Recent Video Game Purchases

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by VongolaGearX, Oct 26, 2013.

1. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

Dang, you went into it hard. X3

2. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

MMOs are that type of game. And FFXIV especially is really fun, but also a big time sink.

3. banballow

banballow Well-Known Member

Switch, dragging me into another game that I could have played a couple of years ago, but just never got around to it.
    [​IMG]
    Picked it up yesterday. Bonus, we had a prolonged power outage at work today. If there's a better game to play in pitch darkness, I dunno what it is.

4. DustyStarr

How does it run?

5. banballow

To be fair, I am extremely forgiving with most games. They have to be absolutely, positively, 100% terribad... like Hello Neighbor*... for me to rag on 'em. So far, I would say it runs pretty well. The few online matches I've done have gone off without any noticeable hitches, except for me dying in rather excruciating manners. Could be the game funning me around, could be user error... we may never know. There is something nice about blasting Jason in the face with a flare and watching him just stand there... and then seeing him start to move again, and slowly realizing you were supposed to run away. I've played a couple of the offline Challenges so far, and they're good fun.
    I need to get my Airpods back soon so that I can hook them up and chat (viva la Genki!!).

* Apologies to anybody that likes Hello Neighbor, but I seriously can't stand that game.

6. DustyStarr

I feel the same about Hello Neighbor I don't blame you there. Is there a lot of offline content in Friday the 13th?

7. banballow

Offline Bots: Play as Jason hunting down AI Counselors. Haven't tried this yet, but what I've seen online from other people, the AI isn't exactly to bright. Know what though, if I'm wanting to hunt me some Counselors, I like 'em dumb.

Challenges: I want to say there are 10 Challenges. It sets up a scenario where "kids are planning a good time, Jason kill", then gives you a list of Objectives such as "Kill Counselor X by electrocution" ... "Catch a Counselor in a trap" ... stuff like that. You don't have to do them, but you get more EXP if you do. End of the round you get graded based on number of survivors, whether you were detected, and overall score. You need to pass on at least two of these to unlock the next Challenge.

Sadly, due to licensing issues, they had to stop development on the game. They were working on Uber Jason (from Jason X) and the Grendel (spaceship from... well, Jason X), but it's unlikely it will ever be released now. :(

8. banballow

This is a bad week for my wallet.
    Two imports, Spyro, Final Fantasy VIII... and I just saw Spice and Wolf VR up on the eShop, so it now resides on my Switch.

9. DustyStarr

Spice and Wolf VR, is it an like a salesmen simulator? Also, is it on the English eshop?

This is going to be a bad month for my wallet, I already bought a game I will take a picture of tomorrow that was not on my PLANNED GETS for the month. I also got Mega Man Legacy Collection 1, Transitor, and The Swindle in the current eShop sale, but I have a semi infinite supply of Switch cash so those were not as big of a deal.

10. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

*laughs and cries in all of my game purchases for the month being delayed until October*

11. banballow

Yep. I knew it was coming out Sep 5 in Japan, so I was keeping an eye on it and... BAM!, there it was today.
    I'm not sure how much interaction there is. The description on the eShop says it's a "VR animation". So it might just be like a short anime episode sort of thing. I haven't really done a lot of research into it.
    Still, I have those goggles, and I'm gonna use 'em dagnabbit.

Edit: Worst part this month for me is that I'm buying a Switch Lite. Not even for me. Sort of an early Christmas present for a friend. We're going to Vegas with a few other people in October, so now we'll both have our own Switch for the plane and hotel.

12. DustyStarr

I will be delaying my October purchases to Novemeber and December so I know the feel. :x

And the worst part of next month is not having the Dreamer's edition of Link's Awakening for me. ;~; (Not really but I did want it)

13. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I had a little over $5 in credit on the Switch e-shop, and a game coming up on Sept. 3 with gorgeously colourful graphics was on for $5 regular price, AND 30% off during the pre-order period. So...I bought it. It's called Fin and the Ancient Mystery.

It's listed as an action/adventure/platformer/RPG game. I think it's basically an action-platformer, really, which is NOT my genre. Still...those bright colours were calling to me. Being only a couple of bucks, I couldn't resist. Even though I could not possibly be worse at platformers unless I had a concussion or was blind or something.

Still can't decide if I'll get Astral Chain or not. Maybe if it's available locally. My town has no game stores. Our game store is WALMART. And our location has really terrible selection. So...probably no Astral Chain for me, at least not right now. I don't actually have anything coming up in September, though. But lots in October, so it's just as well.

14. DustyStarr

I am torn on Astral Chain too. :x It looks good, and I want to support the devs since their games never sell well enough, but just so many games coming out.

Also if your wal-Mart DOES HAVE the game, it will be 50, so that is a plus?

15. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I'm in Canada, so if Astral Chain is in stock in my Walmart, it'll be the regular price of $79.99. Definitely no deal there at all. However, my problem isn't the price. It's that I'm unable to stop wavering on whether or not to buy. (I'm still wavering on Fire Emblem: Three Houses! I don't think I'm EVER going to be able to decide on that one, as I find strategy-type combat so tedious that it really wars with the fact that I liked everything else about Fire Emblem, in my limited experience. Love the graphics and know the story will be great...huge pluses. But ugh, the idea of playing through over a hundred hours of a game with strategy-style combat! I think I might rather scrub the toilet.)

Astral Chain has several things I really like. It has MORE things I probably won't like (I'm not crazy about sci-fi, the game's overall appearance, or games that focus on combat). But it looks pretty unique compared to anything else I've played and the bits I do like (investigative work and so on) I like quite a LOT. And the game seems to be a runaway hit, getting top scores from every quarter. Makes me reeeeeally want to try it, even though I'm very likely to not enjoy it. So I can't stop wavering. I'm so cripplingly fussy and narrow in taste that I tend to dislike most of the games I try, except from established favourite series or genres.

The reason it being in stock at my local Walmart would probably tip me to the 'purchase' side is that it is so unlikely to actually be there that if it IS, it'll feel like the stars must have aligned and I should just go ahead and commit to getting it on the spot. :) Like standing fifty feet away from a basketball hoop and saying "If this shot goes in, I'll start my new diet RIGHT NOW!"

16. banballow

Well, my Switch got hangry, so I opted to feed it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... also snagged Final Fantasy VIII on the eShop.

17. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Got a bunch of stuff from PAX and other surrounding game stores. Had fun also getting a bunch of posters and pins from the NISA booth! Sadly at the XSEED booth, I owned everything for sale, and only earned one pin (I was sleep-deprived and sore from all the walking >_>) which I regret not going back and doing the others earlier... (Actually didn't know that they had pins until the end of the day!) Only one on eBay and I'm not paying that :/

18. banballow

Got these in the mail today, courtesy of Idea Factory International...
    [​IMG]
    ... managed to win them in the Twitch stream the other night. Not sure what to do regarding the game, as I plan to pick up the second on Switch, which includes the first. Play now, or wait?
    I do know that the book is going on the plane with me to Vegas next month. Looking for stuff to read.

19. DustyStarr

I've been ordering DS games lately now that my STUDENT LOAN IS COMPLETELY PAID OFF. One arrived, but I will take pictures when the other two do (one's coming from Germany).

Besides that, I forget if I said, since I have not been buying a ton of games recently, but I did get that XBONE along with a combo pack of Rare Replay and Gears of War. I am looking forward to trying out Gears and Halo for the first time, but there is a good chance this machine will be my Fallout machine (but now I can easily record and Stream it which is a huge plus). Got a One S super cheap so I jumped on it. Going to pick up 360 games I missed so I can finally play them now that I have a properly functioning Box again.

I also bought YuGiOh on the Switch out of nostalgia.

@Terro You going to get a picture or list of all your Washington goodies?

20. banballow

Been having a blast with Friday the 13th, so though I would give this a try as well...
    [​IMG]
    ... tried getting a game going, but looks like the servers aren't up just yet.