Pokemon Discussion

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by Terro, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the starters (I think?), but I'd like to say that I remember when Greninja was leaked, I thought it was ugly and fake for sure.

Now I like it.

2. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

I did not like Greninjsa then and I still do not. x3 But I get what you're saying, I might come around too.

3. Ammy175

4. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I've never played Pokemon before. This is the first game that has really tempted me, looks-wise, as I have found all the locations/scenery quite pretty. I have also seen a chart of all known Pokemon who will be in SwSh, and a lot of them were very cute or cool-looking, even in their evolved forms (and normally I think most Pokemon become ugly the more they change from their 'baby' form.)

Still don't know if I'm getting this, but the National Dex thing means nothing to me since I have no attachments to anything from the past, so at least there's that. What I really wonder if there is much of a story to this. I don't think Pokemon is known for being story-driven, or character-driven, either. (That's basically why I've never played it...I'm story-centric.)

5. Ammy175

The newer games have placed more emphasis on the story/character interactions, but at the end of the day, I still wouldn't recommend Pokemon to someone who's looking for a story based game (outside of the Mystery Dungeon spinoffs). It's always been gameplay, first and foremost.

Kikki likes this.
  6. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Yeah, that's what I've always thought. It's about catching and raising Pokemon and using them to fight other Pokemon, and maybe to gain a name for yourself as the best trainer. Any story that happens to be in the game is largely or entirely incidental. I've always felt that it's just not my series. It's so insanely popular that I'm always curious, but hey, there are a LOT of insanely popular game franchises out there that I have no interest in, considering how narrow my field of interest is. It's just that this one happens to be cute, and I normally like the cute stuff (as opposed to violent or dark stuff.) Plus I think it's cool that you can make experimental curries in this one. (I like cooking mechanics in games, for some reason.)

7. DustyStarr

Black and White have decent stories that almost break the mold beyond just being a Pokemon game, so I can recommend them if you are curious for a Pokemon game to play.

Kikki likes this.
  8. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

9. Ammy175

You'd be correct; those are the cut ones.

That bit at the end, though, is killing me: "Apparently, when players are able to import Pokemon in Pokemon Home through past games, they’ll still come with their cut move. However, an early description states that it can’t be used and are recommended to delete it."

10. DustyStarr

WTF some of these are just normal ass moves...

11. DustyStarr

Includes Vespiqueen, no heal order.
    Includes Swoobat, no heart stamp.
    Includes Joltik, no spider web.

Why? :/

12. Ammy175

I mean, Spider Web isn't Joltik's signature move or anything, but yeah, there are a few... bizarre exclusions.

13. DustyStarr

It's not but it's a good move and it is kinda like a great move on it, I find the two kinda synonymous.

I really want to be positive but some things about these games feel a little head-scratching. :/

14. Ammy175

Yeah, definitely. I just have this sinking feeling that they're not gonna be great, but then I remember that people don't like Sun/Moon (Ultra, mostly), but I enjoyed them. Not without their faults, of course, but they were still good.

I just wish Ninty would let Game Freak take their time with the games and not have to push em out every year.

15. DustyStarr

I liked Sun and Moon a lot, and they did have a limited Dex at first, so that part does not bother me, but removing moves (especially some general moves that have been there for a long time) makes the Pokemon who ARE there worse, and that I have a harder time swallowing...

True, a one year break would do wonders. :/ They clearly need more time to get used to console development...

16. cahm

cahm Member

So, X/Y, Sun/Moon and Sw/Sh could be described in a nutshell then as weird, weirder and weirdest.....

hidden power out!? geez, these guys seems to be purposely removing out the fun. The only thing they are missing is to reduce move sets from 4 to 3 or less...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  17. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

It's almost like Hidden Power makes it so you want to farm a very specific random roll of the dice on top of the other random attirbutes of a 'mon, and that value is pretty much hidden so the entire process isn't very fun to actually do.

So I can see why you'd take it out.

18. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

The most frequent complaint I've seen is that they took out 'return'. I don't know any of the attacks, but I saw a lot of people mind-boggled or outraged that that one was gone.

19. Ammy175

Yeah, but Hidden Power is a rather common move in competitive play, so when you factor that in, it's definitely a surprising move that they'd remove it.

And the newer games do have an NPC that say what type Hidden Power will be on any given Pokemon.

Return is a fairly powerful move with no drawbacks other than it not being super effective on anything due to it being a Normal type move. It and Frustration's power are based off of the Pokemon's friendship, which are the only two moves that do something like that as of right now.

20. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it means you have to catch something, then hoof over to where-ever that person is (not always obvious, especially if you're not in the know) and their availability is sometimes restricted. It's just a bunch of added obfuscation for no real gain?

Well, the gain is you can end up with any type move on any 'mon if you farm enough, which errr, kinda plays havoc with the idea of move pools being restricted.

So yeah, makes sense to remove a move that is in pretty much every competitive team, as it rather dampens the variety when it's too good to not use.