NaNoWriMo!

Discussion in 'Mostly Harmless (Serious Discussion)' started by Akeashar, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Akeashar

Akeashar Active Member

It's that time of the year, where the National Novel Writing Month occurs. For those that aren't aware, essentially its a worldwide event thats been going on for years now, where writers, either professional, aspiring or hacks like yours truly, try to get 50k words in a new novel out of their system

The site can be found over here if folks are interested:

http://nanowrimo.org/dashboard

Out of curiosity, is anyone else taking part?

I've put aside my primary novel for the moment (79.3k words in! Its already a novel... but its not gotten aynwhere!) to take part in NaNoWriMo.

My working title is 'A Call to Flashmob' and I'm going to try and write it as a satire of the world today, set in Australia and with an eye for politics, sociopolitical shenanigans, government, social media and a heavy heaping of ultaviolence and bad language through the lens inspired by Monty Python and Terry Pratchett.

3.8k words in on day 1! (here in Oz)

2. Akeashar

Akeashar Active Member

Well, finished it up on the last day, in the last hour or so.

Final Word count - 50,239 words during November.

It was a bit up and down with some really bad points of time in there depression-wise which knocked me completely off the silly funny absurdist comedy I'd started with, that became more biting, before slipping into full on Gorn at times for the finale. But... I did it. Even the last part of it suffers from Xenogears Disk 2 syndrome, where because of time constraints I ended up just briefly outlining the major events that happened along the path to the ending. I had to write out one or two bits in full I'd initially skipped to get past the 50k mark tho

But in the end, its a story thats there to tear down sacred cows out there, to stick its middle finger ups up at the establishment, and take liberal aim at the left wing, and conservative pot shots at the right wing. No one is safe.

If it does end up posted somewhere, and people do read it, reflect on themselves and realize how they come across to the rest of the world and back away from their extremism... then good. It'll have served its purpose. Just remember, life should be about Luv and Pea Soup.

Oh well, now I get to go back to my regular serious 79k word novel, and start writing school life in Japan in the early 90s! Let the good times roll.

Arvelon likes this.