New Ys fan site - Digital Emelas

Discussion in 'Ys Series' started by Wyrdwad, May 15, 2017.

1. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Hey guys,

A friend of mine who goes by the name "Limfinite" has been working on an Ys fan site for a very long time now, and he's managed to gather help for site content from a whole bunch of prominent members of the Ys fan community. And somehow, regrettably, he also got some content from me, too. ;) Heheh.

But seriously, he put some real time and effort into this site (and money, contracting a professional photographer to take hi-res pictures of Ys games and merchandise, and even going so far as to create an introductory one-man audio play complete with foley and professional-grade recording!), with the intention of making it a go-to resource for series newcomers -- basically, if someone asks you what Ys is, you can just link them there and be done with it. It's also got a lot of detail on series lore, though, as well as impressions of each game in the series.

If you were curious to check it out, I'd urge you to hit up the Archives link while you're there, wherein you'll find an official interview with me, in which I muse about my time working on various Ys games and maybe even drop a hint or two about XSEED's future with the series.

I also wrote up my thoughts on Ys III for the SNES, since I'm one of the few people out there who really enjoyed it. Heh.

You can check out the site here: http://www.digitalemelas.com

Give it a look-see when you get a chance, and if you have any comments, suggestions, or corrections, be sure to post them here, because Limfinite will likely be checking this topic (and basically everywhere) for feedback, since he's super-nervous about this launch and wants to make sure everything goes OK.

Enjoy!

-Tom

Fuepepe likes this.
  2. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

Site looks good, the interview was also interesting! Glad to see more Ys love, I think it was your die-hard affection towards the series, and hearing you speak your thoughts on it, that pushed me to initially try them out!

3. NesterTheLark

NesterTheLark Member

I found out about this last week when Hardcore Gaming 101 tweeted it. Fansites are a lost art, so it's really cool to see something like this, especially for the Ys series. (And it's way beyond Geocities. ;) )

One thing: the horizontal rules aren't showing up in Microsoft Edge, so some of the headers are slightly overlapping other elements on some pages (such as in the games section).

4. Clessy

Clessy Member

I like the site. It needs more versions covered though.

THe ys3 reviews are great because every person hates every version of the game except the one they're playing lol.

5. Wyrdwad

Ah, I can address that part, I think. Limfinite's goal with the site was to cover every version of any Ys game that's officially available in English. Anything that's not, he doesn't cover, because he doesn't want to hype up things that people won't be able to play without knowledge of another language or without playing it quasi-legally through fan-translation patches.

-Tom

6. NesterTheLark

NesterTheLark Member

I actually like that the site is focused that way. If I were going to make a fan site specifically for English-speaking Western fans, that's how I'd do it. If anyone is interested in the obscure unlocalized versions (some of which are pretty interesting), Hardcore Gaming 101's article has that covered pretty well.

Speaking of which, perhaps the site could use a Links section for pointing visitors towards other resources for further reading.

7. Clessy

Clessy Member

That makes sense and I of course have to trash on you for liking the snes music on ys3 :p

8. PasokonDeacon

PasokonDeacon Member

A Links section would useful. HG101's article is pretty good for specific port details, less so for opinions on the original games. The site's got some unique opinions on what order you should play the games in, as I've seen others point out how doing Ys VI early can also work out well if you're interested in how the games' stories tie back to Eldeen lore. I think the music article needs way more work, and I've messaged Limfinite about doing some articles for the Archives page as such. Overall it's pretty good, and I love the design, but a site this good-looking deserves the best content to match, which makes the factual errors irritating.

9. Leon Tekashi

Leon Tekashi Active Member

Your friend did a pretty good job making this site. A pretty good way help people learn about the series.

10. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

That site is so intense it's actually a little intimidating. I had the intention of trying Ys VIII (no previous experience with Ys). In fact, it is one of the ONLY games I was looking forward to trying in the latter half of 2017. I tend to be all about story, to the point where too much of anything else is an irritation to me, such as if I have to grind for hours to get to a level where I can continue on with the quests that will further the story.

But I had heard it was okay to start with Lacrimosa of Dana so I thought I would give it a go. But now that site made me feel like I should really start earlier if the story is what I am into more than the action (which it is)...but I have no interest in playing seven entire games just to be ready to play the one that caught my eye, which happens to be the latest one. But if the story won't mean anything to me unless I start earlier, then maybe Ys is a series I shouldn't try to get into if I'm not willing to start with an older game? Can I enjoy starting with VIII or will I be lost? The site has lots of great information but it actually made me feel MORE indecisive, lol.

11. Wyrdwad

I don't think there's any reason you can't start with 8 if you want to. The series is overall pretty friendly toward starting midway through, and 8 -- though not the beginning of the story -- takes place nearer the beginning of the timeline than the end, with few ties to any major overarching story elements AFAIK. So I think you're safe!

I'd of course be more inclined to recommend starting with one of the XSEED entries, though. But I might be a little biased there. ;)

(I have always personally felt that Ys: The Oath in Felghana or Ys Seven are perfect starting points for the series, though, and would still highly recommend both games if you wanted to familiarize yourself with what Ys is all about. Ys games aren't usually very long, so you might as well jump in with one of the earlier entries and get a feel for the series in advance, you know?)

-Tom

Kikki likes this.
  12. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Thank you for the input, I'll give that some thought. Lacrimosa of Dana caught my attention solely on the basis that it is brand new and kept popping up on my Amazon page. When I looked into it, seven games to play before I can get to the newest one was asking more than I could deal with, but one or two I can probably do. I also figured seven games was way too much expense, but I found them all on the PS Store when browsing on my Vita and they're all quite affordable. And XSEED is my favourite localization company anyway, so...

I may have misunderstood the recommended timeline for if you are playing for storyline (as opposed to action) but I think the fan site is recommending this order?

1) Omen
    2) Final
    3) Origin
    4) Celceta
    5) Felghana
    6) Nepishtim
    7) Seven
    8) Lacrimosa

And you say Felghana or Seven are good starting points if you don't want to play all of them. I think I've got my head straight now, unless the above is wrong :)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  13. Wyrdwad

I don't fully agree with the recommended order listed on Digital Emelas, TBH, as I think it puts a much greater emphasis on the narrative weight of the series than is necessary. The order recommended there is indeed good if you're one of those people who absolutely insists on never spoiling anything, no matter how small or inconsequential it may be, until you've experienced it for yourself -- but Ys is a series with a very light overarching storyline, designed to be played in almost any order. I equate it to something like Star Trek: The Next Generation, or some other episodic TV show of its ilk. Yes, there is an overarching storyline in Star Trek: The Next Generation, but you can very easily sit down and watch whatever episode they happen to be airing in reruns without too much worry about being spoiled -- the chances of it containing a crucial story element to one of the overarching plot elements is slim, and even if it does, the episode will typically be written in such a way as to introduce the necessary elements to the audience for them to understand what's going on even if they have no prior knowledge of past events.

The only real exceptions to this are:
    • Ys II, which is a direct continuation of Ys I (fortunately, Ys I & II are almost always bundled together because of this)
    • Ys Origin, which is the earliest point in the storyline, but does assume players have some prior knowledge of events from Ys I & II
    • Arguably Ys IV (Memories of Celceta) and Ys VI (Ark of Napishtim), both of which introduce fairly major story events and somewhat heavily reference other games

Aside from those entries, I'd honestly say you're safe starting the series literally anywhere, and you'll feel just as comfortable doing so as if you'd sat down to watch an episode of Star Trek for the first time. ;)

The reason I recommend starting with either Ys: The Oath in Felghana or Ys Seven is because I feel those are the most iconic/representative games in the series (and they also happen to be my two favorites!).

Oath in Felghana is a remake of Ys III, and represents the peak of the series IMHO -- it perfectly blends the classic feel of the older games with the more modern feel of 2000s-era Ys, while also preserving an excellent sense of pacing and a high but rewarding difficulty level (which may be the only sticking point; if you don't like high levels of challenge, you might not want to start with Felghana, as it WILL challenge you quite a bit!).

And Ys Seven is the first game in the more "modern" style of party-based Ys games (the same style used in Ys 8), yet because it's the first of its kind, it manages to preserve a lot of the classic feel as well, blending old and new perfectly. Later games that used this system (including Memories of Celceta and Ys 8) feel a bit more removed from classic Ys IMHO, while Ys Seven still manages to hang onto its roots despite marching in a new direction.

-Tom

Kikki likes this.
  14. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Yeah, there's a pretty loose continuity with Star Trek, except when you get the recurring side characters returning (like Q) and then it's still okay to watch any episode, though it won't be quite the same as if you'd seen them in order. I gotcha. Then it does sound like Seven is a good place to start, for me. (Though the 'bump' system of I & II sounds very interesting...might try it too, later on.) Purchased! Thanks. :)

15. Cryrobinson

Personally cannot recommend I+II enough; the bump system is phenomenal! GREAT portable title as well, I'd say snag the PSP version.

Kikki likes this.
  16. Wyrdwad

The bump system is a lot of fun, and I do love Ys I & II, but I also generally like to warn people that it's kind of an "acquired taste," so to speak. The games are from 1987 and 1988 respectively, and they show their age a bit more than most other Ys games, with some rather obtuse progression and cryptic puzzles that I could easily see frustrating a lot of modern gamers.

If you have old-school sensibilities, though (or at least an appreciation for old-school game design), and if the bump system sounds like fun to you, then Ys I & II are definitely excellent games that I'd highly recommend.

-Tom

17. Cryrobinson

Agreed, definitely have that old feel still with them. The PSP version has the walkthrough for Ys I, which I thought made Ys II much easier to go off (though I tried to consult it as little as possible). Dark Fact is still the most rewarding boss fight I've played I think. Literally had me jumping and shouting in excitement once beat. I recommend for the satisfaction alone!

18. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I'm not usually into stuff that feels 'old school', tbh (even though I started out on games like King's Quest and Quest for Glory on PC and how is THAT for pixellated ugliness? But it shows that my gaming life began around 1986.)...I prefer the shiny new modern graphics in particular...though the bump system does sound interesting as I've never played anything like it. I'm also not used to games that take less than about 50 to 80 hours to play through in detail, lol, so the Ys series definitely seems like a different experience for me. (I'm more used to lengthy-plot games like Xenoblade, Cold Steel, Tales of, etc.) Since it's so inexpensive it might be worth gambling on I & II even if I am well-warned that it might be a bit too retro in overall style for me.

So far Seven is fun, though this big turtle killed me and now I think I should level up before fighting it, ha ha. Still, I like that the combat system is easy to remember how to use...no ridiculous string of button combinations to press that I have no hope of remembering.

I appreciate the input, Wyrdwad and Cryrobinson, it was very helpful; thank you :)

19. Cryrobinson

Honestly, as many people I can get to play a Falcom game the happier I am! :)

I+II feel old, I think the new coat of paint makes them look amazing. In my opinion, 100% worth checking out (plus, yeah they're cheap)!

20. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I have a terrible time deciding on Falcom games. Cold Steel may be my favourite game series ever (and that's in a 31-year-long gaming 'career'!) but I've been unable to get into the 'Sky' games (though I'm still chipping away at the first one to see if I can hit a point where my interest will be kindled since I've heard the story may be even better than the CS I and II plot, and besides, Olivier is funny) and I thought I'd also get Tokyo Xanadu since it reminded me of the CS games a lot (at first I thought it was an XSEED game, too, since they seemed so similar, but it turns out I was wrong) but then I changed my mind when I found out it's in a super-modern setting, which I usually just can't get into. But all of the details revealed recently make me think maybe I should try it after all, lol, and I'm wavering on it again. Like I said: Falcom gives me decision-making headaches. I can never decide on one of their games easily, it seems. But I'm liking Ys Seven so far, so that's plenty for me to be pleased with for today. :)

The fan site was helpful, too.

Cryrobinson likes this.