Only Company To Publish Japanese Pc Titles That Doesnt Suck.

Discussion in 'I <3 XSEED' started by Clessy, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Clessy

Clessy Member

So I recently got a new pc so i've bought a few things on steam sales and what not.

Let me just say you guys spoil me xseed. The hyper neptunia ports are awful. Had to post on the disscussion just to fix the games to even play in full screen. They dont support over 1080p and have the absolute worst damn control configuration possible.

Played Grandia 2 and it has some huge audio issues even tho it said that was addressed in patch number 2. Also doesn't have true widescreen only a mode to stretch to fill the screen.

The final fantasy games have resolution issues too.

Do Japanese companies not understand that we dont wanna play pc games in 720p? I dont wanna run anything in anything other than my screens native resolution.

Also all these games arent nearly as updated as yours. You're the only localization company who knows how to do anything with you pc games.

Granted if only all localization companies had in house programers for all systems. Without in house programmers localizations are never perfect.

2. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

How the hell does this happen?

Can't speak for keyboard controls, but why would you play a console game with a keyboard, anyway?

Even ignoring that, you can change the controls anyway, so what's the problem?

3. Clessy

Clessy Member

Have to configure the .exe then disable display scaling on high DPI settings.

Also why the hell would I play on a PC if I wanted to use a controller? Id just play the vita versions.

4. Ammy175

Yeah, to play in 1080p (for 2, at least). From my experience, fullscreen will work perfectly fine...

5. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Don't quite get this -- the point of playing on a PC over a console, for most people, is the increased screen resolution and framerate. Playing most JRPGs with a keyboard/mouse combo is usually seen as a huge step *down* from playing with a gamepad, as most Japanese games (including PC games) have historically been controller-based.

I mean, I've been playing games on my retro MSX computer system a bunch lately, but never without a controller!

We haven't released a single PC game to date that isn't best-suited to controller play, so if possible, I would highly recommend plugging in a PS4 controller or something when playing our titles.

-Tom

6. Ammy175

Also, BTW, wanna call bull on XSEED's ports being "perfect." When my comp (i5-4690k/GTX 970/8 GB Ram) gets framerate drops while playing TitS (particularly... wherever it is the Sky Bandits hide out, near the end of chapter 1, but even some slight drops in the overworld), there are some serious problems.

Granted, 30 FPS and the right screen resolution fixes the problem (IIRC), but still, I would think I should be able to run an old game like that at 60 FPS.

7. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

We do the best we can! But yeah, we're certainly not perfect. We just try to accommodate as many different configurations as possible, with a success rate that's probably in the 90%s or so.

Getting that number up to 100% will probably never happen, but... hey, we can try! ;)

-Tom

8. Clessy

Clessy Member

Theres tons of hardware configurations and there will always be issues between hardware.

I mean I can run Tits and the ys games on my AMD 1.3ghz at full settings 60fps at the max screen resolution of 1366x768.

I can also run almost every xseed game at 4k on my new laptop with minimal frame drop.

Both of these are integrated setups with no dedicated gpus.

9. GlennMagusHarvey

GlennMagusHarvey New Member

Am I weird in that
    1. the point of playing on PC is that I have a PC but not any other recent game systems (except a Cube), and I will always have a PC with me in some way, shape, or form due to things like lugging a laptop around campus
    2. I actually prefer using keyboard over gamepad for games with controller-like control schemes, and very, very accustomed to ZXCV+arrow keys controls, which I have used for over ten years now (I actually find WASD controls somewhat harder to deal with)

I mean, ZXCV+arrow keys is basically the Windows adaptation of DOS game controls, which were often Ctrl+Alt+arrow keys. And then ZXCV (or more specificaly, ZXCVASDF) + arrow keys provided an easy option for people who wanted to emulate console games.

Of course this probably strongly depends on what sorts of games you play.
    * RTSes and MOBAs have their click-destination-to-move interface and a bunch of hotkeys for the left hand.
    * FPSes have WASD controls with mouse for aiming.
    * for platformers, shmups, and JRPGs, which are traditionally seen as console or arcade offerings, you basically have movement and action buttons, so basically gamepads and gamepad "imitations" using keyboard, which for me basically meant QWEASDZXC + UIOJKLM<> or QWEASDZXC + arrow keys.
    * for fighting games, something that's probably similar to the above, except that it's much harder to do multi-button swipes on keyboard.

Me? I grew up playing mostly platformers and JRPGs. I still play mostly platforms and JRPGs. I've lately started adding some shmups to the mix. Have also played a small smattering of RTS and point-and-click stuff. Plus one FPS in recent years. So I guess it makes sense that I do ZXCV+arrow keys.

Incidentally, ZXCV+arrow keys is basically standard Japanese indie platformer and shmup control scheme too. For western indie platformers, there's apparently a division between ZXCV+arrow keys and WASD + space.

10. Clessy

Clessy Member

theh zxcv + arrows is so me.

However what I'm finding now is most laptops have totally subpar arrow keys so I'm mapping to okl; for movement and zxcv for buttons with asdf for secondary buttons.

I've never had any issues playing with a keyboard and have done it for years on console games as I've played tons of emulators. I personally think using wasd is awkward. Movement should always be with your right hand on a keyboard yet on a controller that would be totally insane.

11. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

I don't remember having any issues with FC, but SC required messing with the settings to get rid of some frequent stuttering.

But yeah, I wouldn't say they are the only Japanese publisher releasing good PC games, but I definitely appreciate the effort XSEED and Sara put into them even if that brings in some new issues. It's a shame how many publishers are unwilling to put the effort into releasing good PC versions, it's not just a matter of placating a picky minority, it can make a difference with word of mouth and dramatically improve the long term sales of a game.

12. Clessy

Clessy Member

Yeah no one wants to play a non definitive version of a game on PC. I mean this is $1200 laptop. If it doesn't run the games I want optimally and we're talking about stuff that's ps2/dc era games then we got a problem. Yes I know its not a gaming pc but its brute strength alone should be enough to run those games.

13. GlennMagusHarvey

GlennMagusHarvey New Member

I'd count XSEED, Carpe Fulgur, and Fruitbat Factory, at least, as localizers that have demonstrated good loc work.