Net Neutrality, rah rah.

Discussion in 'Mostly Harmless (Serious Discussion)' started by Ghaleon, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

Ok I just have to get something off my chest here. I've heard both sides of this argument, and the vast majority of it on both sides sounds like BS to me. The internet is this really big thing, and changing a core building block regarding it is going to potentially effect it in ways nobody can predict with certainty. Any time I hear someone say it will do this or this will happen and say it like anyone who doesn't agree is a sell out or moron or greedy corporate shill or nazi or whatever... I just think they are in fact the moron or greedy shill or whatever. Sometimes the most intelligent thing to do is recognize that you don't really know what something is, and I honestly think the internet is just way too big and chaotic for anyone to know. Rather than fight and insult people who think this may be a good or bad thing, I think it's more important to try and mimize the potential damages you feel the 'wrong' choice is capable by working together with it.

The other thing I don't get is that the people who are crying that it's the end of the internet as we know it now, that this is the work of big corporations and the FCC is 'selling out' or whatever... Uhh.. The BIGGEST internet corporations I can think of, google, facebook, apple... All of them were happy with how it was. So why the heck is doing what they DON'T want 'corporate shilling'... it doesn't make any damn sense.

2. Captain Falcon

Captain Falcon Well-Known Member

Well, for starters, the corporations that are being referred to are the ISPs: the guys that control internet access. And let's be clear: regardless of what will or won't happen, the end of NN ONLY helps those big ISPs. It provides no conceivable benefit to anybody else. The reason that Facebook, Google, et al. are for NN is because they don't control the internet infrastructure. Meaning that, sans NN, they could hypothetically be forced to pay extra money to not have access to them throttled. As well, giving the ISPs full control means that they could very well block off content they don't want you to have access to. Again, this situation helps nobody except Comcast, Verizon, etc.

3. Leon Tekashi

Leon Tekashi Active Member

To add on to those ISPs blocking sites, there's a possibility that some of us won't be able to access this site because of our providers, so unless Net Neutrality gets repealed completely, you can say good bye to some of us really.

4. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

I think its also note worthy to point out that this plan may back fire big time on them, I think ISPs expecting everyone to conform may or may not work. ISPs are not giving any detailed information about what these new policies are really going to consist of, just general drivel to keep everyone temporarily at bay. Did you guys see the video the FCC put out?

I dont know what kind of ideas they are trying to divert every ones attention from with this, but clearly they wouldnt be making this huge deal about wanting to change everything if everything you can do online stays the same. I think the more important list here would have been the things you cant do once the repeal happens, but that wouldnt be a positive look towards their goals now would it? Yet again, we get treated like live stock and have things forced upon us whether we like it or not for hand fulls of cash for already wealthy companies just so suits can see the lines on their charts trend upward "For the Almighty can do no wrong Corporation!".

5. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

It's worth pointing out in countries without this sort of ruling on internet traffic not being allowed to be discriminated against regardless of its origin have multiple price packages you have to pay for depending on what types of things you want to use the internet for.
    So it's not just the amount of data you pay for, you're paying specifically for the type, so it's all just to squeeze more money out of both customers and companies that do business over the internet (as they can slow down say, Netflix, unless Netflix agrees to pay them extra).

This can also ruin your smaller internet businesses as they won't be able to deal with ISP throttling their communication, so it hurts a lot of the diversity of the internet as well.

6. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

I doubt site access tiers and outright blocking/censoring would happen anytime soon.

But throttling is almost certainly something that ISPs will try to pull, to force Internet-based companies to fork over cash for their customers to access things at full speed. That and bandwidth limits for "third party" services while a company's own services and partnered services (read: companies that pay them) are unlimited.

7. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

They've already been caught doing it multiple times in the past in America alone.
    The idea that they won't try and do it again is incredibly naive.