New Glitch

Discussion in 'Pandora's Tower' started by MicronMagic, Nov 12, 2013.

1. MicronMagic

MicronMagic New Member

I stopped playing Pandora's Tower sometime last year around where the glitch was. I went to start up my save game and it failed. The same way my Xeno Blade save failed to load after being inactive for quite some time.

I have one of the black wii's. I figure this should be documented somewhere.

2. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

This is definitely the first anyone's reported of this problem. Are you sure the issue isn't the Wii itself? If it's happened to you on another game, I think the chances might be strong that it is, unfortunately...

-Tom

3. MicronMagic

MicronMagic New Member

I doubt it's the Wii itself, The Last Story doesn't have this problem and every other save file I've transfered from my old Wii to the new Wii has worked fine. Mind you those save files are several years older than Pandora's Towers and Xeno Blade.

The unreadable save for Xeno Blade is a known glitch so I'm not all that surprised that Pandora's Tower has something similar.

4. Wyrdwad

I would be, considering the two games were developed by different companies entirely -- the only similarity they share is that both were published in Europe by Nintendo and both were lobbied for here by Operation Rainfall. None of the programming staff from either game worked on the other.

Either way, this is definitely not a known issue, and as far as I know, you are the first and only person to report it. Because of this, I don't know that there are many options we can offer you to fix it -- though if you're able, you might consider sending an email to support@xseedgames.com with a description of the issue and your save file attached, and we can at least test it out in-house. If we're able to duplicate the problem, we can then pass the file along to the developers and see if they're able to offer any solutions.

I think that's probably the best we'll be able to do, though. Sorry!

-Tom

5. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

Wasn't Pandora's Tower released this year? Anyway, I've never heard of Xenoblade having save corruption issues or seen it mentioned as a known issue.

I'd say it could be a Wii issue, specifically the NAND going bad/developing problems. Most systems will have bad blocks in the NAND to start with, and sometimes good blocks will turn bad after a while (the traitors!). If a block goes bad that has something like your save file (or worse, key system data) then it will be rendered unreadable if part of the data is stored in that block. Unfortunately there's no way to check that, using homebrew you can test the NAND but it won't help as far as determining if the bad blocks also align with your save files.

6. MicronMagic

MicronMagic New Member

Oh hey you're right, it was released in April. It probably just feels like a year ago.

I have a hard time believing it's the system memory. I bought this wii when Xeno Blade came out because my old wii had laser issues (it reads gc games but not wii games). So It's a pretty new wii. I've played the three rainfall games and ported over my saves of Zelda and No More Heros 2 which I barely even played, and actually didn't resave after playing them. They're more or less nostalgia saves.

So the system memory really hasn't gotten heavy use or even long time use. And the reason I draw the comparison with Xeno Blade and Pandora's Tower is because I feel they're both titles that likely got very little testing done when they got ported over to NA.

While I stopped playing Xeno Blade and started playing The Last Story, yes, there may have been some wear on the system memory, not much though. On the other hand when I played Pandora's Tower I just let the save file sit. and didn't play anything in between the break. The similarity being I stopped playing both games for several months. I haven't played a lot of games on the new Wii but I transfered my Zelda files and No More Heroes files over and they haven't gone corrupt so far.

It's a possibility that the new Wii has a poop system memory. But I'm fairly familiar with flash memory devices going bad. I've had jump drives in the past go a little corrupt and my third party ps2 memory card has finally poop the bed on me this year. But in the case of the ps2 card, you could tell it was taking longer to save and the file I saved wouldn't load immediately. It wasn't all of a sudden the save files didn't load after not using it for quite some time. And the ps2 card had some heavy use, I actually got it second hand.

At the time I had my Xeno Blade problem I found a lot more threads about a problem with corrupt save games.

http://www.gamefaqs....wers?qid=320187

So you're saying the only games that have gone corrupt are the two games I didn't complete and have no backup of? Perhaps the flash memory was corrupt by sitting for too long, but that doesn't explain the other save files sitting along side it that weren't corrupt. Perhaps you're right though, perhaps my new wii just has a bad flash memory drive, or they made it like poop to break on purpose. In any event, I figure my problem with this save file should be documented.

7. Wyrdwad

Well, like I said, if you send your save file to us at support@xseedgames.com, we can try to load it on our end and, if we have similar trouble, pass it along to the dev team. There's no guarantee they'll be able to help fix your save, but they're the only ones capable of doing so, so that's really your best bet.

-Tom

8. Wyrdwad

OK, we got your save file, and we were able to confirm that it's definitely been corrupted in some way. This COULD be the result of a faulty sector in your system memory, but it could certainly also be the result of an unknown bug that's been as-of-yet undiscovered. We're going to pass your save file along to the dev team, but to be honest, after all these months, I don't think there's much chance of them finding a solution -- they still never figured out the cause of the infamous tower 11 and 12 glitch, after all, and this is presumably something much more difficult to diagnose.

Still, we'll do what we can to find a solution for you, and if we hear anything back from the dev team, we'll make sure to keep you updated right away.

I'm truly sorry for any inconvenience you've experienced.

-Tom

9. MicronMagic

MicronMagic New Member

C'est la vie, it's not the first save I've lost in my life, and I'm sure it won't be the last. Thanks for trying at least...

10. HEKTakun

HEKTakun New Member

I found a way to get around this whole mess. So far it has worked 100% of the time. I've read through numerous websites and suggestions, tried them all. None of them worked for me. What I had to do for the game to work took me a LOT of steps. I don't want to get into all of them because it'll take forever. I'll briefly summarize. BTW You should probably make backups of all you're saves along the way. Just in case. My game is an NTSC version, and so is my Wii. I don't know if that makes a difference.

I just beat Truegold Tower watched the cut scene and saved. Went to go into the Dawn/Dusk towers for the first time and was able to load into them fine. messed around, I came out and tried to go back into them the second time where the game would freeze.

1.) Soft modded my Wii. (Don't do this unless you truly know what you are doing. And understand all the risks involved)

2.) Made a backup of my disk. (YOU HAVE TO OWN THE ORIGINAL VERSION OF THE DISK FOR THIS TO WORK. I DON'T KNOW ANY OTHER WAY TO GET A BACK UP OTHER THAN FROM YOUR OWN DISK. DON'T PM ME ABOUT THIS. DON'T POST QUESTIONS ASKING ABOUT IT. FIGURE IT OUT YOUR SELF. TRY GOOGLE)

3.) Installed the latest version of Dolphin Emulator onto my computer. At the time of me writing this the latest version was 3.5-367 (64 bit).

4.) Loaded my backup on my PC using Dolphin Emulator.

5.) Started a new game to create a save file. So I would have a place to copy my Wii game save.

6.) Used an SD card to copy my Game save from my Wii to my Computer.

7.) Using Dolphin Emulator's "Wii save import" option I copied over my Wii game save to my computer.

8.) Restated Dolphin Emulator, and loaded into my copied game data.

9.) Using the emulator, I walked out side and attempted to load the Dawn/Dusk towers. It worked!

10.) After walking into the tower. I used the Quick save, "Save & quit", option in the game's pause menu.

11.) Used Dolphin Emulator's "Export Wii save (Experimental)" option to make a data.bin file.

12.) Deleted my game save from the Wii. And replaced it with the one I made using Dolphin Emulator.

13.) Put the disk in the Wii and loaded the new save file. Started right where I left off in the emulator.

It worked every time no matter what I was doing. If I was holding flesh or not. If I activated a cut scene or not. It didn't matter what I did or didn't do. The game would never freeze using the emulator. The game was slow and laggy using the emulator. So all I would do was walk in and save. The solution is not a permanent. If I left the towers and went back to the Observatory, then I couldn't get the game to load back into the towers again. I would have to used the emulator each time i wanted to reenter the tower. But the problem was only with the Dawn/Dusk towers. Once I beat those two towers, I could get into the next part of the game fine.

P.S. Don't bother PM'ing me with questions. I won't respond. But I'll answer questions here in this thread. Might even update this walk through if I it comes to it.

Some websites I used.
    http://www.wiihacks.com/
    http://www.dolphin-emulator.com/
    http://www.google.com