Pc Games To Console

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by BortSimpson, Jul 25, 2014.

1. ceruleanstars

ceruleanstars New Member

This part I actually can agree with-- I remember in the 80s and for quite some time into the 90s, there were companies that stayed afloat by prioritising quantity over quality and releasing massive quantities of mediocre to bad games, but somehow managed to keep breaking even on them, and everything was physical back then. There was one company I remember in particular, based in the US, whose output seemed to be mostly mediocre/bad movie-based games, and they somehow stayed in business for quite a while. Can't remember the name, but they kept plugging the games in Nintendo Power for a while because their job at bottom line was to sell games, so they had to find "something positive" to say about every game they covered.

But yeah, a lot of companies that actually had a very good output of games have let themselves be bought out for financial reasons, and some came close to it when they tried to go AAA-budget (coughsquareenixcough). Even Hudson eventually got bought out, and they were one of the very, very few companies that ever seemed to "get" Falcom's formulas.

2. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

I believe you're referring to LJN, a company which has been brought into the public eye again in recent years by the Angry Video Game Nerd. They're sort of like his arch-rival, to the point where the final stage in Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures is supposed to be the inside of an LJN cartridge, and the final boss is supposed to be the lead programmer for LJN.

Ever since AVGN started ragging on them, too, other reviewers have begun posting videos examining the good points about their games. There's even one online reviewer who calls himself "The LJN Defender."

-Tom

3. ceruleanstars

ceruleanstars New Member

I think it was LJN, yeah. Funny thing was that as a kid, I actually enjoyed some of their games because I couldn't tell or didn't care, at that age, how much the movie actually resembled the game, and would play just about anything that didn't have horrifically bad play control. I actually had fun playing "Friday the 13th" for a while even though I got hopelessly lost, and I was really proud of myself when I finally beat "Jaws." And I don't think it was an LJN game, but I kept playing the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles NES game for a while even though I continually died on the third level every time.

4. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

I kept dying on the second myself, I was terrible at the underwater navigation. :p

I think we've already demonstrated that you don't represent the 'average' customer (whatever that really means) any more than the rest of us do and that you're living in a bubble of your own if you persist in suggesting XSEED bundle games after Tom has explained why it's not going to happen.

Also, even if you did represent the views of the average customer then: So what? An average customer wanting something they're never going to have isn't going to change XSEED's mind and make them do something unprofitable just because they want it.

5. ThePlayerOfGames

ThePlayerOfGames New Member

To be honest, that's what I'm expecting XSeed to do at this point. What your "old" audience wants doesn't seem to matter at all and it seems like we're getting a Capcom approach of digital/pc shoved down our throats whether we like it or not.

The reason I'm pushing so hard for the PS3 releases is because I'm aware there's a limited lifespan remaining on the PS3. We aren't going to keep getting titles forever. Persona 5 will probably be the last big one I can think of that's not a multi-gen title, ala stuff such as "The Evil Within". If XSeed doesn't release the PS3 versions soon, the likelihood is we aren't going to see them.

And thanks for keeping it classy with all the personal attacks everyone!

6. Wyrdwad

Except for all the physical console games we're releasing, you mean? ;)

I do agree with you that the PS3 has a limited lifespan, though -- and we, too, would really like to release the PS3 versions of the Trails titles a.s.a.p. Unfortunately, we kinda need the license first, or else... you know... we'd get sued for doing that!

If we're successful but it takes too long, the possibility does exist that the games will be released as digital-only titles on PSN. But I think the PS3 has quite a lot of life left in it, honestly -- the adoption rate for PS4 is kind of slow thus far -- so I believe there's still time.

-Tom

7. Theswweet

Theswweet Active Member

I wouldn't say that the adoption rate is "slow" for the PS4; it's already sold 10 million units within it's first year, which is bonkers.

What might be more accurate is that it's had a slow adoption rate for the XSEED demographic, though I don't have any specific evidence to prove that.

8. Wyrdwad

Well... I just meant slow enough that the PS3 ain't dead yet.

It's not really slow by any other standards. And I guess we'll find out how it stacks up to XSEED releases once Akiba's Trip makes its PS4 debut.

-Tom

9. Clessy

Clessy Member

Ionno everything I say is in line with how things are sold in Japan. I dont think im crazy. I mean I think Falcom might know what they're doing with their properties.

10. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

You just happen to have similar views on Origin and party system Ys games to the majority of Japanese fans. That doesn't give you special insight into Falcom's marketing strategies and it doesn't give you special insight into all the relevant factors XSEED has to deal with when it comes to releasing games. If Tom says that releasing multiple games in a bundle would be a licensing nightmare and almost certainly a financial disaster, I'll assume he knows the situation way better than we do and take him at his word.

11. Clessy

Clessy Member

It would be like going back and releasing ps2 games for sale on current systems but with ps2 graphics and no significant changes but asking $60 for them. All companies who do that do some sort of bundled release and a reduced price.

12. BenoitRen

BenoitRen Member

I think the PlayStation 3 still has several years. The Xbox 360 used to be the dominant console. But a little more than two years ago people got tired of it and flocked to the PlayStation 3, which had been getting more attention from developers. Lots of people are still discovering it, and I expect it to sell to people that don't want a PlayStation 4. Because, face it, there are very few exclusive games on the PS4. Unless you really need the definitive versions, you can play most games just as well on your PS3 for less money.

13. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

I'll agree with this. Still stuff coming out in Japan and it's still a very established console worldwide. I'll go far as to say that it'll be around longer than PS2 was after PS3 came out.

14. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

You seem to be missing the point: Tom has said that a bundle release would be a licensing nightmare, would be almost certain to lose money and will. not. be. happening. It really does not matter what analogies you draw or how many appeals you make to what people expect.

Also, I'm fairly certain that if XSEED does manage to bring out the games physically, they will use the power of MATH! to figure out how to price the games. You'll note the price they're charging for FC on PC; it seems to be doing rather well for them.

15. BenoitRen

BenoitRen Member

That's a tall order. The PlayStation 2 was around until January last year, when they stopped production worldwide.

16. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

The PS2 lasted over 13 years. That's basically two generations.

The PS3 is at 8 years, I can't see it lasting 5 more unless Sony can drop the price substantially making it more appealing in developing markets. Next year is probably going to be the last year we see noteworthy niche releases and cross-gen games. Then probably a couple years of sports games and such.

17. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

I'm purely talking about software in the west. Fifa games were being made for it till just a couple years ago.