Recent Video Game Purchases

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by VongolaGearX, Oct 26, 2013.

1. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, and I hope XSEED enjoys the sale! :3 10 dollars seems like a steal. I meant to get the game earlier... but... well... I forgot. X3

2. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Hope you like 'em! The first one especially is pretty much "my baby," so I'm always glad to hear of people enjoying it. ;)

-Tom

3. Kintoki

Kintoki New Member

Yay, more Corpse Party sales!

Now I just need Tom to confirm a physical release for Blood Drive with a soundtrack as well put together as the Ys one, and a handwritten Book of Shadows. : p

Edit: And it should all come packaged in a rusty bucket.

4. LeonTekashi

LeonTekashi New Member

*Sigh* Okay, to be honest. Even though Shizukari told me to get Legend of Heroes digitally for my PSP....I want to wait so that I can enjoy that AND Corpse Party on my upcoming PS Vita. =(

5. DustyStarr

Oh, I already bought and played the first back when it was released, if you forgot. X3 I was one of the people who was all grumpy over DD, but I took a chance anyways, and ended up being really glad I did. :3 I loved the heck out of the first one, and I hope the second is as good, even if people tell me it's not. What makes the second one not you "baby" though, Samus?

I'd buy three. X3

6. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Oh geeze, a horror-themed LE for Blood Drive would be great!

7. DustyStarr

It really would. :3

Also, I am just posting because I realized that region unlocking a SNE (and N64 actually) is REALLY easy, so that is another strike against the Retron 5, kinda... I really hope it ends up good though, but either way, it definitely makes SFC games more of a possibility. :3 Is Popful Mail enjoyable with limited Japanese knowledge?

8. Wyrdwad

Oh, it's still my baby, but I wasn't quite as much "on my A-game" during that localization, so I don't feel it turned out quite as well as the first game did. It might just be my imagination, but I feel like I wasn't quiiiiite able to capture the same spirit as I did originally.

I'm still really proud of my work on it, though, and other people seem to think the localization is just as good as the first game's, so... it probably is just my imagination!

I don't think most people are looking to buy a Retron-5 just for its Super Famicom capabilities. It's for the ability to play NES, Famicom, SNES, Super Famicom, Sega Mega Drive/Genesis, Game Boy, GBC and GBA games from any country, all with any combination of NES, SNES and Genesis controllers you want and with upscaling, HDMI output, internal memory, custom controller configurations and save states. It's the whole retro-gaming package, and if it works even half as well as advertised, it's easily going to be one of the greatest gaming systems ever made.

Based on what I've seen of it, it seems to be. You'll need to be able to read enough to know what your next goal is, but as long as you can manage that, you should be fine.

-Tom

9. DustyStarr

For me, the Retron 5 would mostly be an SNES, since I already have an NES, pretty much all the Genesis games I could want on other formats, a GBA (will get an SP and GB Player soon), but what I don't have is an SNES... I am honestly not sure if I even want one, but a number of the games I want are not coming to the VC anytime soon, so I am thinking about it. :3 Someone told me to wait for the Retron 5, which SEEMS nice... but I am just weighing my options. I really do want the Retron 5 to be good either way though.

And, on Popful Mail, thank you. :3 I have time before I make a decision, but still. Having some more Japanese media around to help my reading abilities will be nice.

Oh! And it's nice to know you are still proud of your work on BoS. :3 Obviously I can not comment on it yet, but if it is even close to the original's writing, I think you'll have done an amazing job. :3

10. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

Even though I liked both games localization, I feel like the first game has a warmer approach, while the second one feels a bit sterile.

11. Voliko

Voliko New Member

I don't know, I suspect the games won't look that great with the Retron 5. Maybe I'm crazy for having a super expensive external upscaler just for my oldschool consoles, but I doubt this would be able to reproduce the look of a CRT with RGB like a good upscaler can. Also, isn't the Retron 5 software, emulation based rather than being hardware based? I'm getting bad vibes all around...

12. Kintoki

Kintoki New Member

I'd suggest just looking up some gameplay of Popful Mail on Youtube. Its mostly platforming, so its not too tough to get into without knowing a lot of Japanese. There are some shop menus, but nothing too bad.

13. Wyrdwad

Honestly, I'm OK with no upscaling at all, so even if it turns out to look kinda bad, that's fine. And I think the fact that it's software emulation might actually work in its favor, as hardware emulation has proven to be expensive and bizarrely unreliable over the last decade or so.

I could be wrong, of course... but I'm holding out a lot of hope for this thing. Here's hoping it doesn't disappoint!

-Tom

14. Voliko

Voliko New Member

I think it scales to 720p from what I have read. It also uses some sort of shading? It will definitely look better than just plugging in a SNES into an HDTV I would think. Here's some sort of comparison I found. I don't know what they are trying to say with the image on the right though, maybe it is the SNES picture when plugged directly into an HDTV? Obviously it doesn't look like the right image on a CRT. The left image looks OK I guess, but I'm able to get a much nicer picture.[​IMG]

I think emulation is a plus when it comes to compatibility, but perhaps it comes with the price of not having 100% accuracy. The Retron 5 will probably be good for those not looking for perfection, so definitely not for me :)

15. Kovaelin

Kovaelin Member

I'm thinking of picking up Corpse Party (maybe both?) on PSN. I've already done my impulse buy of the month with Agarest on Steam. It's so very tempting though.

16. DustyStarr

The Retron 5 has a lot of different features that you can tinker with to try and get whatever picture of sound that you want (I say for sound, just leave everything off, the bass boost ruins a lot of game's audio). I have seen videos where you can leave everything off, and... it looks pretty much the same as the original, though without that CRT warmness.

17. dunno001

dunno001 Member

I knew the SNES was easy; I've done a few of them. Is the 64 basically the same procedure? I've not seen too many games that made me look into it, but I can pick them up if it's the same way...

18. Wyrdwad

DOOOOO EEEEEEEET!!!! ;)

-Tom

19. LeonTekashi

LeonTekashi New Member

And my list of games to get, specifically for XSEED, increases. .__.

20. DustyStarr

That is what someone told me, but I am still doing research. However, I should clarify something so people do not get the wrong idea.

For the SNES at least, there is a chip of sorts that acts as a region lock. However, that is only between NTSC and PAL games, and that itself is not too hard to mod, just kinda tedious from what I hear. So, when you perform the quick removal of the plastic tabs, you are letting your NA SNES play SFC games, but not any PAL games. So, it is not a total region unlock.