NISA announces Trails of Cold Steel III on PS4 for this Fall.

Discussion in 'The Legend of Heroes Series' started by Cold_Steel_IV, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Cold_Steel_IV

Cold_Steel_IV Member

"When it seems as if peace has finally settled over the empire of Erebonia, the embers of war stir anew just a mere year-and-a-half later in The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III coming exclusively to PlayStation®4 in Fall 2019!"

Source: https://twitter.com/NISAmerica/status/1085899542262894593

EDIT: More information: "NIS America also states that this release will see the return of certain English localization staff that have worked on previous titles in the series. The game supports both English and Japanese voice overs with English and French text options."

Source: https://www.rpgsite.net/news/8185-n...ica-and-europe-in-fall-2019-for-playstation-4

Here is the official English website: http://thelegendofheroes.com/

Here is the trailer:

It seems as though Sean Chiplock is back. Apparently some localization staff who worked on previous Trails games will be returning. Maybe we're making the best out of a bad situation.... There will be a PAX panel from NISA tomorrow regarding the game.

EDIT 2: More info from rpgsite reads: "we were told that players should expect news regarding who will be helming the title's translation, with an emphasis on NISA bringing aboard talent that already has experience with the series, to "help contextualize, translate and localize the title"."

"The release doesn't appear to be rushed at this point, which is as good a sign as any. That being said, we're as much in the dark as anyone else when it comes to the specifics of the translation - so we'll be keeping our eyes peeled for NISA's panel tomorrow for more details."

Also, from thesweet on Twitter: "I've known about the NISA thing for months now. XSEED was offered Cold Steel I/II PS4 after they knew they didn't get CS III, allegedly."

"NISA are "aware" of the Crossbell problem, discussing it with Falcom. Not a confirmation that Crossbell will get translated, but there appears to be some interest in finding a way to bring it over, even if nothing is set in stone."

Source: https://twitter.com/Theswweet/status/1085903588738576391

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  2. Val the Moofia Boss

Val the Moofia Boss New Member

I'm not upset that its NISA.
    I'm happy we're getting CS3.
    I'm surprised that anyone other than XSEED would've gotten it.
    Here's to hoping that they learned after the Ys VIII fiasco. If they botch this, they're PR is going to get eviscerated, so they'll get it right.
    I am disappointed that there won't be a simultaneous Steam port. (Might still be announced later)

Cautiously optimistic for CS3.

3. AdmiralCurtiss

AdmiralCurtiss New Member

I'm legitimately bummed out right now.

4. zwabbit

zwabbit Active Member

At this point, a definite skip. NISA has done nothing to encourage any trust in their project management capabilities. Unless basically their entire middle management was replaced and whatever conditions that imposed critically underfunding of projects got lifted, it doesn't really matter if they retained people that previously worked on the CS series. If the resources they're given is at the same level as that provided for other NISA efforts, not even they'd be able to salvage the effort. It is always possible that NISA might prove me wrong, but the company's habit of cutting and running instead of actually investing further to actually fix the mistakes they make does not inspire any faith or confidence in me.

Cold_Steel_IV likes this.
  5. Erpy

Erpy Active Member

I was initially cautiously optimistic when Ys VIII was announced as a NISA project, not being pleased that XSeed was passed over, but initially wanting to give NISA the benefit of the doubt because I reasoned that if they botched this, they were going to get eviscerated, so surely they'd go out of their way to get it right if for no other reason than to show the skeptics that they were aware of the bar that XSeed set and they were serious about living up to it.

Turned out I gave them way too much credit, so I don't feel like giving them the benefit of the doubt this time. One of the reasons XSeed's Trails localizations were so good was because they gave the localizers whatever time they needed to get it right. One of the reasons Ys VIII was botched was because the team barely got the time to turn out something coherent. Even good translators and editors aren't worth much if they're forced to rush stuff.

6. garion333

garion333 New Member

I wonder if this is what Jessica is working on.

7. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

We'll find out tomorrow, so any speculation on who's working on it will be very short-lived.

8. Dgbowen

Dgbowen Member

This is good news. NISA has a bigger team, so the TL's should be faster and maybe, just maybe we can get crossbell. Xseed is too slow and crossbell was a pipe dream, until today. Hopefully Jess and Hatsuu are already lined up with NISA. The fandom should be happy, not upset.

9. zwabbit

zwabbit Active Member

Considering NISA couldn't even get a decent localization of Ys 8, a much smaller game, out with their "bigger" team (and still haven't actually fixed it), what use was that speed and size again?

10. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

I feel bad for XSEED, they have endured blow after blow after blow the past few months and I think they may be fighting a losing battle at this point, and I am concerned. Also I would wager Falcoms thinking in this move is getting out these games at a faster pace, XSEED did the highest quality of translations, but at what cost to profit and turn around given their lengthy localizations SC2 having a 4 year gap, pc ports etc, I think the business mind set tells the story why Falcom chose to switch publishers.

I will share a few thoughts on this announcement, first NISA has registered thelegendofheroes.com, not just coldsteel3.com or something just illustrating this one game. Feels like a multiple game deal was probably done for LoH series and NISA. Now, "PS4 Exclusive" Oh boy... what is to happen to the PC Trails fans? This HAS to be addressed. And for that matter, what about the fact that 3rd is only available on PC in the west? There are issues through out and I wouldnt doubt if we end up seeing XSEED and NISA tag teaming all the games to get them to the fans, they are technically already doing it. XSEED giving the nudge to NISA with the PS4 ports of Cold Steel I and II, might we see Sky ports on other systems (Ps4, Switch) like I have mentioned before? Also I am not mad at the Collectors Edition either, it looks cool. Just some initial points and thoughts.

I am not sure what to think about this just yet, but I will probably make a follow up video to my last one linked here
    after we get all the news from PAX South this weekend and express my final thoughts on this announcement.

11. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I really don't know how to feel. Glad the game is coming, but...at what cost? At least some of the people who worked on CS I and II will be working on III, but...too many unknowns for me to not be a bit anxious.

I can't even think of what emoji could possibly express the gamut of my emotions here, lol.

12. Dgbowen

Dgbowen Member

I guess this is all POV. Ys VIII was fixed, it's great. PC release was abysmal for a minute, yes; but they fixed it.

I never had any issue with the PS4 or switch versions.

13. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

14. Cqef

Cqef Member

A significant amount of my appreciation for the series lied within the care XSeed put into it. When difficulties showed up like they did several times, they worked themselves to the bone to make it right to deliver a final product to really be proud of. You could even say that XSeed made me appreciative of great localisations as a whole and that no game should deserve any less care.
    With the series changing hands however, you have to win my trust again. But considering the company that is now in charge, their terrible track record and a still very fresh disappointment with how they handled Ys 8, I can't seem to picture how they'd be able to win me back.
    I guess it'll be healthier for me to try to find something else to transfert my emotional involvement in.

nivora and Cold_Steel_IV like this.
  15. Fuepepe

Fuepepe Active Member

If they have Jessica on the project I at least have some hope for it. She did a great job patching up SC after the Carpe Fulgur stuff, not to mention making Tokyo Xanadu EX+ more readable after the rushed Vita release.

16. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

Actually some good news apparently a Lot of the old folks who used to work at Xseed are working on this game now so in a sense we still do have the XSeed magic it just won't be the brand name on the game which is fine things happen.

17. Erpy

Erpy Active Member

Part of the "XSeed magic" came as a result of XSeed being willing to sit on a title until its quality was up to par and delegate extra resources for stuff like extra voice overs in Cold Steel and Turbo mode in the Sky games. If NISA ends up trying to cut corners with the project, no amount of veterans will be able to make a difference since they're not the ones making the budgetting decisions.

18. Cqef

Cqef Member

No, my fear here is what zwabbit mentioned earlier. No matter how good your localisation team is, if the project management still sucks, with cutting corners everywhere, pressing localisation staff like lemons to work faster, reducing necessary QC and QA efforts, all for the sake of releasing games more quickly, then such a statement is just for show, a simple PR move. We'll judge the result when the time comes. Until then, there is absolutely no reason to be optimistic with the outcome, unless you're naive or you don't care about such matters.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  19. Mysterial

Mysterial New Member

PC release of Ys VIII is still busted if you have Windows 7. Certain FX will reliably crash it.

I can't entirely speak to the accuracy of the redone localization but it has a fair amount of typos and grammar mistakes in the text. To be fair, not like XSeed's text was flawless either, but they have a much better track record of fixing what they can, while NISA didn't bother.

Ultimately if they maintain reasonable consistency with past localizations, it's not worth an unfinished story to "boycott" the game, but I'm still not happy about it.

20. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

Honestly tho I'm actually not that sad regarding this news I mean would I wanted Xseed ? sure always but in the end of the day if Xseed didn't want to do it ( from what I been hearing ) then NISA was the only other choice, I mean were really not that great of a situation to begin with especially regarding the fan base these last few months I knew @floofy has been sick of answering people's questions last year.