Neo Atlas 1469 (PS Vita, Artdink, New World exploration)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by PasokonDeacon, Jul 1, 2016.

1. PasokonDeacon

PasokonDeacon Member

Recently Artdink announced they're remaking one of their 20-year-old classic sim games, 1995's Neo Atlas.

It's a historical exploration game where you manage a fleet of explorers, ships, and materials representing whichever client/country you're working for; much like in Uncharted Waters 2, you play a character in the overall story and can shape the future of how Europeans view the world map. The only set goal in the Atlas games is filling out the world map to completion, however you like, and with as many historical inaccuracies as desired. Along the way you'll have to navigate safe journeys, keep your resources in check, start and handle ongoing trade between the two hemispheres, and progress your character's story. Artdink's first Atlas game released in 1991 on the NEC PC-98 to acclaim, but ended right around the turn of the millennium...until now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Natsume USA localized A-Train 3DS last year, which I bought and greatly enjoyed both because of its complexity and how it taught me better how to enjoy a dense Artdink sim game than their previous games. I'm expecting the same from Neo Atlas 1469, and XSEED should definitely look into localizing this release. What other game lets you endlessly retrace a Renaissance map of the world, complete with krakens in Hudson Bay and waterfalls spilling hapless vessels off the edge of the Earth? The differences between this and Koei's Uncharted Waters series, too, are worth mentioning. Neo Atlas has a higher level of accessibility, focus purely on exploring safely and thoroughly, and less dramatic stories for characters who themselves aren't the center of their world and societies. The most recent Uncharted Waters game is online-only, too, making Neo Atlas 1469 more practical for portable use. All of the Atlas games have a distinct visual design and ornateness mimicking the time period, albeit with modern touches.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This releases in Japan on the 27th of October this year, just after Artdink's 30th anniversary.

2. Kresnik

Kresnik New Member

I really need to see more of this game before forming an opinion, but in principle it's the kind of thing I'd absolutely love. Think it'd be a tough sell in the west though.

3. PasokonDeacon

PasokonDeacon Member

Actually, I'm certain Artdink's only remaking this because one of their designers, Yoichi Yamaguchi, rejoined a decade earlier and likely wants to revisit the series he started (before leaving to form FlipFlop and make games like ToPoLo for PS1). There's plenty of reasons for Artdink and XSEED to partner up (or maybe Natsume, given that they've brought over A-Train: City Simulator and Carnage Heart EXA previously).