'New' Bokumono game...a remake of Friends of Mineral Town - Confirmed by Xseed

Discussion in 'Story of Seasons/Bokujo/Popolo' started by Kikki, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

So, some very surprising news today! https://nintendoeverything.com/harv...make-coming-to-nintendo-switch-on-october-17/ But because it's a remake of FoMT, mashed together with MFoMT, does that mean Natsume has dibs on it, or does it being a remake break all old ties and it's more likely to be Xseed?

And if a brand new SoS game is still coming, is it likely to look like this, or does this one look the way it does to pay homage to the original chibi-look of the game? So many questions...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  2. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

It's a weird situation, for sure. My guess is XSEED is gonna publish, but they'll have to do the localization entirely from scratch.

Kikki likes this.
  3. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Yes indeedy, it'd have to be from scratch, but if this is really two games mushed together, it'd probably be nearly all new stuff anyway. But even graphically, this situation is a bit confusing. I mean, this game is being made by Marvelous, but to me it LOOKS a bit like one of Natsume's own games. It looks more like Light of Hope, for example, than it does like Trio of Towns. (I feel like Light of Hope looks rather like a mobile game, and that this remake has a similar sort of vibe, which SoS games have not had.) Even after all these years, the fandom is still confused, too...no matter who localizes this one, it's going to be quite the thing to try to explain to people wondering what's going on, lol.

I know Marvelous confirmed when asked by confused people that Doraemon: Story of Seasons was NOT the Bokumono game they had promised for Switch, that they were working on the next mainline game themselves and I'm wondering if this remake is what they meant.

Personally, I'm really hoping not. I've been really looking forward to the next totally new SoS game, following in the footsteps of Trio rather than backtracking to days of yore. I have always preferred the newer games over the older ones, particularly in the art style. But I know there are different factions of fans, so what may disappoint me is what hypes others right up. Still, I really don't know what to expect next!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  4. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  5. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

Not only that, the name they appear to be going with is in fact Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town. I wonder if this will end up pulling in the contingent of the Harvest Moon fanbase that are still unaware classic Harvest Moon and Story of Seasons are the same series.

I'm not really a Harvest Moon/SoS guy personally, but I find the whole Marvelous/Natsume thing very interesting from an outsider's perspective, and this is probably the most interesting development since Natsume started releasing their own Harvest Moons (with blackjack and hookers).

6. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I'm a HUGE Bokumono fan...it's why I came to this forum in the first place. Don't get me wrong...I love Trails, it's a top favourite, but I don't actually like following news or conversations on it...it's the type of game I want to experience without any spoilers or preconceptions at all, so I prefer to avoid discussion about the series, for the most part, and I'm far more interested the individual lives of the characters than about the series-spanning plot or the world or the lore, so I don't like to analyze things that much. I like Ys, too, but more casually, so...Bokujo Monogatari is definitely what brought me here, as I love to follow every twist and turn...it's not really a game that can be spoilered or over-discussed, for me.

Anyway, yeah. Since it is a remake and combines the content of both FoMT and MFoMT, I thought they might go with the translation I saw on Gematsu and other places...Story of Seasons: Reunion in Mineral Town. Or Return to Mineral Town. But going directly for Friends of Mineral Town, with SoS in place of HM, I wondered about that, too. The fandom is still so confused, it's hard to know if this is going to make the confusion even deeper, or if it will make more people become aware of how things actually happened.

What's extra unusual is that, to me, the game looks graphically like it has a little more in common with Natsume's Light of Hope than with Trio of Towns. Maybe because it's a remake and they wanted it to have a little of that retro feel? I feel like I'm going to have to drop a lot of explanations on SoS vs HM in comments sections of gaming articles in the next few months, lol.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  7. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Loads of new info about the game has come out via two interviews done with Nakano (of the development team) at ChinaJoy. Check them out here: https://www.reddit.com/r/RanchStory/comments/cs4jm1/switch_story_of_seasons_friends_of_mineral_town/

There's also a screenshot of the last bachelor. I just KNEW he was gonna be a redhead! (Well...Guess I didn't KNOW. I just really had a feeling he would be.)

Nice that the "Best Friends" system is back. Wonder how that's gonna be translated now that Xseed's in control.

8. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

QUESTION FOR XSEED!

At ChinaJoy there were 2 interviews with Mr. Nakano of the development team. The information was summarized for us on reddit, here: https://www.reddit.com/r/RanchStory/comments/cs4jm1/switch_story_of_seasons_friends_of_mineral_town/. It says that the 'best friends' option from DS Cute has been added to the game, and that it has been 'made available to everyone'.

However, other folks able to read Japanese have said that the interview this information comes from (http://www.a9vg.com/article/51397) does NOT mention the best-friends system being available to 'everyone', but rather, only when you are playing the MALE MC.

Can you confirm if the best-friend system is available whether you are playing as the male MC or the female MC?

Disclaimer: please note that *I* am not among those who can read Japanese, so I can only rely on what those who can have told me.

EDIT: I've never "at"-ed anyone in my life, so I'm not sure about this, but... @alena @Calros ? Possibly @Daaku ?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  9. Calros

Calros Administrator

Hi Kikki,
    While we've announced that we're working on Friends of Mineral Town, unfortunately we're not ready to say anything else about the game yet. Sorry I can't be of more help, but please keep an eye on our social media channels for updates!

Kikki likes this.
  10. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Thank you for the reply :) I'll definitely be watching. Already got an eye on you guys on Twitter in case you say anything about RF4S!

o_O

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019