Modern Console Port ?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Redcomet, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Redcomet

Redcomet New Member

Considering that you now have resource to outsource work for multiple port of falcom title for pc at once ?Why are you so unwilling to do any port of your old title on the ps4 or switch ? I am asking because the excuse lacking resource, not longer seem valid. Now if you believe you don't have audience on those platform for those game, that valid argument and I will leave this topic alone in that case ? But I would like you to said those word upfront.Since those port are up to you . Considering that falcom is willing to let any company they trust to do port of theirs games. At such I decision for doing this is up to you guys, since falcom would not stop you from doing this.

2. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

You're comparing two different things here.

It's completely unreasonable to expect any company to keep porting everything they release to new platforms. And if they were going to pick and choose certain games, what would be the criteria? Sales? Some of your favorites may still not get ported. And depending on licensing terms it may not even be possible. They wouldn't be able to port Brave Story, for example.

The difference with PC is that it is, for the most part, a one time deal. A game is put on PC and the company can continue to earn revenue off that port for years due to PC not having distinct generations. That's not really the case with a console, where, say, Shadow Hearts Covenant was released on PS2 and would have needed three ports to be playable on the full PS family of consoles as time went on.

3. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

There's also the fact that porting to PC is a very different beast than porting to console. You can find a lot of programmers who are able to port from console to PC, but far fewer who are able to do the reverse, since it's a much more specialized skill set (and, in some cases -- as with the Wii U or Switch -- requires the licensing and distribution of a development kit, further complicating matters).

That said, it is something we've been looking into! So maybe sometime in the future, we'll be able to fund, say, console ports of previously PC-only games.

We have no such projects to announce at this time, however, as we still don't have the resources available to pull something like this off.

-Tom

Omage_X likes this.
  4. Redcomet

Redcomet New Member

I don't own a switch nor know much about it in when it come to it's coding , at such I will leave that console alone. I only asked , because I know some people also wanted falcom game on that console. An since I am requesting a port for the ps4 already I might as well include them in my question. But when it come to coding difficulty for the ps4 it should not be that major of a hurdle. Mine you it still take a bit of effort and cost , but it does not seem to that Herculean task nor as costly as it used to be for small company to port pc to console like it was for past gen console .Evidence for this is the large increase indie company that now port their game from pc to console, compare to last gen. At such unless the game is non-compatible with the ps4 controller.Than the only reason ever for not porting to ps4, hast to be their market data showing they have not audience for it on ps4, to make it worth it.Since that data is not publicly made available , than I will take xseed word for it. Since they should know best on that issue. Hence, why I ask in such straightforward way .So that I don't have to keep requesting for ps4 port for some of their pc only game. Also I am only asking about falcom title, as they're company that are okay with other company porting their games.I am sorry for any feeling hostility that could be perceive in my question, but I has less to with the situation. An more to do with my dislike of ambiguous answer to question. I tend to prefer flat not to question than maybe.But I will instead wait for this years playstation experience announcement. If their not port announcement I will take as not to answer to my question unless stated by xseed otherwise in the future and leave this topic alone.Since I just personally don't like repeating this same question, for any of your future pc only title from falcom.

5. Redcomet

Redcomet New Member

One more thing I felt I forgot to clarify on my last post. Want I meant hearing not news after this year playstation experience is that I will stop posting question regarding this matter and leave this topic alone for foreseeable future. So even if it's next year or even further in the future, you do manage to get something something working for a pc to console project. I will still immediately support that port and purchase it .Also if you do manage to get something working for a pc to console port, please announce a few month in advance. So that I can plan to save up money for that purchase.

6. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

We're not programmers, so I can't say exactly why there are fewer programming houses capable of porting games to console than to PC. As you said, the PS4 architecture makes it seem like it should be a breeze. But the fact is, there just aren't that many freelance or contract programmers who offer that service! They're usually PC programmers -- maybe PC programmers who can port games *from* console, but never programmers who can port things *to* console.

If you know of any good programmers who can handle such tasks, feel free to have them email us via comments@xseedgames.com -- we'd love to get in touch with a few!

-Tom

7. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

This all I need to hear I can wait 10000 years if you guys can do this :)

8. nivora

nivora Active Member

you quote Indie developers that have been doing this recently but do you have an example? In the case of recent developed (this gen) games it has becomes a lot easier to port to several platforms. Porting from old generations to a new one is a completely different beast.

9. Clessy

Clessy Member

The only game I can honestly see worth you guys time and effort is to port CS1/2 to ps4 as the finale is on ps4. Update it to 1080/60fps and then 4k 60fps on pro. Other than that its hard to really figure out what needs next gen ports and why. The reason this is logical is having a series broken up to multiple console generations always sucks.

10. Wargamer

Wargamer Member

Programming on console is a lot different than PC even if it's the same thing, mostly because PC = windows for the most part, the other is that you need a PC to make the game.
    Also the API are different and since most of those games are not made with magic game engine that handle it for you, you need to know what you're doing.
    Trophies, remote play and all that jazz need to be included too, it takes as much time as using steamwork on PC. If the game is online you need to use Sony's matchmaking unless you want to suffer.
    Also you need to make everything work with a gamepad and if it's a PC only game, the UI is usually not made to work with anything but a mouse.
    Also that's just me but it's a pain to have a PS4 plugged in to a screen and have to upload your game to it every single time you want to test something.
    It's also dumb but you have to handle the case when the controller batteries die and pause the game, which mean you have to check for that all the time.
    Also sometime the console don't support the language or extras you want to use, like how the xbone didn't support the .NET framework even though Microsoft is behind both.

It's nothing really hard, just tedious and most indie programmers simply went to code for smartphone because that's where everyone went.