Pc Games To Console

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by BortSimpson, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

You really didn't listen the first time we said that XSEED did not publish HMH2, did you?

2. Theswweet

Theswweet Active Member

To be fair, it might as well have been, considering XSEED is owned by the company that DID end up publishing it.

But they didn't do the translation, and as far as I know XSEED gets to decide what games they want to localize, more often then not - and the fact that Marvelous owns them just makes it easier to procure licenses for Marvelous titles.

3. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Still, that's like saying that XSEED published the Atlus Online titles. It's still a different sect.

4. Theswweet

Theswweet Active Member

True, I was just putting that out there.

5. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

We had absolutely nothing to do with Half-Minute Hero 1 or 2 on PC. The only game in the series we worked on was HMH1 on PSP, and after less than stellar sales, we elected not to pursue the series further at all. It was our parent company in Japan that published HMH2 -- we never touched it.

And yeah, PlayerOfGames, you're completely ignoring the fact that we're trying as hard as we possibly can to get the license to the PS3 versions of Trails 1 and 2 -- either that or you simply don't believe me, in which case it sounds like there's no point discussing the matter further since your mind is already made up that we're actively abandoning the platform despite having just released a game on it yesterday.

Whether you believe me or not, though, the fact remains that we would *love* to release the Trails games on PS3. It is absolutely NOT by our choosing that we haven't already done so. Believe me if you'd like, or don't... it doesn't change the reality of the situation. I've seen the email chains. I've heard the phone calls. We're trying. We really, really are.

...And yeah, please don't forget that we just released Akiba's Trip physically on PS3 and Vita, and will be releasing Akiba's Trip PS4 and Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus physically later this year (despite the latter game's predecessor being a digital-only release, which sold so well that we were able to justify releasing its sequel physically!).

I really don't know why you're so anti-us, when we're doing as much as humanly possible to support physical gaming. We've also been very communicative, giving you very detailed reasons as to why we can't release certain other titles physically (like our PC games). But to address a few of the things you've stated/asked:

It's not a "one or the other" situation. Console games are great AND SO ARE PC GAMES. Your argument seems to be that we should pick one or the other, but that would be no different than saying, "we're only going to release games on Sony platforms from now on."

We've released games on the vast majority of Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft platforms of the last two generations, as well as PC.

PC is literally just another platform to us. Supporting it is no different than supporting the PS4 -- it's just one more market for us to reach out to. We don't limit our market -- we don't dismiss an entire platform if there are good games to be released on it. And there are good games to be released on PC, just as there are good games to be released on 3DS, Vita, PS3, PS4, etc.

We've been able to handle multi-platform releases all this time, I see no reason we should stop now.

And who would stock it? Inevitably, your answer is going to be "you guys could sell it from your online store." And that's fair enough... but who's going to handle all those shipments? We don't have a dedicated staff for shipping goods -- our executive vice president packs and mails out a lot of those packages himself, in his free time! We don't have the budget to hire a full-time mail staff, nor the room to store boxes of PC games to mail out to people. Nor the means (or budget) to print tens of thousands of physical PC game boxes and manuals.

There's just no way. The majority of our console game sales still come from brick-and-mortar retailers, and since brick-and-mortar stores don't carry niche PC games anymore, WE WOULD LOSE MONEY. It's not even a risk at this point -- it's a guarantee.

PC games have to be digital. There is literally no other way.

Both parts of that sentence are completely wrong. We're clearly not abandoning our console fanbase, since over half of our current releases are on consoles (and physical!)... and the PC fanbase clearly DOES care about Japanese games -- sales numbers have made that abundantly clear. I mean, look at the current Humble Weekly Bundle:

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

All Japanese games (pretty good ones, too!), and 68,000 bundles have been sold so far in under a week's time. 68,000! That number may not mean much to you, but let me tell you, if any of our console games sold 68,000 copies in a week, we would have heart attacks of joy -- that's the kind of number most of our games don't even hit in their LIFETIME sales, much less one week.

PC gamers absolutely, positively do care about Japanese games. And we're perfectly capable of releasing titles on PC *while also* releasing titles on console. We've been doing this successfully for the last 2 years now, and have no intention of stopping.

You are quite literally angry over absolutely nothing. Every one of the things you're angry about is factually false. And if you're going to continue to argue these points, please use actual facts to back up your arguments. If you can't do that... then bow out of this argument, please.

-Tom

6. Theswweet

Theswweet Active Member

I really should be asleep right now, but I felt that I should also mention in regards to the current weekly deal, that not only are there 68k sales overall, but there is also a payment average of over $6 for EVERY platform. That's pretty major for this bundle specifically, because at least 3 of those games you actually could get drm-free copies of for a cent; and I'm sure that there have been people that have done just that.

The fact that there were so many people willing to go above and beyond in regards to paying for this bundle says a lot... it's a key piece of evidence that XSEED and japanese titles in general do have a niche that cares about their continued success on PC. Hell, for the first day one of the top 10 contributors gave the name "XSEEDisAwesome" for their contribution of $50. Trails in the Sky's PC version was on the top of the GOG charts for nearly a week, and in the top 10 sellers for steam for just as long as well. If that's not a dedicated fanbase, I don't know what is.

7. darke1024

darke1024 New Member

I was actually in the middle of replying to you seriously, then I noticed that you appear to have just claimed that the NSA cares about your backup of a DRM free copy of... a computer game; and realised you're simply a troll.

The console you favour is dying; let it go silently into the night, rather then kicking and screaming and dragging an otherwise profitable company who is still producing some content for it, into the grave with it.

8. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

I wish I hadn't seen this topic, because now I feel obligated to respond to this topic but have nothing to say.

Guess I will leave it at this: it seems pretty selfish to say XSEED shouldn't localize Thing because you don't like Thing. I'm not really interested in over half their output but I don't jump into Senran Kagura or Akiba's Trip threads complaining that they should have localized Thing I Want.

Unless Thing I Want is Nayuta, in which case that should have totally been done in favor of [insert non-Falcom game here].

9. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

But but but what if *I* want Thing? Thing is awesome and I wantttt itttt!!

10. Clessy

Clessy Member

To be fair by time you get Kiseki FC and SC done if you ever get the ps3 rights I wouldnt even accept a individual release of them and I think most agree.

It would have to be some dual pack limited edition that was really special. I know you dont have programmers at all but if you did you could save on disk pressing cost as FC/SC ps3 both dont even come close to using the full space of a blu ray. Hell could fit 3rd on there too and still only be around 15gb out of the 50 usable gb of a full disk.

11. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Er, I'm not sure why you'd assume most agree with you on that. I'm pretty sure most would not! Back me up, guys? ;)

We'd never do that. Multi-pack games typically don't make money, and they're licensing nightmares. If we were able to get the PS3 games, they'd either be individual physical + digital releases or, worst case scenario, individual digital-only releases (and before ThePlayerOfGames jumps down my throat for that, let me reiterate that that would be a *worst case scenario*).

-Tom

12. Clessy

Clessy Member

No one the worst case scenario is whats happening right now. They're not confirmed and coming out as we speak.

Also the reason I say bundle them is its really milking hard by time its on ps3. Most of your fans at least own 1 other copy of the game so if they own both thats a triple dip on the same game.

13. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

With you on this one. I certainly wouldn't refuse to buy a PS3 copy of just FC or SC on their own and I suspect most people are in that camp as well. Clessy is just very passive-aggressive about wanting physical releases whether they're reasonable or not.

People have already bought copies of FC on Steam and GoG just to support XSEED, I really don't think they're going to have a problem with triple-dipping.

14. ceruleanstars

ceruleanstars New Member

TBH, I don't usually like to single individual posters out for criticism, but I've... honestly never seen ThePlayerOfGames engage in a thread here in any way except to argue. :\ I'm not sure if you'll get much out of trying to convince him besides just dragging out the thread more, however valid all the counterarguments being made are.

(And yeah, I'd also be fine with individual FC and SC releases, and it probably is the only way a PS3 release could be genuinely lucrative for XSEED. I mean, Square Enix can get away with releasing multi-pack games, but they're Square Enix.)

15. Amaterasu175

Amaterasu175 New Member

Now, I hate to be the jackass that says "I told you guys so", but...

Hell, in his very first post in this thread, he said stuff that's a bit provoking in nature. Plus, he made that one thread that had him being unreasonable and whining about XSEED. It's best to just ignore him, because nothing good will come out of engaging in a debate with him, as you pointed out.

16. Chaosblade77

I dunno, triple dipping is pushing it for me. And I only intend to buy the PC version of SC, not the PSP version.

Can't say I'd be interested in the PS3 versions regardless of how they are released.

17. Cqef

Cqef Member

No problem for triple-dipping for me, since... well, I already triple-dipped (Ghostlight version + US PSN + GoG).
    I wouldn't mind to dip a fourth time, since I'm even planning to get the Japanese PC release eventually, but as for the PS3 release I don't know. I'll need to get a PS3 first :p

18. BenoitRen

BenoitRen Member

That's not true, because the CPUs still support 32-bit instructions.
    Meanwhile, in the present day it'll run like poop. No wonder things have gotten slow since then.
    The emulation is not accurate enough, like a lot of high-level emulators.
    You mean the PC game which is essentially the PSP game in an emulator? Gee, I wonder why...
    Console versions can also be copied.
    This is a relatively recent phenomenon caused by the explosion of video game development budgets. It has nothing to do with physical vs. digital or sales in general.
    Maybe partner with JAST USA/Peach Princess? They're a small company, but still release PC games physically because the loyal fans want them.
    Fixed.

19. Chaosblade77

I did import it actually, and I'm holding out for a menu translation.

Seriously, it took me over 5 minutes to realize I was supposed to check the mailbox at the beginning of the game. I was running all over place trying to figure out how to leave the house. If that took that long, figuring out how to actually do anything else other than hack stuff to pieces would be a mess.

20. Clessy

Clessy Member

I think the biggest issue is everyone hear lives in dream world in their own little bubble and doesnt have the same expectations as just average cust
    Ionno bro I thought nayuta was pretty friggin self explanatory from what i've played.