Niche Gamer Blacklisted By One Pr Allegedly

Discussion in 'Mostly Harmless (Serious Discussion)' started by Dancougar, Jan 30, 2015.

1. omgfloofy

omgfloofy Well-Known Member

Not according to what I've seen on twitter. This has turned into pitchfork party from a number of people on there.

Personally, I think Brandon made a big mistake by posting the article when he did, as he clearly doesn't have enough information outside of a one-sided situation and speculation. This isn't the first time he's done this, but since it's something he appears to have taken personally, there was no common sense behind it, sadly.

The unfortunate thing in this, is that kind of post is enough to shoot himself in the foot, too. I don't know (and don't think) XSEED would pull the trigger in this way, but PR companies would blacklist for stuff like what we've seen in this whole issue. A number of us on twitter had sent him an email he could use to contact someone directly at XSEED, and from looking at the article, I don't think he used the email we provided. In my opinion, he should've waited a little longer to try to get more information first- but now that he's let this blow up like it did instead of trying to work it out quietly, this is going to cause issues for both NG and XSEED. It's a giant can of worms, now.

I also think that the fact that he published the article at the end of the day on a Friday is even worse. Seriously.

2. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Pretty much these here. I wasn't sure how to word it, but I was... surprised that a website would indulge such information to the public with a "what did we do wrong??" before looking into things more. It paints a bad picture for XSEED and could possibly tarnish a relationship.

As you mentioned too, doing it on a Friday is worse. Sometimes it takes a bit to get things together to make an official statement on something, and doing it on the last day of the week leaves a whole weekend of bitterness with people. I've already read plenty of the typical dumb "boycott" comments, without even bothering to look into anything. I do applaud the couple new people that are new to the forum trying to check things out. Everything has been curiosity and looking for answers, without blatant assumptions, freak outs, and blowing up (as we've had some very persistent people like that here in the past...)

Tom's been here and undoubtly would be aware of the topic. He probably does know something, but it might not be in his jurisdiction to make a comment on it, or he's waiting for info before saying anything at all. Maybe he doesn't know. There's so many answers, BUT considering the "trap" debacle, it could also be because he doesn't want any people to blow up from hearing it, after so many talks with him going back and forth on here and GAF.

I'm sure we will hear SOMETHING, especially with a good number of people angry and raging. But it's good with those that are wondering, but keeping civil about it.

3. Dancougar

Dancougar New Member

twitter is knee jerk central in general

4. schobeleth

schobeleth New Member

Hey guys, this is Brandon here, the EIC and founder of NG.

So I got that email Friday morning and I promptly responded. After I got nothing all day (and I've gotten burned waiting for responses from them before), I decided to act and just let my fans know what was going on.

Should I have waited for a response? Maybe. Would that response be anything other than PR speak, deflecting the real issue? Probably. In hindsight I think I should have avoided editorializing the post as much as I did, but I'm sure you all know I care deeply about my site and its content.

As I've said before I've gotten the round around from other devs/pubs/PR companies and I usually just let it go, however, XSEED is a big part of our coverage. We're always on whatever they do, and if I'm unable to do that, I think we have a problem. Dev and PR colleagues of mine confirmed it was essentially a "eff off" message, but some did try to persuade me to not go public.

5. omgfloofy

The problem I have is that multiple people and I had a conversation with you directly on twitter about the email you contacted. I don't really see much that seems to imply that you followed the advice that we gave, especially since you seemed like you kept being routed to the email you got from OnePR.

I still think it wasn't right, because I'm of the opinion that there are many PR groups that would consider that a burned bridge and there would be no chances of getting it back on track afterwards. A commenter that responded to the post said what I thought exactly- it may not have been what you intended, but what you've done has come across as trying to push for public reaction to get a response- and that is most definitely not putting in some faith in a contact. With the several of us speaking to you on twitter on Thursday evening- if you had asked any of us for help, we would've tried what we could do. I have several contacts through Endless History (I've never been on the PR list there), have done work with them in the past. I would've happily helped out.

We just never got a response at all from you or even confirmation on whether or not our suggestions were even taken. I can understand that XSEED is a big part of your coverage, especially because I'm in the same boat with my site- XSEED is pretty much the only English language company I report on since I write on Falcom news.

I personally feel like it was a bad idea. I remembered reading you mentioning that you were going to wait until 'next week' on it, especially because I'm pretty sure from the activity I saw on the XSEED twitter, that they may have had their hands full for the day- especially considering their size. I may be presumptuous on this towards XSEED, but I'm pretty sure it was a really bad idea. Despite your intentions or not, you have basically escalated the GamerGate argument in XSEED's direction, with people on both sides throwing around all sorts of commentary for and against XSEED in it- and whether or not they wanted involvement in the whole fiasco (because, frankly, it is- for both sides of the argument), they are now in it because people on twitter are wildly reactionary and almost always appear to have pitchforks at ready.

6. Dancougar

Dancougar New Member

There is no boycott initiating by pro gg. They are just sending E-mails nothing more. I remember like one idiot individually shouting boycott but he got shouted down by /v/. Thats how unpopular a boycott is. Repeat they are not boycotting just informing, there are probably individual idiots running around shouting boycott but they are clowns with unwarranted self importance no one listens to.

While the anti gg guys are basically bragging going "hahaha your site blacklisted" I doubt many of them buy Xseed to start with.

7. omgfloofy

That's the thing, you're not seeing the stuff I'm seeing on twitter. You can't speak for everyone. You might be only seeing the people who are just 'curious,' but I've seen plenty of people to begin with who are more than 'just curious.' You can't deny that the whole Gamergate issue has been extremely volatile. I stopped tweeting about it because I got harassed over it, too.

But that's the problem, it's extremely volatile, and people on twitter are VERY GOOD at not thinking things through before they hit that 'tweet' button.

8. Dancougar

Dancougar New Member

Good thing twitter isn't all of gg. Its good for spreading information and nothing else really. Even reddit is less stupid but even it has its flaws.

Not to mention we have some idiots who think they speak for everyone. Generalizations are harmful

9. Dancougar

Dancougar New Member

I just now searched xseed and gamergate and don't see much talking about boycotting really. People are waiting for something official.

Anyone talking about a boycott isn't really using the tag and they are idiots anyways as they were called on it from what I saw. It was like one guy?

They don't boycott devs that's why any idiot saying we should gets shouted down.

Been with them for six months I know how it works there are always self important idiots but cooler heads seem to be prevailing here

10. omgfloofy

1) Not everyone is using the hashtag. I'm not going to bother going through three days of tweets on my tweetdeck feed. This is something I've been watching carefully. If I had enough time to kill 2-3 hours, then perhaps I would, but not on a Monday.

2) Yes, they are idiots, but you know how the 'noisy majority' tends to be.

3) XSEED isn't a dev. :p They're a publisher. There's kind of a difference.

4) I've followed Gamergate for the past 6 months, too. While I believe in some of the stuff being toted by it (due to writing on my own website, as well), I think a lot of it is alarmist and reactionary- which this most definitely is. People need to do as Cid would say: sit down and drink their goshdarn tea. ;D If people stopped being alarmist over every little possible problem, and let people speak for themselves instead of using the public demand to FORCE them to speak, then maybe it'll be a little bit better.

Because that's what's happening right now. This public demand is forcing an answer that may or may not answer everyone's questions. And if a 'we can't comment' on this comes out, I am 100% sure that the internet will explode. Because it does when a dev or publisher says something like that. (Look at the whole Catherine fiasco. That's another great example of a website jumping the gun on an answer.)

11. Dancougar

Dancougar New Member

I've seen individuals and not the group jump the gun but when you get ideas people in gg the people who got the ball rolling they know its a horrible idea and they have shouted down anyone trying to push a boycott. /v/ and /gamergate/ were trying to tell people to not jump the gun and remember Xseed isn't exactly PC brigade friendly to begin with. They don't want to boycott. At all they feel like they owe them polite letters simply asking what is up. They want confirmation if nothing else a chance to convince them this was a mistake. They are trying to be as diplomatic as possible and anyone shouting boycott is shouted down by the majority and called a shill. Their opponents want them to boycott, they want them to appear as imposing and want to use it to intimidate . Only stuff about boycotts I saw was from one guy who was moderating a site and people were ravaging him for being stupid and he got his feelings all hurt.

12. schobeleth

schobeleth New Member

I do feel bad for not sitting on it and thinking about it. I do admit that my own personal feelings got into it, somewhat. At this point I'm mostly focused on establishing my site as a brand/company, so I should be wary of these things... at the same time, I really have zero patience for this kind of thing now, you know? I've been called unprofessional by a few people because of it, but I mostly just wanted to show that I'm not taking PR nonsense anymore. If PR companies are professional and are willing to work with me, then great. If not, I want to address it where appropriate.

13. ScumbagSoldier

ScumbagSoldier New Member

Well, I suppose it's pretty telling that my first post is on this. Hi, everybody. How's it going?

Anyways, I just wanted to say that I don't understand why people are against Brandon for doing what he did. In my opinion, it's in his userbase's best interest to know as soon as possible, so they can respond however they feel is approppriate.

That's literally his whole job.

14. Yayifications

Yayifications New Member

This. In fact, he clearly states he tried to resolve this personally for months. Sooner or later, he'd have to (Or at least should) inform the readership of the state of affairs if it meant that the site would have issues covering Xseed games. Now, you may feel it wrong for those likely myself who frequent this site to want to dig into the matter further. (I'd say requesting a bit of clarity is within right, though we're not necessarily entitled to an answer.) Brandon, however, did not do wrong in letting people who got his site know about the situation, though.

15. ScumbagSoldier

I've e-mailed Xseed, and hit them up on twitter.

To any Xseed staff reading this topic, we need an official response as soon as possible.

16. Nonscpo

Nonscpo New Member

Don't worry Brandon, while I agree with most people here that you could have waited a week to see how things went, It's highly unlikely that anybody over at One PR would have done anything differently; considering how you and the site have been treated up onto this point.

P.S. If there are any moderators or staff on duty reading this thread, it's been over 5 days! If you dont want to reply back to every email thats fine, but Xseed as a company does need to make a stament on this, regardless of it being positive or negative.

17. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

They are definitely aware. Already seen another admin who's not normally on the forum come check this place out. I'm sure Tom knows too. But as I said, something is holding them back from saying anything. There definitely has to be some reason behind it, good or bad. Who knows if/when they can even say anything.

18. ScumbagSoldier

I'd imagine they're trying to get coordinated on their response, and fully assess the situation, to determine their response, whatever it may be.

That said, I can't imagine any circumstances that would prevent that from answering. If there are, I'd say the next step is for any Japanese speakers to try to get into contact with Marvelous in regards to the issue.

19. Nonscpo

Nonscpo New Member

To be 100% honest I absolutely want to avoid doing that and strongly discourage anybody from doing that. Calling up Marvelous in Japan Is a sign of bad faith to the folks at Xseed on our part and to a small extent even a bit of imaturity as well. This issue as terrible as it is isn't so bad that it requires getting the folks over at Xseed in hot water with Marvelous. More importantly notifying Marvelous of this issue could also hurt Brandon and Nichegamer, as Publishers in Japan which make up the better part of there coverage will all be aware of the existance of his site. Corporate people in Japan aren't going to care about an injustice, they'll only care that an incident took place; so like I stated it would hurt Nichegamer more than anything else.

20. Dancougar

Dancougar New Member

Yeah avoid that is the best way