Pokemon Discussion

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by Terro, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

That's also pretty easy to do in this game, yeah.

2. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

There's a very good reason they dropped the English-only tagline of "Gotta catch 'em all" years and years ago (generation III, even, when this is VIII).

Normally for pokédex completion rewards you sometimes get tested on by random scientists for items are now just based on having seen something, rather than having owned it at some point.

3. Ammy175

The only actual news here is Gigantimax Snorlax coming to the Wild Area December 4-early January, but RABOOT HAS POCKETS.

I am bad and haven't played through Sword yet, where I picked Scorbunny, so I did not know this.

4. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

So there was a Pokemon Direct this morning. Only two things were discussed, one very briefly. Overall I like what was shown, there is just the same problem with both.

First they briefly showed off Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX, a remake of Red and Blue Rescue Team with new graphics and QoL improvements, which looks nice... but it's $60, when I am pretty sure you can go grab the originals on the Wii U eshop for 10 or less. Same situation as Link's Awakening here, I am sure the game will be nice, but... why the hell is it so expensive? These games were $35 or less when they released (I forget the MSRP for GBA games at the time), so we're paying almost double for shinier graphics. I didn't like that with LA and I don't like it now. I remember Chaosblade talking about how developers need to understand that not every game is worth $60, but I guess because this is Nintendo people will still buy it. ...I am part of that problem too. :x Overall though I like the way the game itself looks.

Second was an expansion pass for Pokemon Sword and Shield, containing two parts, releasing this year. Firstly I do LOVE the new areas, I think both of them look great (and I kind of wish they would release all of the concept art in a book, it's nice), and adding back in 200 Pokemon to the game (which will happen for ALL users, those who do not pay can trade to get them still) is pretty cool news. Once again, my issue is with the price... mostly. Really, a lot of this content should have been included in the main game I feel, because while I enjoyed my time with Sword the game felt BARREN up until the end, and I mostly made my own fun along the ride. But besides that, the expansion pass is $30, half the price of the game! I don't know, there is a part of me that feels a little... miffed at them making such a content light game, charging %50 more for it than previous entries, and then charging %50 more on top of THAT price to fix the lack of content.

I really don't want to be negative because I think both things they showed this morning were cool, and I LOVE the concepts for the new areas in Sword and Shield, and GALARIAN SLOWPOKE (who you can catch right now with a new update), but I can't help but feel like we are being taken for a ride with these pricings. Maybe I'm just a cheap ho though.

Either way with the introduction of some new water types I am looking forward to making a new water team!

5. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

Casting back my SUPER GREAT MEMORY (actually it sucks 99% of the time but I had like a perfect Shawn Spencer flashback with this, go figure), first-party GBA games were mostly $35, though some were $40 (notably: every mainline Pokemon GBA game was $35 at launch except Emerald, which was $40), and DS games were more typically $40. So I think Red Rescue Team would have been $35 while Blue Rescue Team was $40 (this was a cross-generational release with Red on GBA and Blue on DS).

But yeah, it didn't seem that long ago when remakes and remasters cost less than "original" releases as a matter of course, usually in the ballpark of $40 -$50. I can understand selling something like the Resident Evil 2 remake at full price, since that was almost entirely new with every asset rebuilt (and in many cases seemingly redesigned) and the gameplay overhauled rather than merely tweaked. Link's Awakening, given both that it was a remake of a relatively small game (a huge game for the original Game Boy, but dwarfed by typical 2D Zelda standards) and that it was basically a screen-for-screen remake with redone assets and some QOL gameplay tweaks, I think was definitely overpriced. A remake of the original Pokemon Mystery Dungeon I could see being a $50 game easy, depending on what they do for new content (will it include moves and pokemon from more recent generations?), but as a $60 it's almost as hard to swallow as Link's Awakening.

As for the expansion pass... yeah, Pokemon has always had a kinda manipulative business model, with the paired versions (which yes, in the initial design, I have no doubt was done with the good intention of encouraging the trading mechanic, but I'm sure Nintendo/Game Freak are well aware and very happy about the collectors and completionists who tend to buy both versions) and the "director's cut" version (which in recent releases even that has become paired), but even with all of that, just the idea of an expansion pass for Pokemon makes me feel old and bitter. Granted, if this is their alternative to doing a third/sequel version this gen, I don't think it's a bad way to do it. But if they do this and then announce Sharp Sword and Thicc Shield a couple years down the line, that would be a whole gallonfull of nope.

6. DustyStarr

I actually am PRETTY CERTAIN that Blue Rescue Team retailed at $35 because most early DS games did, and they did not start pushing $40 until later, and that practice was started by Square-Enix if I recall. I remember Children of Mana being one of the first $40 DS games I had seen.

But yeah, outside of Capcom Nintendo seems to be the only company that is pricing remakes this way (and in general the pricing shift from 3DS games to Switch games feels a bit hrm, especially when you have a game like Pokemon Sword and Shield that has LESS content then the 3DS games but costs %50 more). It kind of reeks of a sense of arrogance to me, that because it is their games and IPs they can get away with it. Perhaps worse was Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, being sold for 3x the amount hat the Wii U version was still retailing at.

I'm glad I am not the only one who felt old and bitter about the expansion pass for Pokemon. X3 Personally I still wsh they would go back to the B2W2 fromula, because I thought that was the best way to handle it, having it be a third version but also an entirely new game with a new story and new Pokemon and such. Then again it seems like Game Freak is trying to distance themselves away from all of the great ideas in Gen 5 in general, so who knows if that will happen. I am almost certain though there will be a third game of some kind. Honestly again though, the big part of the DLC that bothers me is just the huge price... if it comes with half a game's worth of content, then that is fine, but if not... bluh.

7. Ammy175

Do note that since the DLC is $30 for one version, that makes $60 for both versions, which equates to it being a third version that, if you wish, you can purchase at half off. Not entirely perfect, since it requires the base game to access, but if you already have Sword/Shield, it basically makes it a "new game" at half off.

If a third version comes out (which I personally doubt, since they compared the DLC to the third versions in the Direct), it definitely won't be this year, since the second part of the DLC comes out in "Autumn". Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if there won't be a new main series game this year, but instead the DLC, continuing with my train of logic.

Also, with Rescue Team DX, there's definitely new/different stuff in there. Just from the Direct, stats are different (The starters in the first dungeon had higher HP, at least), and more importantly, Mega Evolution is in there. There was also a playable Lucario, although that shouldn't be taken as a sign that there will be new Pokemon other than it playable, since Lucario was in the original games to begin with (albeit only as a statue).

8. Ammy175

So I've played a bit of the Rescue Team DX demo, and there are definitely some differences. Moves beyond Gen 3, being able to choose your own starter (which also comes with better moves), and other mechanics that I assume were introduced after Explorers of Sky. It's not just a remake with fancier graphics being the only difference like ADG said Link's Awakening was.

9. DustyStarr

Happy to hear they are putting more work into Mystery Dungeon! I am sure I will be picking it up, it seems like a nice place to start the series. and it looks so coot. :3

And while you are probably right about the third version, I don't trust TPC to not try to squeeze their fans for as much as they can. I still don't find this ideal for most consumers though, since being DLC that requires the base game means you can't sell the old version to finance the new... not that this matters as much for people like US, but still, trying to think of the average consumers.

I would be happy if no new main game this year means the (remake I imagine) next year is even better.

10. DustyStarr

Ya'll think Sinnoh or Let's Go Johto is happening first?

11. Ammy175

I don't disagree; I'm just trying to provide a different perspective.

I'd like Sinnoh first, personally, and will hope that that's what'll happen.

12. DustyStarr

Weirdly I think I would be pretty fine with either option, but I am a blatant Johto HO so. X3

13. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

The big thing is no basic attack.
    Which is good as before you'd rely on it instead of using your moves and that wasn't very interesting.
    Though you do get a full complement of moves to start with and also way more ethers and elixirs to compensate.

14. Ammy175

The basic attack was also weak, and if you used only it and no actual moves, you'd earn less experience.

And to add on to the more Ethers/Elixirs, apparently moves can also get more PP if you use them enough or something. Not terribly sure about the details of that mechanic, but I know a little thing popped up briefly talking about that while I went through the demo.

One thing I'd like to add on, too, is that you get some pretty good items for doing the miscellaneous quests in between story events. I have to wonder how much that'll impact difficulty.

15. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

So what you're saying is... you're a Ho-oh?

DustyStarr and Ammy175 like this.