Pc Games To Console

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by BortSimpson, Jul 25, 2014.

1. BortSimpson

BortSimpson New Member

Would certain releases that are only got pc localizations such as Half minute hero 2 be possible to also come to psp/vita? What about the PS3 version of Trails in the Sky since the pc version is being localized? Maybe even make a port of PC only games like Ys Origin? I'm curious if there's any possibility of these types of games that could do amazingly if released on consoles could ever make it? I've noticed most JRPG fans are on consoles so I always am sad to see when they're pc only and normally end up with a small fanbase. Ys: Celceta I'm sure is doing well, so why not. Falcolm was in a documentary about japaense developers I found which I can't find again, unfortunately. But in it they discussed how once they released some of their games on consoles their company started to actually drum up a sizable fanbase. I really don't see any downside, unless I'm mistaken. So would this ever be seriously considered?

2. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Only if Falcom is willing to do it. Half Minute Hero is not being done by XSEED though, but everything would have to go through Falcom first to be made before XSEED can do anything. Trails FC is already on PSP, so the port HAS been out for a few years. There is still a chance the PS3 may come out one day, but no plans yet. Trails SC is being done for PC as well as PSP (via PSN) so these things already exist. Ys Origins doesn't have a console port in Japan so can't here.

3. JoniCroni

JoniCroni New Member

"I've noticed most JRPG fans are on consoles so I always am sad to see when they're pc only and normally end up with a small fanbase"

Small fanbase? I know you say this because you don't know the market, but PC is right now a huge platform. The same Ys games available both on consoles and PC sold more on PC and the only reason we are getting TitS SC is because of the PC market. In any case, the question would be why aren't we getting PC ports of those console-only games.

Also: Half-Minute Hero bombed on PSP, while it sold enough on PC to get the sequel.

4. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

The PS3 versions might come out eventually but content-wise there's not much point. They look inferior to the PC versions and FC at least has been confirmed to have all the extra content from the later ports. As for ports of other Falcom PC titles to console... you realize you're asking the wrong people, right? That would be up to Falcom and they haven't felt the need to do so. Actually, they're looking at Steam themselves now thanks to the great success XSEED has had with the Ys games.

5. ThePlayerOfGames

ThePlayerOfGames New Member

Pc is a huge platform - but not for JRPGs. The market for those has been, and is, console/handheld.

Why aren't you getting PC ports of JRPGs? Because most PC users dismiss JRPGs as "moe, weeaboo, anime, waifu crap".

They're not exactly an open minded bunch. Quite frankly, the PC market doesn't deserve PC ports of JRPGs.

The fact that Half Minute Hero 2 is PC only is a giant middle finger to people who did support the game.

It's bad enough with XSeed going digital only? But PC too? That would be kicking the people that supported XSeed in the PS2/3 era in the groin after already spitting in their face by going digital only.

6. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

I can say the same thing about console users as well, who aren't all a fan of that and see it as "waifu sim no. 27287436". The PC community sure has been doing well with Trails FC. It's kinda been the no. 1 download all throughout the day today.

7. ThePlayerOfGames

Maybe Halo/COD players on 360 but console users generally? No, not really.

8. darke1024

darke1024 New Member

Have you heard of this thing called RPG Maker? 'Cause it makes "JRPG console style" RPGs, and has been around over a decade (RPG Maker 2000 was released in... 2000). And every other RPG being added to steam lately seems to be made by it. So clearly PC gamers dismiss JRPGs as "moe, weeaboo, anime, waifu crap", while making and buying hundreds of games in that style. (facepalm)
    And this is why I hate being a console gamer sometimes; there's too many people out there wanting the console they play to be a special snowflake with games only available for it.

9. ThePlayerOfGames

Not really any different from PC gamers who complain about console exclusives then cheer about PC exclusives like Wasteland 2 or Star Citizen

I've heard of it, but what are the massive successes that have come out of it? I can't think of any.

10. darke1024

darke1024 New Member

Corpse Party was originally written in it: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Corpse_Party No idea if the latest windows one uses it.

To the Moon is probably the most critically acclaimed release I can remember: http://store.steampo...com/app/206440/

But there's lots of indie games released with it, the Millennium series I believe has 5 games in it so far, so someone's buying it.

Here's a list of games on sale using RPG Maker XP: http://www.desura.co...-maker-xp/games
    RPG Maker VX: http://www.desura.co...-maker-vx/games
    RPG Maker VX Ace: http://www.desura.co...er-vx-ace/games

There's your usual "that looks terrible, why would I buy it?" games in there, but there's a surprising amount of good quality games; and someone seems to be buying them since certain series keep getting sequels. :?

And I wouldn't expect any 'massive successes' out of it then I would expect 'massive successes' out of JRPGs anyway. It's a totally niche genre in comparison to what's popular nowadays with AAA-drama games and CoD-clones being the biggest sellers in the market place. :(

11. ThePlayerOfGames

I can name ten games/series of JRPGs on consoles that have been successful off the top of my head.

I can't think of a single one on PC.

I'm not disputing there are JRPGs on PC, but I think the majority of the audience is still on consoles.

12. Legion1X

Legion1X Member

Good thing that Xseed is currently support bothing then huh! Everybody wins!

13. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

I guess you sure don't browse sites like GAF... Yes, they exist and I have heard of people who say such and they ARE console gamers. Generalizing like that is just stereotyping a whole FPS fanbase, as if those are the only people that may think that. I doubt the majority even know what a "waifu" even is.

14. ThePlayerOfGames

Except the problem is they're supporting consoles less and less.

15. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

It's not so much that they're supporting consoles less and less, as they're supporting PC more and more. XSEED is still publishing many games for consoles. Yes, they've shifted some of their focus to the PC market - but they do that because that's where the money is. And the money is there because people are buying their games - the Ys games on Steam are, by most accounts, XSEED's most successful games ever, and there seems to me to be an indication that Trails in the Sky's launch was incredibly successful (seriously, even though sales were split into three different storefronts, and even though the game has already been on PSN for three years, it was the #1 seller on Steam for at least 12 hours, and now almost 20 hours later, it's still on the Top Sellers list).

People buy XSEED's PC releases. There is most certainly a fanbase there. A fanbase which, it would seem, loves JRPGs and Japanese ARPGs. I can guarantee you that XSEED will continue to support consoles for the foreseeable future - but they will also support their most lucrative market, which is PC.

16. BenoitRen

BenoitRen Member

You mean those Ys games that were released on the PSP, a platform that wasn't particularly successful in the West, and whose games were massively pirated?

17. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Starting this again, are we? How about just stopping while you're ahead?

18. Amaterasu175

Amaterasu175 New Member

He already did in his first post in this thread.

19. ThePlayerOfGames

Right, because there's *no* piracy on the PC.

20. akito666

akito666 New Member

It would be great if XSeed can port PC games to PS Vita or PS3 but I think that's impossible due to license fees.