Q: Is There Any Chance For Sachiko's Game Of Love?

Discussion in 'Corpse Party Series' started by HoleyOne, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

It's back to the style of the original game, and it's on a modern platform, so I think it's a much easier sell.

-Tom

2. BachBreaker

BachBreaker New Member

But is there a slight chance that 2U is localized someday? I don't mean this year, nor the next. I mean someday.

3. Wyrdwad

On PSP, no. Even I am 100% convinced we would lose a ton of money on that, based on the reception we got from Corpse Party vs. Corpse Party: Book of Shadows.

If it were ever ported to a more modern platform or PC, though? Yeah, it's absolutely possible.

-Tom

4. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

Kind of a shame Japanese developers tend to shy away from Steam because 2U seems like it'd be a pretty good fit as far as the casual market goes.

5. BachBreaker

BachBreaker New Member

Ok, Tom, thanks a lot for taking the time to respond. I hope 2U gets into other platforms, it would increase the sales significantly. Fingers crossed for that to happen.

6. ShikouNagakura

ShikouNagakura New Member

The PSP isn't dead. As long as there is something current supporting it (PSP and VITA) then no it isn't. XSeeD wouldn't be localizing if it were true. In Japan even though the PSP has stopped being manufactured there are STILL PSP games being developed. Maybe after the Blood Drive heat is over and done with maybe there is a possibility. I sure would like to support as much Corpse Party as there is overseas.

7. Amaterasu175

Amaterasu175 New Member

Unless you mean a possibility of it getting ported (which, I'm not sure why you would), it's not gonna get released here. I mean, you did read Tom's above post, right? That's the way the cookie crumbles, I'm afraid.

8. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Japan stopped making PSPs. Even though they've been supporting it up until now, that's a telltale sign that it's done there. Pretty much everything now heads to Vita. Be patient and wait for ports. That's what I do. But I'm very patient.

9. darke1024

darke1024 New Member

Just recently there was a Sega Genesis game released; and there are still people making Dreamcast games too. Support! Clearly they are not-dead systems as well!

Just because PSP games are being ported doesn't mean they're necessarily for PSPs: the only PSP games I've got, both Japanese and English, are on my Vita.

There don't seem to be any new PSP games being stocked in physical stores in the west, so the system is effectively dead. Japan will have it on life support for a while longer, since it actually seemed to get decent support there at least among the VN/otome/monster-hunter crowd. But I imagine Sony is wanting to get rid of it's certification/testing labs and such as soon as possible, so when sales of games start dipping I imagine Sony will be hinting that it's not going to be approving any new releases soon.

10. ShikouNagakura

ShikouNagakura New Member

Did you ignore the whole post and just picked out that one sentence? I just said In Japan they are STILL making PSP games to this day.

11. Amaterasu175

Amaterasu175 New Member

And did you ignore her post and focus in on her not agreeing with you? The PSP, at the very least, is on life support, slowly going to death's door, for reasons that have already been explained. And I don't get why you're focusing on Japan, and saying that it's apparently still alive there. You're wanting... what's this game's official name, anyway?! I've seen at least 3 different names for it. I'll just go with the one in the thread's title for now. You're wanting Sachiko's Game of Love to be released on the PSP here, in America (i.e., not Japan), and your argument for why it should be released is because there are still PSP games being released in Japan?

And about XSEED still releasing games on the PSP, I'm not really sure why SC's gonna be on the PSP (although it's probably because FC's on there, and it apparently has a rather nasty cliffhanger, so perhaps if people don't have a working computer, then they'll be able to play SC on the PSP/Vita), but Brandish is a quick localization, so (presumably, this isn't exactly something I know very much about) I would think less money was spent on it, and so breaking even/getting a profit won't be as hard to do, even though it's a PSP game. Plus, people really like their Falcom. In other words those games are bound to get money for them, while Sachiko's Game of Love is pretty much guaranteed to make them lose money. It's a VN, from what I know, so lots of text, and lots of time spent translating. The game would probably be done in 2015, who knows if PSP games will still be coming out then. Plus, Book of Shadows didn't sell well, Sachiko's Game of Love is a spin-off, but... actually, do you need BoS knowledge for Sachiko's Game of Love? Can't say I really know the game too well.

12. Wyrdwad

Yeah, Shikou, while there are still PSP games being made in Japan, I don't suspect they'll continue to be made for much longer now that the system itself is no longer in production, and the western presence of the PSP is virtually nil these days. Being Vita-compatible helps, but there is still a certain prejudice amongst core gamers toward older systems -- whether or not a game is playable on a new system, gamers who aren't in the "hardcore" demographic tend to dismiss it as outdated if it's from the previous generation (though they regard it as retro if it's older than that, which I always found kind of interesting).

2U on PSP simply isn't a viable option for us, unfortunately. Its only hope would be if it were ported to a more modern system, and even then, it's hard to say if we'd be able to convince the higher-ups to let us devote considerable localization resources to a romantic comedy visual novel spin-off of a horror franchise -- that would be a hard sell on any system, I think. ;)

-Tom

13. darke1024

darke1024 New Member

Or even if it's the current generation, I ignored the PSP for it's lifetime under the basis that as an old DOS gamer, I wasn't going to bother with a system with such an insultingly low resolution it can't even do SVGA (heck, it doesn't even have enough dots to do VGA properly). :)
    Well retro tends to be either:
    1) Old and good.
    2) Old and unique.
    3) Old and a lot of people spent their childhood playing them. (I find most Nintendo properties fall into this category. People say how wonderful the Mario series is, but I can't tell the difference between that, Alex Kid, Wonder Boy, and, say Jill of the Jungle (to pick an old PC side-scrolling platformer), it's just that so many more people have played it that the network effect kicks in.)

You're generally not going to have people fondly remember the massive amounts of shovel-ware that gets foisted on a system after all. :)

14. Wyrdwad

I dunno, man, have you played Alex Kidd lately? Mario is definitely leagues ahead of that one, at least. I mean, Enchanted Castle is a game where boss battles are fought by playing paper-scissors-rock! And if you guess the wrong one, YOU DIE. Who thought that was a good idea?! ;)

-Tom

15. darke1024

darke1024 New Member

Clearly someone with an obsession with Janken. :? I'm pretty sure I knew the pattern required to win the boss battles in Miracle World, can't remember if the others had 'easy' patterns.

16. Luphie

Luphie New Member

I'd say to wait until BloodDrive NA release, and if the reception is good and the market for CP getting larger, maybe XSEED can convince 5pb/MAGES to do a port of 2U to Vita or newer console. I mean, we probably won't see another Corpse Party game until Dead Patient release in Japan, which probably will take about 2 years. Localizing the game for NA will take another year. There will be 3 years gap in total from BD to DP. I'd say localizing 2U is good so that the NA market won't die after the long lapse between Blood Drive and Dead patient and taking advantage of the hype gained from BD and shift the attention to 2U, so people can see what the series had to offer. The series will keep its presence in NA market and people get the game, so it's a win-win solution.

Visual novels are always harder to sell in NA, but some VNs proved to be successful enough as long as the demand for it is strong and keeping that is hard when you don't have anything (in this case, a game) to offer, but we do.

17. animeftw999

animeftw999 New Member

any kind souls out there posted english translations of this game? like a summary? hell id settle for reading a manga adapation

18. Luphie

Luphie New Member

You can watch The Anime Man on Youtube. He's currently doing a playthrough of 2U and translates the game to English. His translation is decent, but it's better than nothing. There's also manga adaptation which you can find somewhere on Google, so try browsing around.

19. MasterNemesis

MasterNemesis New Member

So there are multiple things to make clear here.

Firstly it's not XSEEDs job to convice anyone lol
    Both XSEED and MAGES/5pb. have also other things to do.
    MAGES/5pb. don't have any plans right now to port 2U to PSVita.
    Also they already considered porting Blood Drive to other consoles such as PSP.
    That means they don't have any interest in porting 2U for now.

Secondly for how long do you play video games by now ?
    Not to sound mean by that question, a sequel of a game series takes normaly 2 or more years to develope.
    So that time gap is fine.

Thirdly just because some VNs are successful right now
    doesn't mean that 2U will be also sold well.
    So it's rather a risk-win - risk-lose situation ._.

20. Luphie

Luphie New Member

@MasterNemesis: Well, at least they can try. It does not hurt anyone and 5pb/MAGES may take that into consideration, and it's better than saying nothing. Also, support from fans definitely helps. Of course, the decision will be up to 5pb/MAGES. If they don't want to, that's fine. From what I know, a localization company has to contact the developer company if they want a certain game to be localized, and communication between two companies are important.

I also understand that each company has other projects. This is merely a suggestion. Nobody says they HAVE to. I was only expressing my take of the situation as an opportunist and that there is a chance for the game to be localized.

Second, I have been playing games for more than 10 years. Yes, I know game development can take more than 2 years. It's not like they are working on the sequel after BD is released; they must have been working on it for quite a bit of time. Now that DP is entirely made by GrindHouse without 5pb support, it may even take longer to complete. 2U has characters we are (or will be) familiar with. DP, on the other hand, has brand new characters and plot, and might be harder to sell. Localizing 2U after DP is stupid because it will be too late. People will be more interested in the new series more and 2U will be old news by that point. I'm talking about second chance here; if you want to take it, it's good. If not, there's nothing that can be done.

Third, I didn't say that it's totally risk-free. Any game has risks to be brought over, including this one. Like you said, there's no proof that it will sell well, but there is no proof that 2U will not sell well here either, especially if you consider that there were far more niche VNs that somehow managed to come here (like otome or eroge games). Considering 2U is a romantic comedy VNs, it may be harder to sell under normal circumstances. That's why taking the effect of BD and jump on the bandwagon to advertise 2U is important; it's sort of free advertising. Of course, this scenario heavily relies on whether or not BD is successful enough to justify XSEED to bring 2U here, and that is an outcome that has yet to be seen. It'd be great if it will also brings sales of the first two games back, but I won't hold my breath for it to come here either.