Proofing Test

Discussion in 'Mostly Harmless (Serious Discussion)' started by zwabbit, Sep 16, 2018.

1. zwabbit

zwabbit Active Member

I'm not personally interested in the job, have one already, but I am mildly curious as to what you guys use as a proofing test, if for no other reason than to see what skillset XSEED is trying to make sure applicants possess and think is necessary for localization work. I'm also not asking that XSEED post an example of a proofing test (though it would be funny to see the community attempt one collectively to see the result), but would @Wyrdwad or one of the other guys be open to describing in generalities what is tested for?

2. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

We couldn't really do that, as it would give an unfair advantage to those who saw this thread. Part of the test, after all, is going into it and being faced with the unexpected to see how well you deal with it!

I will say, though, that the test was toned down a while back, as I had personally written much of the test we used for a few years, and basically everyone who took it failed. I was... not kind with my challenges. Mwa ha ha. ;)

It's still difficult, but it's a little more forgiving now than it was. Just a smidge!

-Tom

3. zwabbit

zwabbit Active Member

But, if you're no longer using that old test. :D

But either way, a bit surprised that it was that difficult, unless you were testing for technical skills/Japanese language proficiency at a more stringent level than I would have expected based off of the job description. Then again I have very little understanding of what actually goes into localization work, so the basis of my assumptions could easily be way off.

4. Wyrdwad

We're still using parts of the old test! Just not all of it. ;)

And a lot of what was on that old test was to determine overall skill level -- we expected people to fail, but wanted to see HOW they failed, basically. Heheh.

The few times people succeeded, that just meant that they were REALLY good, and generally meant we would hire them for sure.

-Tom

5. zwabbit

zwabbit Active Member

Did anyone without prior industry localization experience ever pass that test?

Even more importantly, does this new posting indicate some sort of expanded workload on XSEED's part because you're doing more/larger games? :D And yes, I know you will almost certainly not answer that second question, but one can always hope.

6. Wyrdwad

My version of the test? I don't think so. The only people who ever passed my version of the test did indeed have prior localization experience, come to think of it. ;)

And no to the second question -- just filling in some holes in our ranks!

-Tom

7. zwabbit

zwabbit Active Member

Soooooo, @Wyrdwad, who is taking over from you as the forum wrangler?

8. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

@Wyrdwad please stay and chat with us in the future!

9. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

Yeah, gotta ask who's gonna mod the forums now that you're departing XSEED.

10. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Oh he's leaving leaving for good?? Am I ever outta the loop :x

11. Ammy175

12. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

I'll do it.

But I did not know he was leaving too... I hope you have a good time teaching in Japan Tom!

13. Ammy175

The world would burn if that happens. :p

14. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

XSEED forums would run red with the blood of my enemies.

But naw I have moderated forums before, I work on the backend of a website for my day job (monitoring and publishing content), and as a journalist I have experience editing other people's content. Plus I'm here all the time anyways so. But I imagine they will want another employee to take the job, which is coo.

15. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member