Popful Mail

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by vanra, Jul 31, 2016.

1. vanra

vanra New Member

Seeing as how XSeed is releasing so many Falcom games, any chance we could get this old gem ported to PC?

2. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Which version?

3. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

I'd love it if we could pull this off -- I've suggested any number of old-school Falcom games in my time here -- but I don't really see how we could unless Falcom decided to do the bulk of the work.

Would really, really love it if they did, though!

-Tom

4. vanra

vanra New Member

The Sega CD version is the one I played way back when, but I'd be happy with any version.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. I miss that game.

5. PasokonDeacon

PasokonDeacon Member

An XSEED/Falcom port of the Sega CD version to Steam/GOG for modern Windows/macOS/Linux can't use Working Designs's localization, and I don't think Falcom's programmers know how or would make the investment to learn how to hack the original ROM for text/English dub insertion. Same goes with PC Engine CD, Super Famicom, and PC-x8 versions of the games using different chip architectures and memory constraints. XSEED would have an easier time licensing an emulator and fan translation work, but that happens rarely for reasons. The most likely option is Falcom remaking Popful Mail a la Brandish: The Dark Revenant (or in a more liberal style) for consoles with XSEED commissioning a PC port, while fan translators work on the originals which still lack translation patches.