Pokemon Discussion

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by Terro, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

As someone who eternally been old and somewhat grumpy, I can say it looks fine. (And I've definitely liked some generations less than others).
    I'm mostly weirded out by the fact this time I am the one experiencing elements of the country I am most familiar with being remixed into a Pokémon game.
    It's very strange, though they got the patchwork countryside thing down.
    They scaled all their models down for X & Y, so they're probably working off the same pokémon models, just scaled down a bit less.
    Mind you, Let's Go was always going to be the baseline for how it looked, although less square than those maps.

2. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

I more mean how angular the environments look. They pack a lot of detail into each area, but it's not astretch to say it might be the least graphicllly impressive first party AAA game, at almost 3 years into the console.

3. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

The environments surprised me and it looks like a set up from Let's Go, but the modeler looks to be the same one since Alola and they're really squeezing out the Kalos Pokemon models... Seeing how Game Freak's games look, I wouldn't call them much of a AAA developer, but they probably earn the money of one.

As for the starter designs... They're probably the worst set. I like Sobble the most (yay, for water starters), but they were all underwhelming. I hope their evolutions look better.

However, seeing all of the buzz on Twitter and Discord about these games makes me interested to get this on launch since I didn't play Ultra Moon until earlier this year and I skipped out on Let's Go completely. It'd be nice to wholly enjoy a Pokemon game again and get into competitive.

4. DustyStarr

Gamefreak has the money of a AAA developer, they just are not exactly competent developers I would say. Their 3DS games were not even that graphically impressive and ran pretty bad, when something like Resident Evil Revelations looks and plays better. Not hatin I love my Pokes, but still, this looks like upscaled Sun and Moon tech, because it is. I will still buy and probably enjoy the games, but I really expected a tad more... like, at least looking like a Generation 8 or even 7 console game.

I like Sobble too (I also love water starters except Froakie), but the little grass monkey looks cute too kinda, he is growing on me.

I am definitely buying and playing them on launch and I am sure I will have fun. I just wish Game Freak would try harder, and that they would not have so many enablers... but I guess I am one since I am buying the game.

5. Ringwraith

The engine they were using was definitely being stretched to its limits, so they certainly got a bit choppy.
    But thing is, graphics are not aesthetics? And I'd hate for them to waste budget chasing some graphical curve when it still looks good?
    Something with Sun & Moon's style but not the limitations they were rubbing up against seems fine.

6. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

7. avensis

avensis New Member

I prefer the style of sword and shield, a little more "cell shading" but I mostly expect to see the content. it is mainly on this point that we distinguish a "good" and a "bad" pokemon.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  8. Ringwraith

Inking with black outlines is almost always an improvement, as it turns out.

9. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

10. Ammy175

11. DustyStarr

The fluffy one is instalock on my team.

12. Ammy175

TFW you see someone legitimately saying they'll probably skip on Sword/Shield because you won't be able to transfer all of your old Pokemon (only whatever's in the Galar Dex).

On the plus side, Yamper and Impidimp.