Localization Scares

Discussion in 'Mostly Harmless (Serious Discussion)' started by Dancougar, Dec 6, 2015.

1. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

I never said it was just Australia that was making issues for these sort of things (I imagine Germany would be the biggest offender in that regard when checking out their law), but that is a country where a company as risk averse as Nintendo would probably not want to risk offending. It is not very hard for niche games to fly under the radar so I doubt it would even be much of a problem in the worse countries if a game like TMS was left unchanged (and the content in the game is not that bad).

Looking at the Australian law in question it seems like it might more apply to "adult" entertainment than video games, so maybe I and others took it the wrong way.

Either way I feel you Akeashar; I get the same way when people blame the US for the same stuff.

2. Akeashar

Akeashar Active Member

Surprisingly enough we actually get most games down here, sometimes sooner than everyone else. Given the reputation Australia has, its kind of surprising walking through just regular electronics stores and finding copies of Dungeon Travelers 2 among other releases sitting there. One of the reasons I picked up an AU New 3DS, rather than replacing my NA 3DS with an NA Newie was that we'd been getting the Phoenix Wright games months before anyone else.

On the subject of the TMS changes, given that I'm probably one of the few people that actually enjoys Idol games, and stories about the industry, I'm finding it harder to bring myself to put a preorder down just because of the changes. I can't think of the last time that someone rewrote an entire Chapter of a game for... reasons. It can't be a cultural thing, since beauty pageants and modelling are worldwide. All it really does is drag Atlus' name through the mud as well.

3. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

The blame can probably be set pretty safely on Nintendo's end, considering their past track record, however. They don't seem to want anything that's against their self-set standards (which is more 'family-friendly' than a T rating would be).

The showbusiness/idol theming is apparently more of a backdrop, it doesn't have a lot to say about it, unlike Persona 4 Dancing All Night, which had a lot to say about the idol business.

4. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

5. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

Is it bad that I can't bring myself to care about any of that?

Wait, actually I do have an opinion on the bikini costume change. It's freaking hilarious.

6. DustyStarr

I love the costume too. X3 I'll gladly use it if the game dips below like 30 bucks.

7. Theswweet

Theswweet Active Member

It either means that you're cynical about all this or you just don't care about what the changes are.

I'd say it's important to look at, along with Fire Emblem Fates, for an example of how NOT to localize a game. God NoA has been embarrassing these last few years, though especially these last few months.

8. DustyStarr

We don't really know the quality of the localization for TMS yet, apart from the censorship. Atlus is handling that anyways, so even if it is crap it wouldn't be their doing.

As for FE Fates... I mean the writing bas meh, but there was not exactly a lot they could do with the poor writing in the original source material. If they went back and rewrote more people would get mad over that, not a lot of ways out in that scenario. I think some of the changes in the localization are better than the literal fan translation. Or was there some sorta censorship in Fates too? I forget.

9. Akeashar

Akeashar Active Member

So, since Chapter 2 was completely rewritten and redubbed by the japanese VAs from being about the exploitation of gravure models its now... what... the difficulty of anyone taking you seriously as an idol when you dress like Kriss Kross meets Avril Levange?

10. Theswweet

Theswweet Active Member

Fair enough. I'm more than certain that the censorship was NoA's decision, but any non-censorship related issues are definitely on Atlus.

As for Fates; there was a lot of censorship, and a lot of support dialogues were rewritten totally changing character's personalities. The other big problem I had with Fates is that the dub was absolutely terrible.

11. DustyStarr

I do not really know where the changes in personalities were, but there are cases where I imagine it was an improvement. Henry from what I hear in Awakening was mildly more interesting. Of course I really can't defend anything unless I see the literal translations and the localized versions and compare. I imagine some was unnecessary... but again, when you have such a bad script to work with. As for the dub, I agree it was pretty stilted, though the Japanese did not sound any better.

Honestly I just think the game is not that good (from a character/story/writing perspective), so I guess that makes it hard for me to hate NoA for the changes (or whoever they had to localize it; not sure if it was in house or or done by a different group). X3

I'll definitely need to look into the censorship though... I was not following the localization very closely as it was ongoing, so I must have missed it. Was it more censoring bikinis and such?

12. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

Although sometimes their rewriting of characters worked out well. Everyone loves Gregor! They also made sure the 'generic father' support dialogue actually reflected the person's manner.
    Awakening was someone else, not Treehouse.

Although Fire Emblem has had a long history of reworking characters sometimes in localisation.

Not heard of many drastic entire personality changes in Fates, though I was avoiding reading much about deliberately.

13. Dancougar

Dancougar New Member

Then you can buy a butchered product at full price I ain't

14. DustyStarr

I don't think he intends to buy it at full price.

15. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel. I had a good laugh when I saw that change.

16. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

"Butchered" is such an exaggerated word to use for this stuff. It's like when the guy was talking about "core content" being changed in Star Ocean when the change was the size of some panties that you had to awkwardly and specifically tilt the camera to even see.

And I'm not paying full price for this. Even if I do get it day one it will be $43, and even then I'd still rather wait for a price drop but I'm not sure it's going to have enough availability to get one.

17. Dancougar

Dancougar New Member

Some people don't like having their intelligence or maturity insulted

whattya know

18. Dancougar

Dancougar New Member

http://nichegamer.com/2016/06/01/criminal-girls-2-party-favors-heads-west-in-september-2016/

19. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

20. Akeashar

Akeashar Active Member

A fun quote for everyone regarding the Gal*Gun: Double Peace localisation:

"Some of you are with me. Others are wondering how a game like this gets approved for Western release. According to publisher PCube, it was surprisingly easy. They expected a fight, and it just breezed right through. Having enjoyed that success, the publisher is also bringing Valkyrie Drive, the game about girls making out to turn each other into weapons, to the West later this year. Apparently all they had to do was ask."

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/07/galgun-double-peace-is-exactly-what-it-looks-like/

And of course GG:DP has an R18+ in Australia for 'Sexual activity related to incentives and rewards' but at least it's not banned! :D