Pokemon Discussion

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by Terro, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

There's so much wrong logic here.

Having the correct Hidden Power type on an appropriate Pokemon definitely doesn't have "no real gain". Very easy example is Electric types using HP Ice to cover their Ground weakness. Speaking of, if you're into competitive Pokemon, you really should know where that NPC is. And if you don't, Google exists!

In addition, you know what else is complicated, requires a bunch of farming to get, requires going to a specific place/person, and affects Pokemon that are one per save file? IVs and natures! Let's get rid of them, too. Heck, if we're getting rid of commonly used moves, why stop at just one? Let's get rid of all of the commonly used ones. But then new commonly used moves will crop up, and we'll have to get rid of them. Eventually, we won't have any moves left, which is fine, cuz if were getting rid of IVs and natures, then we're already getting rid of important aspects to the competitive scene, so why not put it out of its misery, eh?

2. SilentThisSide199x

SilentThisSide199x Well-Known Member

I’m just waiting to see what the competitive matches actually look like.

I’m nostalgic for old improper animations so that is actually better for me here.

No postgame is rip though can we get an F in the chat?

3. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

IVs suck so I would be fine either letting us alter them to our whims or removing them.

If there is no post game AGAIN... uhg.

4. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

There's rarely much of a post-game story on the first go-around.

5. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Since I have never played Pokemon before, I don't know what that means. You have to play twice to get post-game content?

6. Ringwraith

As in the first games in generation typically don't have much post-game story if any at all, particularly if it was a platform jump as well.

7. Ammy175

8. Ammy175

Finishes doing a stream of Shield about an hour ago. Good game so far; definitely looking forward to playing more!

SilentThisSide199x likes this.
  9. SilentThisSide199x

Shield is the kino version it has the ice milf

10. DustyStarr

Ice milf?

11. SilentThisSide199x

Ice gym leader.

12. DustyStarr

I like Maractus.

13. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

In spite of having been a gamer for the last 33 years, this is the first Pokemon game I have ever played. I'm enjoying it :) I can't say whether it is a good Pokemon game or not, since I have nothing to compare it to...but I am enjoying that this is a game about collecting stuff. Looooots of stuff. I love collecting. (In fact, if anyone knows other games that have a big collecting aspect, I'd like to know about them.) Suppose I should have tried this series before, but this is the first time the graphics have appealed to me. The settings are pretty.

Though after a while I get overwhelmed with all the details...I need an X stone to give to O pokemon and then raise it a level to evolve it, and Y stone to give to Z pokemon, oh and gotta trade THIS pokemon to get it to evolve and then get someone to trade ME one back...and this one has to be traded, too, but it has to be holding a ? accessory...

Etc. So I can only play for a few hours at once and then I need a break because there's too much to remember. As a beginner, I actually like that there's only half the pokemon in this, as I feel like there are already too many, lol. (I know a long-time fan would not feel the same way, of course, but that's me.) Though...the battle animations really are severely lackluster. Battling would have been more fun if the animations were more interesting.

My progress is on the slow side. I've just gotten four badges and now plan to go spend a while in the wild zone before moving on to the 5th.

14. DustyStarr

Fishing Resort is an amazing game if you are a fan of collecting. 214 fish to collect (also tackle if you are into that).

Also, I like your thoughts, I can see this being a very good first Pokemon game. I also never really go for a National Dex completion anyways, so Dexit does not bother me too much (maybe one day I will). And you can just turn the animations off entirely if you want to speed the game up.

Sounds like we are playing similar, I am taking a long time because I am stopping and collecting a lot, exploring the wild area trying to get everyone from various routes, such.

Kikki likes this.
  15. Ringwraith

The esoteric evolution methods are definitely more of the exception than the rule.
    Most things evolve via level, or simple stone usage.

16. DustyStarr

Or don't evolve, like MY GIRL Maractus. Though I'm not sure if there are a lot of "big basic" Pokemons or not...

17. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Even though the majority just evolve with level, with 400 pokemon, that still leaves quite a few that have special conditions. And even if it's easy to, say, apply a sun stone to a Vulpix, that also means I have to hunt around and rely on luck until I actually get a sun stone. Or an ice stone (I still haven't gotten an ice stone in the game at all, though I have a second Vulpix waiting on one.)

Then there are the Pokemon that require being traded to evolve. Those are the worst, for me. I know a few people playing this, but I'm still not the type who likes to multiplayer anything. I don't ask for favours irl, either...it's just awkward and not fun, for me, to need to rely on others to play a game, so the stuff I have to trade because it requires it to evolve, or because it's version exclusive...that's all burdensome for me.

OOH I just got a Litwick from a Max Raid battle. I've been wanting one of those but they have special conditions to appear in the wild (fog). EDIT: this is ridiculous and further proof of what I'm saying...that there's too much in the game for me to remember comfortably. I already had a Litwick, and I KNEW I had it, but I couldn't find it anywhere! I looked and looked...and eventually gave up, thinking maybe I accidentally surprise-traded it or something. Turns out I had sent it on a job and then forgotten all about the existence of jobs.

See, this is what I mean. With 400 pokemon to catch, and varying evolution requirements, and varying difficulty to catch so different balls and tactics needed, and varying appearance rates and appearance condition, including weather, time of day, place...it's a LOT to remember. I'm just saying that's why I can only play a few hours a go...I get really exhausted, trying to keep what I want to do in order. :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  18. Ammy175

Just a note: Ice Stone only works on certain kinds of Vulpix. The regular, Fire type ones can't evolve with an Ice Stone.

I'd recommend just focus on the main game first, then worry about catching things for the Pokedex. Pick a few Pokemon you have that pique your interest, and just worry about evolving those for now. Once you beat the game and get more familiar with how the game works, then go ahead and worry about catching other things.

saldite and Kikki like this.
  19. DustyStarr

my team is different every gym you can't stop me

20. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Mine has been, too. I change them to whatever works best against each gym's nature, cuz I like my battling to be as easy as possible. Grass, Fairy and Psychic types seem to be my favourites, usually, but they don't work against everything, so I swap pokemon out all the time.