately, the game is cross-buy, meaning if you buy it, you get it for both PS3 and Vita.

-Tom

9. tilinelson2

tilinelson2 Active Member

Got many things in the past months, I don't even remember what games. But talking about really recent purchases, Valhalla Knights 3. Another one for my collection of games everybody else hates.

10. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention that both my regular and Kickstarter Class of Heroes 2 came in yezterday :D I opened up the KS because I forvot which was which at the time but oh well :p I open all my games since I value them personally and not as a sell-later-keep-sealed zort of way. I'll prob open the other later too.

11. Kintoki

Kintoki New Member

One of these days I really want to buy a Famicom and the Disk System. I'm not sure I'd actually use them, but I just love the way they look, especially together.

12. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

I was reading this quarterly magazinbe called Retro, or something, and it gave a nice list of Disk System only games. There were a number of nice looking ones, so if you know Japanese already, and the price is not to bad, I would say go for it! :3

13. suashi

suashi Member

Ace Attorney 5, Atelier Ayesha, and RE Code Veronica X HD in the last few days, thanks to saved eshop credits and birthday coupons and Halloween sales. :p

14. AweOfShe

AweOfShe New Member

I can't remember it all, but since I last posted:

August
    Dragon's Crown (Vita)

September
    Japanese 3DS
    Monster Hunter 4
    Sayonara Umihara Kawase
    Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai
    The Wonderful 101

October
    Hakuoki (3DS)
    Etrian Odyssey Untold
    Rune Factory 4
    Pokemon Y
    Ace Attorney 5

15. Yamasura

Yamasura New Member

I imported Tales of Graces day one edition got a sealed copy with free shipping for $94 total, it's the cheapest sealed one i've seen on Ebay, theres one on Ebay now for $242 :eek: but yea i'm happy to get this little boxset, i was disappointed that they didn't release over hee.

16. Dorarnae

Dorarnae New Member

I got Blazblue Chronophantasma(ps3) yesterday and I pre ordered Tokyo New World record-Operation Abyss(psv) and Toushin Toshi(3ds)

17. WilsonCiao

WilsonCiao New Member

Picked up Blazblue: Calamity Trigger about a week ago. Getting both Corpse Party games tomorrow when I grab a PSN card. Also preordered Y's Celceta Anniversary edition solely for the soundtrack CDs. Can't wait till that comes.

18. kknd2002

kknd2002 Member

19. Voliko

Voliko New Member

Some nice pickups there. I've always wanted to try Tear Ring Saga.

20. Yamasura

Yamasura New Member

Nice pickups kknd.