R.i.p. Jew Wario

Discussion in 'Mostly Harmless (Serious Discussion)' started by Kintoki, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Kintoki

Kintoki New Member

I just read the story on Neogaf. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=758021

I remember first seeing him in that video where he interviewed Tom, and watched quite a bit of his stuff afterwards...so this is really shocking/upsetting to hear...

2. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, I'm still in shock on this one. I posted the following on my Facebook earlier:

Woke up to a gajillion pictures of friends tagging Justin Carmical, a.k.a. JewWario, who apparently took his own life two days ago.

I can't help but wonder what events led up to this. Throughout the video gaming review community, JewWario has always stood out as the happiest, most optimistic person you could ever meet. I just saw him earlier this month at MAGFest, and he seemed on top of the world -- we talked, we laughed... hell, he even hugged me!

I guess we all have demons deep down that we fight in private, and sadly, it seems he lost to his. I'm still flabbergasted that this occurred, and was in such disbelief when I first read about it that I had to do some searching to confirm that it wasn't just a sick, ill-advised publicity stunt or something.

I don't know what you were dealing with that led you to this, my friend, but R.I.P. JewWario. You had an awful lot of friends, supporters, well-wishers and fans in the gaming community and elsewhere, and you will definitely be missed. I hope that whatever led you to this, you're in a better place now. My condolences to your surviving family and all those who were close to you.

I don't have a photo I can share that shows us together, as everyone else has been posting, but this video is the first time I saw you in person, and I loved how we were both so incredibly excited to meet one another -- you because you were such an XSEED fan, and me because I was such a JewWario fan!

http://www.blistered...seed-interview/

-Tom

3. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Wow, how depressing :( His poor wife...

4. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

There's a ton of Let's Players on my Twitter talking about this... from what I read it definitely seems that he touched a lot of hearts... I don't want to dampen this already sad mood, but it just made me sad that he was tweeting normally two days ago... I don't understand why this had to happen... I don't even know who he is, but it makes me feel sad...

Maybe... maybe I'll start watching his videos...

5. Kintoki

Kintoki New Member

That video that Tom posted was where I first saw him. He also had this awesome series called YCPT (You Can Play This) that showed importable games that were manageable for people even without Japanese knowledge. He was part of what influenced me to import the DS version of Umihara Kawase.

6. Amaterasu175

Amaterasu175 New Member

I didn't watch much of his stuff, but may JewWario R.I.P. From what I've seen of him, he seemed like a pretty cool guy. I feel like I should actually watch some of his stuff now.

7. Kintoki

Kintoki New Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiPIiOWe3MU

8. Kintoki

Kintoki New Member

He also had a video in his Pipeline series about Xseed bringing over Senran Kagura Burst.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Urb3cWbn4

I'll miss this guy. He seemed to love what he did, which sometimes seems like a rare trait to internet personalities. I still highly recommend checking his YCPT series though. Maybe, like me, you'll discover something you didn't know about before.

9. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Going to copy from my Facebook again:

Saw this linked, and felt I kind of had to share it too, as it's... I don't know... I guess the video that best sums up why Justin Carmical was an important figure in the video game industry, while also giving an insight into his personality and maybe a clue as to the darkness he must have felt when he did what he did. As someone in the comments pointed out, you don't make a heartfelt statement like this unless it's something you wish someone else would say to you too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tN60yFjO-g

Looking at all the glowing things being said about him today, I can't help but be reminded of the outpouring of emotion from people all across the internet after Mr. Rogers died... and indeed, I think the parallels are warranted, as JewWario seemed very much to be the Mr. Rogers of the video game press. I certainly can't imagine anyone else saying something like this and having it come across quite so... unquestionably sincere.

And just to keep this from being COMPLETELY depressing, I figure I'll also share my absolute favorite JewWario video of all time. This is him in his element, and remains one of the most entertaining videos I've seen from any reviewer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeRVKQN4v0E

-Tom

10. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

I didn't really know him too well beyond the numerous references at NeoGAF in particular, but I'm always disheartened when someone decides to commit suicide. It's a tragedy for everyone involved and the pain lasts - for those left behind - far too long. We'll probably never know what drove him to kill himself but if someone is feeling suicidal for whatever reason, please reach out to a friend or family member. Life can be rough but if you take the easy way out, that scarring for family and friends will never go away and you never know if life might have gotten better had the permanent choice of suicide not been chosen. You may not think no one will care if you go but you'll never know how much you're missed until you're no longer there.

11. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

http://imgur.com/APrmoAe

12. ZetaBladeX13

ZetaBladeX13 New Member

not going to lie, never heard of him until people were talking about it on twitter.

13. jd20dog

jd20dog New Member

ive watched ol jew sence before he joined blistered thumbs
    he was one of my favorite internet personalites
    kinda want to make a tribut series called you can play this too!

as for the coment on msr rogers, ild never been born if he hadnt had my grandfathers back in the korian conflict, he shot down over 50 enamy soldiers in 10mins as the tryed to raid his camp, he was a machine gunner